Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 AM

27 posts, read 60,994 times

Advertisements

Has anyone recently closed on an FHA mortgage in Phoenix? If so, what was your rate? I have talked to one lender so far, and he is telling me that rates are around 5.5% right now. All the websites I am used to looking at are saying that rates are slightly lower. My friends in other states have closed recently near the 5.0% mark.

I'd like to use this lender for a number of reasons, but if he can't provide me with the best rate, I need a recommendation of someone else to talk to. We are very strong borrowers and should get the absolute best rate there is. Our credit is near 800 and our debt ratio is extremely small, so I know that shouldn't be affecting our rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:09 PM

75 posts, read 95,357 times
Interesting how there are no responses to this perfectly straighforward question. I would hav ethought that the rats woould have come out of their cages to answer this one.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:29 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,522,486 times
I'll let you know what my VA rate is as soon as I lock it in. Should be a couple more weeks.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:32 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,031,645 times
Sometimes a rate is only good on a given day for a couple of hours so your friends might have been lucky enough to have a broker who was on top of it at the time and locked them in at that moment. It also depends on what loan "products" or programs the particular lender has access to. Not all lenders or brokers have the same products or programs available to them so they sometimes can't offer you a loan that is comparable or better than another lender or broker, that is why I can't stress enough the advice to "SHOP THE LOAN" prior to committing. I have a client who closed on 7/22/09 and his credit score was in the mid 700's and his rate was locked in at 5.75% about a week prior to closing. No lender has a crystal ball as to what the rate will be at any given time. There are trends as to whether the rate will go up or down...but until the exact time you lock in the rate, you will not know the exact rate you will get.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM

710 posts, read 3,393,852 times
5.5 w/3.5% down is about par these days. VA and FHA are just a few points higher than 30 year conventional w/20% down.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,359,923 times
Pretty sure FHA rates are not determined by your FICO score. At least they weren't when I was in the biz about 10 yrs. ago. Doesn't matter how strong a borrower you or the loan officer thinks you are. Par pricing is what it is. You can pay points or you can bargain with the lender to eat it and cut your rate. I'll be closing on an(other) FHA loan for myself soon, but since I don't have a bank acceptance on the property (short sale) yet, it really doesn't matter what the rate is. Without a closing date, I can't lock in and anything can happen until then.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,031,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Pretty sure FHA rates are not determined by your FICO score. At least they weren't when I was in the biz about 10 yrs. ago. Doesn't matter how strong a borrower you or the loan officer thinks you are. Par pricing is what it is. You can pay points or you can bargain with the lender to eat it and cut your rate. I'll be closing on an(other) FHA loan for myself soon, but since I don't have a bank acceptance on the property (short sale) yet, it really doesn't matter what the rate is. Without a closing date, I can't lock in and anything can happen until then.
You are correct...FHA does not look at a FICO score to determine eligibility, but the lender who will be originating and/or servicing the loan definitely will be using it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 AM

14 posts, read 47,581 times
Bank of America quoted me 5% last Monday, locked in 5.375% this morning. Standard FHA loan, credit not perfect, no points and no origination fee.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM

78 posts, read 285,705 times
I would recommend National City, part of PNC Bank.
Banks nowadays are doing the interest rate match if provided a good faith estimate from other bank.
So I found National City as lowest and got the price match from my lender.
Hope this helps u.
My recommendation would be
No orignation fee
& No mortgage broker fee

Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 PM

27 posts, read 60,994 times
Thanks for all the responses. This information is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area