Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:05 PM

426 posts, read 1,306,297 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving from the Dallas area and to the Phoenix area this coming summer. We're going to move in with her parents for a bit to save up a bit extra so we can put 20% down on our next house. We're expecting our second child in April, so having her parents around to help is a very large factor in us moving

We drove around North Phoenix and the Cave Creek areas while we were in town over the Christmas holidays. We really liked both areas, but North Phoenix would be a more affordable area for us.

What are the general opinions of the North Phoenix area between Cave Creek Highway and Happy Valley Rd? We really liked that there is a lot of undisturbed areas out there and I understand there is a land preserve out there to help keep it that way. We're looking to buy a house under $300k and there are a decent inventory of homes currently available.

Anything a non-resident of the Phoenix area needs to know about this part of Phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
as I've said on other threads, I'm a long-time resident of Phx - since age 12.....

have seen N Phx grow tremendously since we moved here in 1975....the current widening project of I-17 (Black Canyon Hwy) thru the area will help a lot, but you probably mean the Carefree Hwy, not the Cave Creek Hwy, right?...and Loop 101 runs thru the area and makes driving a bit easier now.....nice access to Lake Pleasant for summer rec....

the entire area N of Bell up to the Carefree Hwy and W of Scottsdale Rd to I-17 has developed quickly the last several years....it's all a very decent area and you should be able to find a decent place for less than $300K....there are pockets of older, trashy neighborhoods and lots and LOTS of new tract-home style subdivisions (lots of tile roofs!!).....unfortunately, you'll probably have to drive every time you need something and, as with most newer areas, there is little soul in this area of Phx....look really hard for that dream house as there is a LOT of choice now and you should be able to haggle.....decide what you really need in a house.....

yes, N Phx will have cheaper housing than Cave Creek, but there's a reason.....if you can swing a place in Cave Creek, try that, as it's a better location and address, if that's important to you.....CC used to have a rep as a bit of a cowboy, hick town with much more desireable Carefree right next door....but as of several years ago, however, CC has gone upscale in a country-horsey low-key sort of way and has come into its own as a good address......

Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
as I've said on other threads, I'm a long-time resident of Phx - since age 12.....

have seen N Phx grow tremendously since we moved here in 1975....the current widening project of I-17 (Black Canyon Hwy) thru the area will help a lot, but you probably mean the Carefree Hwy, not the Cave Creek Hwy, right?...and Loop 101 runs thru the area and makes driving a bit easier now.....nice access to Lake Pleasant for summer rec....

the entire area N of Bell up to the Carefree Hwy and W of Scottsdale Rd to I-17 has developed quickly the last several years....it's all a very decent area and you should be able to find a decent place for less than $300K....there are pockets of older, trashy neighborhoods and lots and LOTS of new tract-home style subdivisions (lots of tile roofs!!).....unfortunately, you'll probably have to drive every time you need something and, as with most newer areas, there is little soul in this area of Phx....look really hard for that dream house as there is a LOT of choice now and you should be able to haggle.....decide what you really need in a house.....

yes, N Phx will have cheaper housing than Cave Creek, but there's a reason.....if you can swing a place in Cave Creek, try that, as it's a better location and address, if that's important to you.....CC used to have a rep as a bit of a cowboy, hick town with much more desireable Carefree right next door....but as of several years ago, however, CC has gone upscale in a country-horsey low-key sort of way and has come into its own as a good address......
Thanks for the detailed response, it is very much appreciated.

You are correct, I meant to type Carefree Highway. I guess being a non-native, I get those two mixed up in my head. I'm not too worried about the drive. I work from home full-time, and will continue to telecommute for the same major financial institution, so driving into an office won't be an issue. Based on the growth I've witnessed here in the Dallas area, it is only a matter of time before the commercial development follows the residential. During my recent visit over the holidays, it looks like there is a fair amount of it already is in place at I-17 and Carefree Highway.

I'm amazed at what under $300k will buy in that area. My 4 bedroom 2,000 sq ft house literally next to DFW Airport should sell for around $210k. We recently signed a natural gas lease, so that helps to increase the overall value of our property. We'll be looking for either a five bedroom house, or a four bedroom with a dedicated office, no real preference for with or without a pool.

We really liked Cave Creek, but I'm concerned about it being its own town/city. With it being its own municipality, they don't have the large tax base to draw on compared to Phoenix. An article I recently read described the tax revenue issues in Cave Creek and the possible scaling back of city services. We're looking to buy a house no sooner than this summer, so we have some time to determine how much of an impact the current economic climate has on Cave Creek.

Are there any known home builders in that area that should be avoided? One of the Realtor web sites I visited had a ton of nice looking Meritage homes listed.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
I live at Carefree Hwy. and I-17 and also telecommute. I love it here. I am amazed by the amount of vacant commercial real estate. There must be 100 dentist offices within one mile of my house and they cannot all be occupied. The shopping center where my gym is has loads of vacant commercial space. Who did these folks think were going to be their customers?

BTW, traffic here is nothing compared to Dallas. I lived in Wylie when it was 2700 people. Now it's close to 20,000 and that's way, way out in the sticks. Every time I go back to visit the DFW area, I know I could never deal with that traffic.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I live at Carefree Hwy. and I-17 and also telecommute. I love it here. I am amazed by the amount of vacant commercial real estate. There must be 100 dentist offices within one mile of my house and they cannot all be occupied. The shopping center where my gym is has loads of vacant commercial space. Who did these folks think were going to be their customers?

BTW, traffic here is nothing compared to Dallas. I lived in Wylie when it was 2700 people. Now it's close to 20,000 and that's way, way out in the sticks. Every time I go back to visit the DFW area, I know I could never deal with that traffic.
Between what is at I-17 and Carefree Highway, and what is further down the road in Cave Creek, I think my major shopping needs will be met. I saw where a Lowe's is located, so I'm good there. My wife may have to drive a bit further than she's used, but that isn't such a bad thing.

That whole Wylie area just exploded in growth over the last 10 or 15 years. I remember when Murphy had just one stop light, one police car (with its 5 radar guns).

Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times
That's a really nice area.....I have tons of family in that area......it's great for kids and not far from the city. Definitly a good choice.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,834 times
I live in North Phoenix right near 1-17 and Jomax. Are you looking to rent? We would like to rent out our home to a family. It has a huge backyard and is 2600 square feet, with 3 bedrooms, loft and den downstairs. Great for a family! My office re-located so we would like to move closer.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfit03 View Post
I live in North Phoenix right near 1-17 and Jomax. Are you looking to rent? We would like to rent out our home to a family. It has a huge backyard and is 2600 square feet, with 3 bedrooms, loft and den downstairs. Great for a family! My office re-located so we would like to move closer.
I appreciate you re-visiting this thread, but we're due to close on a house sometime this week. We'll be up in the I-17 and Carefree Highway area.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
Those are intersecting roads, a specific area, and not really considered north phoenix.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Those are intersecting roads, a specific area, and not really considered north phoenix.
How would you refer to that area if not by North Phoenix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area