Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

What is the smoothest and most "highway" route to Showlow. Is it better to take the B-line to Payson and then the 260 to Showlow

OR

Is it better to take the 60 and go through Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:40 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
the most "highway"-like route is the Beeline to Payson and then 260 east from there up the rim....

the Beeline is now four-lane divided to Payson and 260 has stretches of four-lane up the rim....two-lane only up on the rim to SL....drive slowly thru Star Valley E of Payson!!!....

the Globe/Salt River Canyon route is somewhat slow going beyond Superior and across the canyon and is mostly two-lane beyond Florence Jct.....but it is quicker if your start point is east Mesa, AJ, Queen Creek or other SE valley locales....

drive carefully

Old 02-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
the most "highway"-like route is the Beeline to Payson and then 260 east from there up the rim....

the Beeline is now four-lane divided to Payson and 260 has stretches of four-lane up the rim....two-lane only up on the rim to SL....drive slowly thru Star Valley E of Payson!!!....

the Globe/Salt River Canyon route is somewhat slow going beyond Superior and across the canyon and is mostly two-lane beyond Florence Jct.....but it is quicker if your start point is east Mesa, AJ, Queen Creek or other SE valley locales....

drive carefully
The only drawback I've heard about going through the Payson route is the number of speed cameras. I heard they are supposedly set at 35 mph in these small towns and will nail you even if you go 38 mph or just over 35 mph? Is that true

Old 02-06-2010, 08:02 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
I almost always go through Globe. Salt River Canyon is a blast. Although the last few times traffic kept me from testing the curves.

Payson has always had a rep as a speed trap. The speed limit would go from 55 to 45 about 1/2 a mile out then just around the last curve while you are still slowing down to 45 it dropped to 35. The cop would be sitting there speed gun in hand. I guess it's easier now with the camera.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:39 PM

I took both routes and without a doubt, the Payson route was far better. It's not even a competition as far as what route is better. Unless, you ride motorcycles or enjoy the challlenge of windy roads, I wouldn't even consider the Globe/Salt River Canyon Route). I actually got nauseous taking the curves through the Globe/Salt River Canyon route and I was driving. I usually never have problems with motion sickness particularly if I'm driving. If you get car sick/motion sick then don't take that route. Also, the route is a little dangerous, it's one lane most of the way and at night, you can't see a thing. The Payson route is two lane the entire way so people can pass you or you can pass others. It's also straight and not nearly as windy.

I also got camera ticket going through the Globe/Salt River way because as soon as you hit Show Low, there are cameras right out there. And yes, it went from 65 to 35. I was so upset. I'm probably not going to pay the ticket and take my chances because it was so bogus. I was driving slow the entire way and being a defensive driver and letting everyone pass me and as soon as I get into Show Low city limits, boom, I get nailed for driving 50 mph.

That being said, Sunrise was amazing. The trip was also not that bad. It was 3.5 hours and I was driving fairly slow (50-60) the entire way. We left on Friday at 7 PM and got there 10:30. And we left on Sunday 1 PM and got back at 4:30 PM. The weather was beautiful. The skiing was fantastic. The crowds were great. Show Low was a lot of fun. It's gotten bigger since I went there last. There are a lot of places to eat out and great house rentals. We had a blast. If people say that there is nothing to do in Arizona, they obviously haven't driven to Show Low. We had a great time

Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 24,944 times
Can anyone else weigh in on this? Specifically, which route is the quickest? Which route is most scenic? I'm leaving tomorrow from East Mesa (Power Rd).

Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 PM
zox

344 posts, read 478,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighannek View Post
Can anyone else weigh in on this? Specifically, which route is the quickest? Which route is most scenic? I'm leaving tomorrow from East Mesa (Power Rd).
Given your situation, the Salt River Canyon route is both more scenic and quicker. For those who don't live in east Mesa and are not concerned with scenery, I would recommend the Payson route.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
The scenery is quite pretty on the Payson route, too (except for the areas still ruined by Rodeo-Chedeski). It is longer by several miles, but I really don't like driving the Canyon. So, it's no contest for me.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:29 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Coming from Tempe, SRC path takes too long. Too many lights, too slow. We save 30 minutes to an hour not having to go through gold canyon and mesa. Payson way FTW. Plus you can stop in overgaard for a red onion burger. Yummy!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:06 PM

77 posts, read 298,311 times
I've always driven the Payson route to Show Low and it's smooth sailing. I'm way too nervous of a driver to take the Globe route, just from looking on a map it seems less than ideally safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area