Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times

Advertisements

One Saturday a 107 year old house that was condemned was set on fire for a control burn training lesson. I got wind of it when I first smelled smoke then heard a neighbor say that they were burning the old house up the hill. I hopped on my bicycle after grabbing my camera and rode up the street to take pictures. Right off the bat I noticed my low battery flashing and I did not bring an extra. I ended up taking 53 photos of the burn. The last few photos show the front wall and window of the house still burning and then the wall collapses except for a few upright pieces and they looked like a tombstone with a cross engulfed in flames with a newer home in the background. This was the second stage to opening an 85 home sub division. I submitted the photo to the McKinleyville Press and it is going to be on the front page this Wednesday with my suggested title of "Ashes to Ashes". I was in the office with the editor as he was setting it up for print. I know the editor very well, he used to be a neighbor and I adopted his dog a year and a half ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Ashes to Ashes-kjerhouseburn1.jpg   Ashes to Ashes-kjerhouseburn2.jpg   Ashes to Ashes-kjerhouseburn3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Great shots! The vibrancy of the blue sky with the starkness of the burning building is quite distinctive. One nit-pik: the first photo has one of the firemen cut in half on the left edge. Having the "full body" would, I think, give a greater sense of being a complete shot.

The historian in me wonders if the house had any links to the timber industry out there. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography