Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,753 times

Advertisements

Our new assignments will begin on the 15th and 30th of each month and will not close. Assignments will remain open so new people to the forum can add to them.

Assignment #40 Black and White

This assignment is for 2Goldens, although most of us dont have access to B&W film, conversions in PP will have to do. 2Goldens had spent some time around B&W photography and requested this. I am hoping she will tell us her story of being around B&W work. Lets try to be really creative with this, try to find a subject that really pops in B&W, or enhances the drama, maybe it sets the mood and lets the photo speak for itself !

Assignment rules

1) Photos must be taken on or after assignment start date

2) Photos must stay on topic

3) Multiple posts per assignment are fine, but please attach only 1 photo per post. No back to back posting allowed

4) Photos must be resized to no larger than 640x480

5) Critique other photos, but be nice and keep it constructive

6) Most importantly, be creative and have fun with the assignment

Have fun with this and lets see what everyone comes up with !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:13 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
When taking b&w pictures one needs to pay close attention to composition, lighting, perspective and the context, because their only power to stand out depends on its ability to communicate rather than on its appealing visual presentation. I love pictures in b&w!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 AM

Thanks for assisting Elnina, being a noob I really dont have a full understanding of the different types of subjects and how to best desribe it or achieve it . I hope more of the experienced shooters chime in with advice and pointers for everyone as well. When I think of B&W it always has a powerful emotion behind the picture. A lot of what we see is street photography and the B&W really enhances the mood of the subject I think. Im hoping to step out the comfort zone for this and find some great subjects.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:21 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Is this assignment about the contrast between black and white objects, or is this about taking a photograph in color and turning it into black & white? I think there is a difference between the two. Just not sure what the assignment is going for. There was an assignment on this in the past, and the intent of that one was to be able to practice exposure on very contrasting colors...black and white. Is this the same thing or is it taking an entire photo and converting it to B&W? Confused...

ETA: Is it this: Assignment #18: Black on White/White on Black
or this: Black and White Photos

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 06-16-2010 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,780 times
I'd just like to share a suggestion I read somewhere that may help some of the newbies. The suggestion was that if you'd like to test a subject to see if it works well in black and white, set black and white on your camera and take a photo then look at it. Then reshoot the photo in color and convert in post processing as you get more to work with, and it will result in a better photo. There's more than one way to do this in post-processing, but some ways work better than others.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Thanks for the tip! I love good black and white photos but appreciate how challenging they are! Looking forward to the challenge....

Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Bibit, this is not the contrast between the 2 colors. We are talking about B&W photography. I thought my reference to B&W film would have made this clear, I should have made a better attempt so everyone would know what we were after, sorry for that .

We are looking for subjects that B&W accentuates the mood or feeling of the picture, a homeless person, an old building, an old abandoned car or what ever we come across that has a strong subject. We want the B&W to really make an impact on the subject. I mostly see this type of work in Street or Photojournalism.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 PM

OK here's my first try!!! I'm enjoying this one......I have a lot to learn but it's been fun thinking about it! I shot this earlier today on my driving back home across the state. This si the Desert Inn in Yeehaw Junction, Florida.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 PM

Taken this afternoon in Dade City, FLorida.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Taken this afternoon in Dade City, FLorida.

Wow, that is a nice shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography