Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,571,457 times

Advertisements

As a retired boomer, is it necessary to live in Arizona Traditions area by D.R. Horton in order to meet lots of other boomers or could one just live in the city of Surprise to meet others?
When I looked at the prices of some of the really nice condos in Surprise that are so much cheaper than D.R. Horton's Arizona Traditions section, I started wondering...hmmmm...worth it or not?
Anyone know anybody living at Arizona Traditions? Any knowledge of the real benefit in living there vs. just living in Surprise in a nice condo or house?
I value your opinion as I haven't been out there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,179,707 times
There are many retired boomers in Surprise and you should have no trouble meeting them if you are into activties or clubs. Arizona Traditions has an established community, but there are others that might interest you like Sun City Grand (which is in Surprise) or Corte Bella which is Sun City West.

If you choose not to go into a "community", the City of Surprise has a nice community center and park where you can go to meet people or attend events. Some people like to join clubs such as hiking, biking, tennis, etc. or perhaps a church to meet people.

Most of the people moving here from other parts of the country are like yourself. So they are friendly and easy to meet.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,723 times
If you're retired, you can live anywhere in the Surprise area and feel at home. There's countless resources and organizations available, endless social gatherings and so on, no need to become a member of a community like Traditions.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Thank you, Juram. That will save me plenty of money.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,059,702 times
You should definitely take a tour of Arizona Traditions to see the amenities for yourself. In addition to golf, they have pickleball, swimming and tons of other activities. I found a home for a couple that moved here from California. They didn't know anyone...and immediately met numberous new friends. They love it there!

There are several wonderful retirement communities.....it will depend on your personality, wants and needs, to decide what works best for you.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 AM

I just don't want to spend over $120K at most. I'd go condo, too. One thing I love out there is no cutting the grass most places..haha!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:16 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,059,702 times
Sounds like a condo will work best for you. And, you can always joing the Surprise Senior Center for $12 if you feel the need for group activities.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,415 times
im moveing from IN to EL PASA OR SURPRISE AREA,IS IT SAFE BEING CAPITOL FOR KIDDNAPPING THER?ALSO HOW HARD IS IT TO VENTURE OUT N FIND THINGS AND ROADS NOT GET LOST,HOWS PART TIME JOBS THER IM ON DISABILITY IS THER NICE PLACES THER? AND HOW DO U COPE WITH THE SCORPIONS AND SPIDERS AND SNAKES THER EEEWWWWHHH!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,785,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugabush333 View Post
im moveing from IN to EL PASA OR SURPRISE AREA,IS IT SAFE BEING CAPITOL FOR KIDDNAPPING THER?ALSO HOW HARD IS IT TO VENTURE OUT N FIND THINGS AND ROADS NOT GET LOST,HOWS PART TIME JOBS THER IM ON DISABILITY IS THER NICE PLACES THER? AND HOW DO U COPE WITH THE SCORPIONS AND SPIDERS AND SNAKES THER EEEWWWWHHH!
Sagabrush, I never worry about kidnapping. I believe most of that is attributed to drugs and illegal smuggling, and an occasional divorce custody situation.

The roads are well market just as in any other major city, so there should be no problem finding your way around. A gps helps, and I use it a lot when I'm out showing houses because it makes it easier to just concentrate on driving and let my gps guide me.

There are lots of nice places in Surprise area. I don't work that area, but there are other people on here that can give you information.

Snakes are mostly in the desert. I've never seen one.
We spray our yards around the house to kill spiders, crickets, and other scorpion food. The scorpions need that food to survive.

I've been here 6 years and have only seen one scorpion in my yard.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugabush333 View Post
Please try not to post in all caps. It's very hard to read, and it "sounds", on the internet, like you are yelling.

Please don't worry about the "kidnapping" issue that the media has blown out of proportion. Unless you are involved in the drug trade or alien smuggling, you will be perfectly safe on that score.

The roads are pretty much on a grid in most cities, so it is easy to find your way around. Part time work is something that you ought to be able to find, it depends a bit on exactly what sort of work you are looking for.

The scorpion, spider and snake issues are also WAY overblown. Chances are very good you will not have an issue with any of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area