Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 AM

315 posts, read 822,772 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, im trying to decide between PHX or somewhere in nothern california...

About me:

Im 23yrs old, black, i own an internet business & i do Ok...

Im looking for somewhere with a good young crowd and lots of activities/hobbies to do..

Basically somewhere I can make friends very easily..

I also want somewhere thats warm with little/no rain.. thats why i narrowed it down to Ariizona & California..

Im looking to spend about $2k/month for rent..

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,275,803 times
you could live very well here on half that amount, which could be a consideration

there is a very large young population here - but that doesn't necessarily mean anything

what kind of activities/hobbies?

how outgoing are you?

how can you handle non stop sun & heat?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,723,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
Hey guys, im trying to decide between PHX or somewhere in nothern california...

About me:

Im 23yrs old, black, i own an internet business & i do Ok...

Im looking for somewhere with a good young crowd and lots of activities/hobbies to do..

Basically somewhere I can make friends very easily..

I also want somewhere thats warm with little/no rain.. thats why i narrowed it down to Ariizona & California..

Im looking to spend about $2k/month for rent..

Thanks guys.
If you want no rain, live in Phoenix. California sunshine is a lie. In the northern half of California it rains from October or November till the end of march. Phoenix might rain June to August because of monsoons, but thats a giant maybe. There are a lot of outdoor activities to do in any city, what specifically are you looking for? Unsure why you brought up your race. If you are talking about a "safe" area for blacks, I do not know, but i will tell you this. My boss is black, a growing number of my coworkers are black, there seems to be a growing amount of blacks downtown.. Blacks are all over the place and it is no big deal.

I only brought that up because my friend in California, who is black, would talk about how most if not all places, were unsafe for a black man. Predominatly the south and southwest areas. Though i love him, he is completely wrong. It is the same for all races. Certain areas of a city will be racist towards another race.

Sorry... the racist stuff just annoys me and put it out there.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM

i actually love the sun/heat.. im in panama city, panama now.. and the only annoying thing is the rain and the language..

by activities/hobbies i mean stuff to keep me busy.. like ill take yoga, flying lessons, kick boxing classes, some volunteer work, basketball/ pingpong...

im very outgoing

Thanks Finger Laker

Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
If you want no rain, live in Phoenix. California sunshine is a lie. In the northern half of California it rains from October or November till the end of march. Phoenix might rain June to August because of monsoons, but thats a giant maybe. There are a lot of outdoor activities to do in any city, what specifically are you looking for? Unsure why you brought up your race. If you are talking about a "safe" area for blacks, I do not know, but i will tell you this. My boss is black, a growing number of my coworkers are black, there seems to be a growing amount of blacks downtown.. Blacks are all over the place and it is no big deal.

I only brought that up because my friend in California, who is black, would talk about how most if not all places, were unsafe for a black man. Predominatly the south and southwest areas. Though i love him, he is completely wrong. It is the same for all races. Certain areas of a city will be racist towards another race.

Sorry... the racist stuff just annoys me and put it out there.
thanks for your post.. only reason i brought up race is because ive heard some parts of arizona are kinda racist...

so you pretty much prefer phx to cali?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:23 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,275,803 times
I wouldn't say that phoenix is really racist - i've hear rumors of some tension between blacks and mexicans, but as I'm not a party to either I can't verify ....... even then I think it would be more limited to lower socioeconomic areas

the city is more divided by class - in my neighborhood everyone is pretty quiet and fine - i have hispanics on one side, a gay guy on another and a black guy down the street and there is zero tension

I wouldn't say there is a huge black population here though - which I know has been a concern from some (but you can still find barber shops, etc) ........ i say this from the perspective of someone who has lived in philadelphia - so abstract words like "a lot" can take on too many meanings

there are a lot of great vollunteer opportunities here - it's also a great area for flying and if you got really serious one of the nations premier aeronautical universities is less than 2 hours to the north - sports are played pretty much year round - city rec programs are pretty solid

if you are looking for "uban" living with ethnic neighborhoods, etc then phoenix falls below CA

imo, if you are looking for a dry weather climate, tons of sports, great hiking, a good proximity to other areas/climates and a place to have a great time then I prefer Phx

the COL here is usually a lot more favorable as well

Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
thanks for your post.. only reason i brought up race is because ive heard some parts of arizona are kinda racist...

The cool thing about Arizona vs California is the large native american population. Between that and the growing number of Chinese and hispanics, Arizona is becoming a very deserve state and finger is right about class.

What people say about it is a nice place to visit, but not live. Discribes California perfectly. Some places in California have perfect weather and are millionaire playgrounds, but i would imagine there are better places in the world to live if you made a million yearly. In Arizona you can drive 2 hours to a cool location to escape the heat or city. Unlike California you drive 2 hours and you run into another city.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,819,479 times
Thumbs up Phoenix, Arizona...Without a doubt...

Phoenix, Arizona...without a doubt....I too am a single black woman in late 30's from North Carolina looking to relocate..I have narrowed it down to Phoenix, Arizona...Location, Location, Location....5hrs from Las Vegas/7hrs from San Diego & Los Angeles...Also i hear that houses are very affordable in the area as well and the Cost of Living is well within everyone's means. Whatever you decide...Good luck on the move!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,351,229 times
Quote:

Some parts of Cali are very racist. Outside of the large cities, California has it's share of rednecks just like any other state. It's a big misconception about California that the whole state is liberal and progressive but the reality is outside of the metro areas of the 3 largest cities, it's conservative and very trashy. That is no different than Arizona. Outside of Phoenix and Tucson, you have small racist towns..okay...like that is so different from every other state in the country? Honestly, I'm Hispanic and I will face more racism in Arizona than you ever will and I don't really face it or fear it. The only racism I've witnessed in Ariziona is toward illegals; people are pretty vocally opposed to illegals which unfortunately can lead to racist coments on occasion. I've lived in Dallas and OKC and those cities were pretty racist toward Blacks in my experience but Phoenix is nothing like that.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
The cool thing about Arizona vs California is the large native american population. Between that and the growing number of Chinese and hispanics, Arizona is becoming a very deserve state and finger is right about class.
dang it, diverse.. not deserve

Sometimes I wonder if I have brain damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area