Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,474,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Intel has 2 huge locations in Chandler, and just recently invested millions expanding and upgrading it's Ocotillo location to produce some of their new product. I've often thought how horrible it would be if one of our major employers like Intel decided to leave the state entirely. They are one of the best employers here as far as compensation. Hopefully they'll stick around a while, and I know they have attracted other (smaller) semiconductor operations to the Price Road corridor as well. We just need to get more diversity in the type of employment.
Funny you brought up Intell. I just applied with them. We will see how it goes.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM

91 posts, read 247,384 times
I would still like to know what the OP's masters degree is in? So what is it? sorry if they did end up posting but I read 5 pages and no response other than something very vague....so let people know exactly what your degree is in then they can add input.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,376,581 times
I was in DC last April and I was a little disappointed. I heard so many great things about it but I didn't experience that. It was not that big and I wasn't really impressed with the restaurant and nightlife. It was nothing like New York or Boston in terms of amenities. The best thing I liked about DC was its mass transit. I don't know why someone would live in D.C. if they can live in New York. D.C. doesn't really offer any advantages including cost of living over New York. If you are going to live in that area, why not just live in NY or Boston?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,255,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I was in DC last April and I was a little disappointed. I heard so many great things about it but I didn't experience that. It was not that big and I wasn't really impressed with the restaurant and nightlife. It was nothing like New York or Boston in terms of amenities. The best thing I liked about DC was its mass transit. I don't know why someone would live in D.C. if they can live in New York. D.C. doesn't really offer any advantages including cost of living over New York. If you are going to live in that area, why not just live in NY or Boston?
You noticed that as well?

Why I say that is a New Yorker I knew made essentially the same observations about DC as you re: amenities.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM

569 posts, read 1,066,438 times
DC does NOT have the amenities, nightlife, or big buildings of NY, Boston, Chicago, etc. If you want true big-city living, DC is not your place. If you're like me and actively dislike living in the shadow of huge buildings, don't need (or even enjoy in my case) clubbing and/or routinely staying out drinking until 4am then DC can work out. DC offers a better suburban life. Because of the nature of it (not many people actually live within the city proper) it has pretty active and walkable suburbs with lots of little bars and good restaurants. There are plenty of sports that would be hard to do if you lived in the middle of one of those other cities, and some well known concert venues in the burbs. It also has FAR milder winters than any of the other cities mentioned here. While comparable, the cost of living is cheaper than NY and Boston, especially when you take into account what you get. Yes, you have to pay nearly $2000 / month for a 2-bedroom apartment that is just outside the city and near a metro station, but you're going to get more for that in DC than you will in most of the other cities.

DC is also more recession proof and has a more stable economy because of the government, which is what this thread was about anyway. So let's stop hijacking this thread into a DC comparison (myself included) and get back on topic, which is where the OP can go to find jobs. And yeah, we still need to know what his degrees are in (both undergrad and masters).

Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM

75 posts, read 130,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I have yet to meet anyone who actually said that they could make ends meet on unemployment. Some are dipping into their 401Ks to make ends meet. I really feel sorry for people with families.
That is the point where I am at.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I have cut my expenses significantly. If I cut my expenses any more, I will be cutting things like rent, utilities, food, and asthma medication. Those are the only things I am paying for now. My student loans are on deferment meaning that I am going to be paying back hefty interest as soon as I gain employment. I am not paying any entertainment expenses. My internet is free wi-fi offered by places like Barnes and Noble or I go to the library.

I would be happy to work in retail, waitress, fast food, or factory work. I have applied for these jobs and continue to apply for these jobs. I haven't had any luck yet.

The only thing stopping me from going back to school is my 20,000 dollar student loan debt that I currently have. If I were to get financial aid like grants or scholarships, I would HAPPILY return to school. I am very hesitant to add to existing student loan debt. I am currently taking some free online classes to add to my skill set.
Cutting expenses is perennial during these times.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,157,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I lived in the DC area for 6 months.

Got the Hades outta there pronto.

I noticed the same things.

Heh.

And folks think our summers are "bad."

Not to mention the COLA.

We have much better golf courses here in AZ too.

And better hunting, fishing, etc.

But I did like the Metro.....

Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I definitely could pay all my bills (including rent, car insurance, gas, food) on $265 a week. I have been living on less than that ($200 a week) for years.
Wow, that is disciplined.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If the end of consumption is what you want then be willing to accept a very protracted recovery, if recovery ever comes. You could be unemployed for the rest of your life.
I would rather have temporary pain and long-term economic growth, rather than temporary alleviation and long-term economic blight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area