Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:35 AM

6 posts, read 31,098 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Peoria and am looking to buy a house . Looking in Peoria, Goodyear and Surprise, which is best?? Any and all comments welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
We picked Goodyear. Nice area and easy access to the freeway. Surprise is too far from everything and we never looked at Peoria. We are very happy in Goodyear.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoindex View Post
Just moved to Peoria and am looking to buy a house . Looking in Peoria, Goodyear and Surprise, which is best?? Any and all comments welcome
I definitely go for Goodyear.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:07 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,139 times
Quote:
What part of Peoria are you in now? Saying what is best is hard to do since it depends on what you want to be close to and what your price range is.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Default Best Place to Live

Thanks so much! I like Goodyear too. right now we are near Bell and 83rd which is nice but it seems like the surrounding areas go from nice to not so great. I work at home so it doesn't mattter where we are but my husband works in Sun City, he just want to be near 101. Biggest concern is - neighborhood i.e. crime stats,renters etc. and we would like to be close to shopping. As I see what's available I would like to stay not higher than 200 K.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much! I like Goodyear too. right now we are near Bell and 83rd which is nice but it seems like the surrounding areas go from nice to not so great. I work at home so it doesn't mattter where we are but my husband works in Sun City, he just want to be near 101. Biggest concern is - neighborhood i.e. crime stats,renters etc. and we would like to be close to shopping. As I see what's available I would like to stay not higher than 200 K.
I live in North Peoria and think overall if you can find something in North Peoria. IE areas from say Beardsley and north you will be in a much less congested part of the city. Not to mention you are already familiar with Peoria and aren't taking a gamble by moving into a completely different area where you have to rely on opinions in a forum.

You cant really take stats into consideration on crime rates because in each case the majority of the crimes in Peoria probably happen downtown vs. in the northern parts of Peoria. Likewise Goodyear has its areas you can avoid.

Someone with more knowledge of Goodyear would have to jump in and correct me if Im wrong but I think the better parts of Goodyear are further from 101 and Sun City than the better parts of Peoria are.

I think one of the best, and closest Goodyear neighborhoods is Palm Valley which is pretty close to 1-10 but probably further from Sun City than an equivalent nice part of Peoria is. I really dont know what it offers under 200k. Otherwise the other premium part of goodyear is the retirement community of Pebble Creek, but I think thats pretty far west?? And Estrella is really really far south. It can take you about 10 minutes heading south of I-10, on a long winding speed trap of a road just to get to the entrance of the community... and its quite a bit further west of 101 as well.

But in North Peoria, there are neighborhoods like Fletcher Heights, Parkridge, Dove Valley Ranch, Terramar, and I could probably go on for quite a while that are very close to 101 as well as sun city. You may get more for your money in the floor of goodyear, but I also think you may feel the reasons for the lower housing costs when you choose something based purely on price point.

I vote this way: Go to Goodyear to get more HOUSE for the money, and go to Peoria to get more LOCATION for the money.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 PM

29 posts, read 155,120 times
Where in Sun City does he have to be? Goodyear to Sun City isn't bad if using the Loop 303.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 PM

I agree. I dont think its a ridiculous commute from Goodyear to Sun City but the 303 is kind of a weird deal because in almost every situation I can think, you would actually have to drive further west to get to the 303, just to backtrack east. Unless of course you are west of 303 but in that case isnt it Buckeye?

I dont use it often and have little experience with heading to Sun City from Goodyear. Havent looked a map lately either, so I could be wrong... BUT almost everytime I had to use the 303 it seems I had to debate internally if the commute west was worth the faster north/south travel.

But as you said in the previous post it depends on where in Sun City. SC Grand & SC west are easy off the 303 and worth it from goodyear, but for original SC the 101 would be a much better choice to avoid the backtrack thing.

Last edited by cmist; 11-15-2009 at 09:59 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks everyone! 97th and Peoria is the workplace - I think a 15 to 20 mile commute is about as far as we can go. I've been in the Palm Valley area and like it

Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 PM

29 posts, read 155,120 times
Litchfield Rd moves surprisingly fast during peak driving times too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area