Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 PM

34 posts, read 70,935 times

Advertisements

hey i was thinking about miami,san diego or LA but phoenix seems to have a lower cost of liveing and i want to move this summer sometime. im 18 years old i live in ohio, im a personal trainer so i was wondering how the fitness industry is in phoenix, and in what part of the city would it be the best for me to live and work?.. i would rather not live in the suburbs and be in a safe part of town.also how is the night life and opportunitys to meet new people there? thanks, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike043 View Post
hey i was thinking about miami,san diego or LA but phoenix seems to have a lower cost of liveing and i want to move this summer sometime. im 18 years old i live in ohio, im a personal trainer so i was wondering how the fitness industry is in phoenix, and in what part of the city would it be the best for me to live and work?.. i would rather not live in the suburbs and be in a safe part of town.also how is the night life and opportunitys to meet new people there? thanks, Mike
I would say N Tempe or the Biltmore area. I think the Fitness industry is probably taking a hit here as well as the other areas you mentioned but I'm sure you an get on with a gym. We have many of them. My kids seem to think the nightlife here is ok. I know we have many clubs for under 21.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 AM

34 posts, read 70,935 times
Google Maps

there seems to be a ton of gyms in Scottsdale, north of Glendale and south west of Tempe and a decent amount in downtown phoenix, what are these different areas like? from what i read Tempe seems more of the place for the younger crowd but how far are all of these places a part from each other north Glendale,Gilbert,Chandler and Scottsdale?

thanks,Mike

Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,802 times
ASU is a large part of Tempe and small part,from what i accidentally ran into, Chandler. Tempe> Glandale>Scottsdale>Chandler>Gilbert.

There are young people in Chandler, but i feel its the 18 and under crowd. Everytime i visit the place i think families going out to the mall or out for their weekly dinner at some resturant. Gilbert is the same for me.

Scottsdale is full of oldies, mind you there isn't anything wrong with this, its just a common occurrence.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike043 View Post
Mike, it might also depend on your certifications and personal specializations as a PT - do you want to work in one of the big chains (the largest ones here are LA Fitness, Bally's, Gold's, Pure Fitness - you might want to pull up their websites and get an idea what certifications they require). As noted, Scottsdale has an older crowd but also probably more upscale health clubs. A lot of the large gyms seem to be pressuring their PTs to do more sales and pitch their clients for more services. There is also a market here for smaller "boutique" gyms that specialize in one-on-one training, and 24-hour small gyms that allow members to enter any time with an entry code and card ("Clicks", I think they're called). The "Curves" gyms and whatever its male equivalent is called seem popular out here with the sedentary crowd. Sports-specific gyms are also big out here - golfing is huge because of the weather and retirement communities, so I've seen a lot of small gyms targeting golfers. There are also a bunch of very serious gyms and coaches that target professional athletes in the off-season (we have a lot of MLB/NBA/NFL players residing here). Kid's club sports are huge out here with a lot of competition in the schools, and there are a lot of coaches and PTs who work one-on-one with kids to improve speed, power and agility. So there are probably a lot of different options for you here (and maybe separate revenue streams, which I'd pursue in your position and the new economy). Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area