Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:53 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,888,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
One of the many great things about this country is the diversity of lifestyles in our cities. I've lived all over, and came back to live in Phoenix because I feel comfortable here, like the climate (I was born in the desert - this will always seem normal to me), like the way the city looks, like the attitudes of most of the people who live here, like the way the sunsets look. I like the traffic (better than most large cities), I like all my friends who live here (including virtual ones like y'all), and I like all the memories. (Driving around town is a non-stop time-machine ride, with memories from my childhood, my teen years, my wild-and-wooly times as a young adult, all the places where I've done things on my job, and now places where I've done things with my kids.) I like our sprawling podunk cowtown suburb.

If you don't like it, that's cool, you can probably find a city somewhere that fills all your needs. No need to trash another city, there are good people and good times everywhere - you live in the U.S. of A.! There are all sorts of great cities out there. I travel to them all the time (currently in Alexandria), but always like coming home to Phoenix, my hometown.

You said it!! There's good times and good people everywhere. You just have to go find them and experience it. Give it a damn chance! Hell! I miss Phoenix. I always had a job there when I lived there (I worked at 2 different nightclubs there and made damn great money- $200 or more a night, 5 nights a week). Can't get that here in Prescott, that's for damn sure!

I always had great times in Phoenix. Some of my favorite clubs and bars are there and I miss some of them. I haven't been most of them in over 5 years, since I moved to Prescott. But I've been to 3 of them in the last 2 years though (the last time was 2 months ago, Brigitte's). I still love that place and still go when I can.

And I got a year round tan too from living in Phoenix. I miss that also.

But I do agree with them about Scottsdale. I never did like that place, because most of the people there are snobby and such. Too many "Barbie Doll" type women and young girls live there. And the men are so self-centered there and spend more time getting ready than I do (the "Ken Doll" types, I guess you can call them). Yeah, Scottsdale is the only place I don't like on that side of Arizona.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyz2618 View Post
Your frustration is understandable, but I had something relevant to respond with, and I responded, feeling some of the statements being made about NJ were uncalled for, in every bit as much as the derogatory comments about Arizona were uncalled for.

Oh, and no, guidos aren't jersey men, it's a specific stereotype/social label that has a very dense population in New Jersey. Id est, the word "guido" doesn't identify somebody as being from New Jersey, but there are quite a few of them in some pockets out there. Just think overly gelled/styled hair, obnoxiously fake orange tans, lots of tacky gold, and cologne that enters the room a full two steps before they do. "Guido" is usually said in an insulting or derogatory matter, but everytime I've seen someone called out on it, they mark it as a source of pride. Go figure.
Hey, that's me!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We, the AZ ,members did not come to the Joizy forum and post crap about your state or city. One of joizy's finest felt the need to post ignorant remarks here first. We're just trying to set the record straight.

Anyway, I hear Joizy men are called Guido's. What is a Guido?
'Guido' is a slightly derogatory term for folks of stereotypical Italian (usually Sicilian) heritage. Never mind that quite a few of the above folks self identify as such.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,021,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree we have upscale places as well but I don't think the difference is as great between the most upscale and the regular burbs here when compared to New York City for example. The difference in cost between an outer suburb and an upscale burb in Phoenix isn't as great as living in a house in downtown SF vs living in Valejo. Regarding your second paragraph, we are saying the same thing. People who are middle class or even upper middle class have no choice but to live in the suburbs if they want to buy a home and raise a family and thus live a very Phoenix lifestyle which makes me laugh when they criticize Phoenix because for all intents and purposes, they are living in the suburbs themselves. I feel the only peope who truly enjoy the city are the young people and the extremely wealthy. I have a wife, kids, a couple of dogs, I don't want to live in a downtown. I want a yard. I like living near a lake. I want to be close to a golf course. I want to be able to drive a car. If I'm getting tired of suburbia, I can always fly to SF or NY for a weekend and pay someone to watch my kids or I can drive to Vegas or LA. At the same time, I have nothing against a place with a real downtown. I've already told my children that they should spend some time living in a city like NY or SF when they get older. It will expose them to a different lifestyle and they can learn an incredible amount.
True but your logic is still confusing. I've lived in L.A. (NO real downtown but BIG buildings in a central area, LOL), Chicago, NYC, Seattle, etc and yes those places are more dense some far more dense compared to downtown, midtown Phoenix but its just more of the same. More buildings, more shops, more traffic, more offices, etc. Its isn't like there is something in downtown Seattle that isn't in downtown Phoenix. In fact despite the abundance of dense, tall buildings Seattle only has 15,000 more people in their downtown living as residents.

There are about 29,000 in Seattle's downtown while there are only 12,000-15,000 in Phoenix's downtown. Not to mention they are still buiding housing in Phoenix and from friends and relatives in Seattle, I've been told that downtown housing construction is pretty silent right now in Sea-town. I am sure this will change for Seattle but it will just continue in Phoenix as well. There is also much more abundance of land/lots for construction in downtown PHX. There are pojects on hold and it will be interesting to see what comes of them in the near future.

I think what makes it feel a little more busy to me, especially now is the ability to easily get between uptown, midtown and downtown Phoenix on the train. First Friday yesterday was insane. The trains were ridiculous until around 12:30 a.m. If you live downtown your going to have much more expensive rent, parking issues (payments), community fees, small living spaces in condos, lofts with no yards, and even in our historic neighborhoods we have heavy foot traffic from nearby lofts, condos, apartments, etc. I happen to like this but some friends who visit form Chandler find it a little "uncomfortable." Which wisely is why they live in Chandler. But no it isn't as busy as some other cities but it isn't Peoria either.

But I think I understand what you are basically saying; if you want to experience crowded, 24 hour traffic, rudeness, smugness, real "culture" (LOL), working your arse off to live in a nasty shoe box that cost $900 a month, then yes...check out NYC or San Fran.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 09-05-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-05-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
We, the AZ ,members did not come to the Joizy forum and post crap about your state or city. One of joizy's finest felt the need to post ignorant remarks here first. We're just trying to set the record straight.

Anyway, I hear Joizy men are called Guido's. What is a Guido?
A guido is a "semi" derogatory term for an Italian. LOL! Heard this all the time. Also, my "harsh" comments on New Jersey were just stereo-typing. Some tongue back to someone who obviously was doing the same to Arizona. It's just some lashing to give back what one gives.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
A guido is a "semi" derogatory term for an Italian. LOL! Heard this all the time. Also, my "harsh" comments on New Jersey were just stereo-typing. Some tongue back to someone who obviously was doing the same to Arizona. It's just some lashing to give back what one gives.
Agreed about New Jersey. I have nothing against the place. I don't think anyone on the AZ forum had put down the state until (not so)Smartone starting making stupid comments about Scottsdale. New Jersey is just not a topic that comes up here much.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Agreed about New Jersey. I have nothing against the place. I don't think anyone on the AZ forum had put down the state until (not so)Smartone starting making stupid comments about Scottsdale. New Jersey is just not a topic that comes up here much.
No you are right...New Jersey wasn't even discussed until "smartone" from Joysie made some ridiculous comments.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM

638 posts, read 930,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Not just the liberals. We've all been screwed. As society gets more liberal, our prosperity declines. I mean, look at the current prez. He wants to tax the rich to give free healthcare to the poor, and he wants to strengthen the unions even after the bankruptcy of the unionized car companies.

So far the current party in power hasn't said a thing about encouraging businesses, you know, like by reducing taxes and regulations. They'll never learn.

Oh how original! Obama equals anything bad. One can take a thread started about someone's dislike of Phonenix and turn it into an Obama bashing frenzy. LOL LAME!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Oh how original! Obama equals anything bad. One can take a thread started about someone's dislike of Phonenix and turn it into an Obama bashing frenzy. LOL LAME!
No kidding! After all the stupidity on display by the right over the speech to kids, you'd think these wingnuts would lay low for a day or two.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
This thread has turned into a bash festival for everything except what the OP asked about. Ain't worth cleaning up.

Off Topic. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area