Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 PM

15 posts, read 87,622 times

Advertisements

Looking at buying a house in that area but not really sure about if it is declining or not. it looks like a quiet and slightly boring neighborhood. We originally wanted something in north east sunnyslope but all the houses we make offers on go to auction. So we found a house near 32nd and shea in our price range and i just want to get an idea that we won't be bored there. we're a married couple with a dog and no kids.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,794 times
I lived in that area in the apartments on the northwest corner of 32nd Street and Shea, and my recommendation would be to stay away from those apartments. I left due to a lot of drug activity and what looked to me like prostitution going on there. Personally, I'd stay south of Shea, my favorite area being where 32nd Street dead-ends into the preserve. You may also hear about a shooting that occurred at the Mexican restaurant by the bowling alley. That happened several years ago and I don't hear about crime in that area these days. I'd say overall, it is a nice quiet area, certainly one I personally would choose over Sunnyslope.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:30 PM

5 posts, read 12,794 times
Regarding Shea a good rule of thumb is to stay east of 40th street. The neighborhoods go from great to really bad in a hurry.

You are still close to some great shopping areas at Shea/Tatum, and Kierland is not terribly far.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:38 PM

15 posts, read 87,622 times
bad in what sense and what direction. we are looking south of shea near 32nd near shadow mountain high not far from the mountain. the homes look decently cared for. we've visited the area at different times of day and see practically no one milling around so it's been hard to assess the place

Old 03-10-2010, 03:57 PM

725 posts, read 2,321,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesiesteve View Post
Looking at buying a house in that area but not really sure about if it is declining or not. it looks like a quiet and slightly boring neighborhood. We originally wanted something in north east sunnyslope but all the houses we make offers on go to auction. So we found a house near 32nd and shea in our price range and i just want to get an idea that we won't be bored there. we're a married couple with a dog and no kids.
That's the Paradise Valley area - not the town itself, but a middle-class Suburban area of Phx. It is pretty non-happening thru there but you have all the Stores and services you need.

Good choice to stay away from Sunnyslope - that's a pretty scuzzy section!!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,936 times
Shea is good all the way through. 32nd/Shea is fine. A little boring, but close enough to a lot of good eating and shopping areas.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
Much better than the Sunnyslope area, you shouldn't have any real problems.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM

203 posts, read 491,243 times
We just bought at 36th and Shea..but on the preserve...south of Shea and on the better side of the 51. Key to that area is being south of shea. It's a weird area (much like central phoenix) where you have million dollar homes and then home $200k homes. My opinion is that it's a great area (for the most part) with its proximity to PV and 51. But as the posters above have mentioned, it really depends on the exact block you're looking at...your block may be beautiful or it may be more sketchy...and that's somewhat of the charm. Most of this neighborhood is very old people and it will be interesting to see what happens when they die and younger people move in and update the homes...a lot of which has already happened. Are you looking east of west of the 51?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
We just bought at 36th and Shea..but on the preserve...south of Shea and on the better side of the 51. Key to that area is being south of shea. It's a weird area (much like central phoenix) where you have million dollar homes and then home $200k homes. My opinion is that it's a great area (for the most part) with its proximity to PV and 51. But as the posters above have mentioned, it really depends on the exact block you're looking at...your block may be beautiful or it may be more sketchy...and that's somewhat of the charm. Most of this neighborhood is very old people and it will be interesting to see what happens when they die and younger people move in and update the homes...a lot of which has already happened. Are you looking east of west of the 51?
Funny - I'm near 36th north of Shea (actually, north of Cholla). The neighborhood is fine, though not as nice as south of Shea. And you're right about it being block by block - my street has a few not so nice looking homes, but I've never felt like it's a sketchy hood. Seems pretty middle of the road around here unless you start looking north of Sweetwater.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 PM

216 posts, read 732,029 times
reesiesteve: BORING is a GOOD thing!!! You want action and excitement? Then South Mountain area & Maryvale are it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: