Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,855 times

Advertisements

We had QWest high-speed internet installed a few days ago.
Worked great until Cox installed our phone. (We want to save money
so we are splitting our service providers). The internet stopped connecting.
Of course, each company blames the other. So -- anyone have this problem?
I wonder if I could fix this myself.

Pauley
Gilbert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 11:25 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
There are many good reasons to split service between Cox and Qwest, but I never thought saving money was one of them. In fact, it seems like both companies offer the best deals if you consolidate all services -- video, internet, and phone -- with just one of them. If either company provided consistently excellent service, I would consolidate, but right now neither is worthy of receiving all my telecommunications business.

My guess is that the Cox installation disconnected you from the Qwest phone lines, knocking out your DSL service. I think it's more common for customers to have the opposite set-up: Cox for Internet and Qwest for phone.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:48 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
If your service worked when Qwest installed the DSL and you then later have Cox come an install phone service, you best have Cox return and correct the wiring that they disconnected. I have heard of this type of problem many times in the past. Cox wanted to connect your telephone to their service and by doing so removed the wiring that provided your Qwest DSL. Call Cox and have them correct this problem, if they can’t or won’t ask them to cancel your service all together. Cox will do a good job of providing video but they’re not that talented in the phone business. Good bad or not Qwest has been in the Telephone business for over 100+ years. Cox knows how to do video and has little telephone service. What they did to you is simple, they (Cox) took the inside telephone wiring and put their service on it, not knowing that Qwest already had that in use for your DSL.

Cox can fix it, or remove their service and you can have Qwest give you a telephone service as well as the DSL.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:54 AM

121 posts, read 546,300 times
I will be moving out there soon and was wondering who I should get for cable TV and cable internet. Not familiar with either of htese comapnies.

I'm looking for cable internet and "Upgrade Basic" cable service. That is what we call it here. I currently get like 65 channels and that is about what I want out there. No fancy movie channels or anything like that.

Your thoughts on pricing, channel selction, and customer service would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:43 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre5140 View Post
I will be moving out there soon and was wondering who I should get for cable TV and cable internet. Not familiar with either of htese comapnies.

I'm looking for cable internet and "Upgrade Basic" cable service. That is what we call it here. I currently get like 65 channels and that is about what I want out there. No fancy movie channels or anything like that.

Your thoughts on pricing, channel selction, and customer service would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much.
We finally went with Cox for everything. I think what we have is called "expanded" basic. The one down side about the phone I hadn't considered when we switched to Cox was when the power goes out. With Qwest, we still had the phone, but with Cox everything went down. It's not a big deal though because 1) the power almost never goes out anymore and 2) we have cell phones in addition to the land line. We haven't had a single problem with cable internet in the 1.5 years we've had it.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Another option is Vonage.

We have Cox for cable and internet but went with Vonage for the phone service. If you are going just for basic, then I think it is pretty much the same...but if you need additional lines, fax line, etc...then vonage is a much better deal. We pay around $45 a month for:

1 phone line with free nationwide long distance
1 fax line with unlimited incoming + 100 minutes outgoing
1 888 number

Plus of coure there is call waiting, caller id, call forwarding...all of those features. You also get your voicemails emailed to you if you like and can listen to them online.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
We finally went with Cox for everything. I think what we have is called "expanded" basic. The one down side about the phone I hadn't considered when we switched to Cox was when the power goes out. With Qwest, we still had the phone, but with Cox everything went down. It's not a big deal though because 1) the power almost never goes out anymore and 2) we have cell phones in addition to the land line. We haven't had a single problem with cable internet in the 1.5 years we've had it.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have an alarm system with monitoring service, the system will not be able to call in to report an alarm if the power is out and your phone service is power-dependent. This is an unlikey scenario, but something to keep in mind.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:49 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
I'm up here in the Prescott area, but I was wondering about experiences others have had (and cost) of going with Qwest DSL for high-speed internet. I currently pay $46.00 for cable internet with CableOne (our cable provider up here). I've got a LD pkg with Qwest that's .05/min to max of $25/mo. (I like that - having unlimited LD for $25 or less). TV is basic cable at $42.50 (CableOne). I'm thinking maybe Qwest might be cheaper for internet and then maybe get Dish or Direct for the TV? It just seems that $90+/mo to CableOne for Internet and basic cable is alot!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:58 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I'm up here in the Prescott area, but I was wondering about experiences others have had (and cost) of going with Qwest DSL for high-speed internet. I currently pay $46.00 for cable internet with CableOne (our cable provider up here). I've got a LD pkg with Qwest that's .05/min to max of $25/mo. (I like that - having unlimited LD for $25 or less). TV is basic cable at $42.50 (CableOne). I'm thinking maybe Qwest might be cheaper for internet and then maybe get Dish or Direct for the TV? It just seems that $90+/mo to CableOne for Internet and basic cable is alot!
I don't know if they have anything going on with your service providers or not, however, here in Bullhead, Dish Network has something going with our local phone company. I haven't done this yet, (not sure if I can as we have a 2 year contract with our phone company because we have business service) but through our local phone company you can get Dish Network, phone with unlimited long distance and DSL or $99 month. Of course this doesn't include movie channels etc, but Dish has a great variety of channels. We have been with them for about 10+ years now and it is GREAT!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,118 times
I had great service with intouchdsl.net they took good care of me. No problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area