Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:27 PM

13 posts, read 48,450 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are sold on moving to AZ. We just went to visit this last weekend and it was such a nice break from the Seattle rain that we left and also just came back to. We've been to AZ a couple of times and just get more excited about it everytime we visit. We loved the Desert Ridge area. Does anyone have info on the history of the area or what kind of growth is projected? We'd like to know if buying there would be a good investment. We liked the Toll Brothers condos and the Monte Bella by Towne. Also, we heard that a huge development, Scottsdale One (I think that's the name), which will be similar to a Rodeo Drive, is planned close by that area. Does anyone have info on this? Is this a good area for a young couple, looking for a nice place to raise a family? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2007, 03:49 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreSunshine View Post
My husband and I are sold on moving to AZ. We just went to visit this last weekend and it was such a nice break from the Seattle rain that we left and also just came back to. We've been to AZ a couple of times and just get more excited about it everytime we visit. We loved the Desert Ridge area. Does anyone have info on the history of the area or what kind of growth is projected? We'd like to know if buying there would be a good investment. We liked the Toll Brothers condos and the Monte Bella by Towne. Also, we heard that a huge development, Scottsdale One (I think that's the name), which will be similar to a Rodeo Drive, is planned close by that area. Does anyone have info on this? Is this a good area for a young couple, looking for a nice place to raise a family? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
There are actually three upscale shopping centers planned along the 101 Freeway in northeast Phoenix and adjacent portions of Scottsdale: Scottsdale One, which you mention above; Palisene, which is planned but not yet under construction; and City North, which will be adjacent to the existing Desert Ridge Shopping Center along 56th St. There is a lot of competition among these three centers to land premier retailers, and some have predicted that only two out of three of these centers will be built immediately.

The whole area is recently developed with most of the major building taking place in the last decade. It's too far out in the suburbs and too sprawlish for my taste, but it does seem to be popular and rapidly growing. That may be a blessing in terms of more shopping and dining, but also a curse in terms of increased traffic and overtaxed services.

A few things to keep in mind before taking the plunge:

-- You might want to come back during the summer just to make sure you are able to tolerate the heat. I have adapted well and find each summer easier to handle, but some people have the opposite reaction.

-- You might want to visit your target area of Desert Ridge during a weekday rush hour and see with your own eyes how long it takes to drive to major employment centers.

-- Keep in mind that there is already plenty of upscale shopping, as well as attractive neighborhoods with good schools, in established areas of Phoenix and Scottsdale, so if Desert Ridge does not work out, there are other options closer to the center of the metropolitan area.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Desert Ridge is a great area, however, I think it was better at least 5 years ago. That's when there was less traffic and congestion. Now, in the last few years it's been hell driving in that area (at pretty much anytime of the day or weekend). I stay away from the area as I hate what a headache it is. Whereas I used to always go shopping up there.

Silver Bear is right, there are lots of other areas that are less congested and nice as well. Just keep driving around.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:12 PM

25 posts, read 108,697 times
Sable,

I was just there over the weekend as well, and I did not experience the horrible traffic that you are referring to at all. It was just the opposite, there was no traffic, not like the SF bay area. I was able to get around easily, not knowing where I was going, or where I was going to end up. My wife and I too liked this area alot, and plan on moving to Phoenix in a few months. If you have better suggestions, then please let me know of areas that are affordable, $425k or less, and can get to 28th and Camelback easily. We are planning another trip back and would love to look at other possible areas. So far we have Desert Ridge, North Scottsdale (Sweetwater area), and Tatum Ranch.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 48,450 times
Thanks for the feedback! I agree with Woodson. We didn't run into any traffic, and we visited the area multiple times, over the weekend and on Monday. But, one's perception of traffic is relative....I grew up in L.A. and now live in Seattle.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! I agree with Woodson. We didn't run into any traffic, and we visited the area multiple times, over the weekend and on Monday. But, one's perception of traffic is relative....I grew up in L.A. and now live in Seattle.
When you see the surveys and studies on cities with the worst traffic, Phoenix is never even mentioned. We all like to think it's horrible here, but it actually is pretty good for a city this size, I guess. And I do agree with you that on weekends and after rush hour, you can pretty much zip to anywhere on the freeways. How long can that last, though, with all the new people moving here?

Old 02-13-2007, 09:50 PM

I do agree that traffic is relative. The worst traffic I've ever seen has been in Bangkok and Instanbul. No American city can even come close. Nevertheless, it's good to keep in mind that the traffic you see today in a high-growth area like Desert Ridge is not what you'll see tomorrow. There's a lot of open land yet to be developed in the area. Add new residential development to the new shopping centers previously mentioned and things may get interesting in the years to come.

Last edited by exit2lef; 02-13-2007 at 10:00 PM..

Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Okay great, if it didn't bother you. I think the worst times are after work. Just wait though when you are tired of the months of intense heat, the traffic will eventually bother you. Either that or the insane crappy drivers here will.

This place will only get worse. It will turn into L.A. or any other place for that matter. We have had the most growth for years and it's continuing even more, that means if some of us who actually live here are complaining about traffic, you will one day.

Lots of times when a person is on vacation things don't bother us as much as when they actually live here for a while. Usually it's the drivers more than the traffic that are bad. (Road rage shooting just last night!)

However, I will give you an example of traffic. A friend of mine was coming over to my house today from near the 51 and Cactus. They took the 51 (at 2:30pm) and it was PACKED getting on the 101. They called me telling me they were running late. I told them if they're sitting on the on ramp to the 101, it usually takes about 10 minutes, but they said they had already been waiting 15 minutes. Anyway, that is just one mile from your desert ridge area and the traffic was coming from the east (DR direction from scottsdale). I told them that it's always like that (as my BF drives that way everyday to work). Anyway, they got off the freeway soon after and took the surface streets at desert ridge. They complained about the traffic up there as well. Needless to say it took them over an hour to drive about 16 miles to my house at 230pm.

Maybe you didn't notice much traffic in the immediate area, but you will once you need to leave that area to go to work or anything else.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodson View Post
If you have better suggestions, then please let me know of areas that are affordable, $425k or less, and can get to 28th and Camelback easily. We are planning another trip back and would love to look at other possible areas. So far we have Desert Ridge, North Scottsdale (Sweetwater area), and Tatum Ranch.
Alternatives to these neighborhoods include North Central Phoenix, Arcadia, and the Paradise Valley Mall area (but not the town of Paradise Valley). All are substantially closer to Camelback Road and are more centrally located, which can be an asset if ever your employment shifts to another part of town even farther removed from where your live. Some zip codes to consider are 85014, 85016, 85018, 85020, and 85032. Your price target will be a bit of a stretch, but may be feasible depending on the square footage you are looking for.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:47 AM

78 posts, read 421,361 times
I've lived in the Desert Ridge area for the last year and a half. This area has one of the highest appreciation rates in the valley, meaning your house is probably worth substantially more than it was when you bought it.

The traffic, although heavy, isn't terrible. I personally avoid the Desert Ridge shopping center on weekends because it is PACKED, but that never stops the wife and daughter from going.

That area has just broken ground on several new subdivisions just off 56th St and the freeway, and another one on the west side of Cave Creek Rd. More commercial construction is currently ongoing just east of the shopping center.

I would recommend the area, but as another poster said, there are comparable areas nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area