Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 PM

11 posts, read 22,861 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me if these are good areas, looking to move along the outskirts, saw some nice homes in there, but new to phx area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,181,147 times
Both areas are very nice. Both are pretty far out. Goodyear is probably a little more convienient to downtown, sporting events, concerts and area attactions.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 PM

Default goodyear/apache junction

thanks!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:03 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,071,637 times
Goodyear is fine, but has a great variety of housing choices...the newer subdivisions may be a bit heavy with foreclosures and short sales....future appreciation may be slow, if that's important to you....it's a typical west Phoenix suburb, a bit far west from central area....the usual chain stores, the whole bit

AJ is a bit farther east than Goodyear is west, I think....has a local rep for being a bit redneck/hick, to be brutally honest....as usual, decent areas mixed in with older areas...convenient to the lakes up the Salt River....

both towns are very large (area) and low-density....gotta look around for a few days and get a feel....

Old 01-01-2010, 07:50 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Both areas are very nice. Both are pretty far out. Goodyear is probably a little more convienient to downtown, sporting events, concerts and area attactions.
From mapquest, the distance from Goodyear commercial area on Estrella to 101 N. Central in downtown Phoenix is 18 miles. That is the same distance that the center of Scottsdale is to the same address. The travel time per mapquest is roughly 25 minutes for both. The center of Gilbert, another popular suburb, is 22 miles and 30 minutes from 101 N Central. Apache Junction? 35 miles and 45 minutes.

Goodyear really isn't far out there at all. It is closer in than most of the new build areas going on right now.

BTW, Goodyear is head and shoulders above Apache Jct. Goodyear has one of the highest median household incomes in the Phoenix metro - Apache Junction has one of the lowest. Goodyear is on its way to being the classiest city in the west valley and among the best in the metro, AJ is the trashiest in the East valley.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-01-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 09:25 AM

617 posts, read 2,823,501 times
I would pick Goodyear over Apache Junction any day. Apache Junction has a pretty high property tax level compared to other places. There are some really big houses, some nice areas, but a lot of it is quite old. It does have the reputation of being a bit redneckie. However... the Superstition Mountain views are beautiful.

It really depends on how close you want to be to Phoenix, where you are working, etc. Personally, if commuting isn't a factor for you, I would pick Queen Creek over Apache Junction, if you are looking at East Valley. There is an area of Queen Creek that is still close to the 202, and it's really nice.

But if you are really set on either Goodyear or Apache Junction, I'd say Goodyear for sure. Good luck. I think coming here and looking around will give you a much better idea of where you belong. I remember asking tons of questions before we moved to Mesa, and seeing the area in person really put things into perspective for my husband and I.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM

thanks, I'll be in phx in about three weeks, going to take a look.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
Pretty much the only reason I could see for chosing apache junction is if you wanted to be really remote and have access to the east valley cities, white mountains, lakes, superstitions, etc

other than that I believe goodyear has an advantage in about every single category and will also allow you to be near mountains, remote communities, etc .... not as convenient to the far eastern playgrounds, but a little easier to get west

ponderosa is pretty much right on with his analysis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area