Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM

27 posts, read 128,501 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]WOW. Thanks guys and gals for the helpful information (I’ll just ignore all the other comments of people apparently trying to judge me by my questions…). And thank you for the park map Murphy, I agree, a bit confusing. It looks like “Indian Bend Wash Greenbelt” is the place to be. Thanks JoninAZ for the hiking info, the Papago Park looks great… near the city and it appears there is a 4 mile “west loop” trail. I cant wait to check out all these places. Thanks All![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 01:42 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,187 times
Default There are a lot of Illegals in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeme View Post
Hello. I am looking to move to Phoenix and am looking for help.

What area is good for single “young professionals” to live?

I would like to be fairly close to the downtown area in a neighborhood close to parks/trails (I have a dog I walk at least 5 miles a day). I heard Scottsdale was is a nice place... Price is little of concern.

Also, what is the government doing to control the illegal immigrants... if anything?

Thanks in advance.

Don't move there.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:06 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,415,604 times
The Mexican population is big in Phoenix, you can only assume most of them are here illegally. The problem is bad, and getting worse it seems. We aren't doing anything to combat the immigration, Sheriff Joe tried, but did it in a way that was considered racial profiling.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:11 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Don't move there.
You had to bump up a year old thread that you already worthlessly "contributed" to already just to post that?

Wow, and I thought people had productive things to do in life.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,415,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
You had to bump up a year old thread that you already worthlessly "contributed" to already just to post that?

Wow, and I thought people had productive things to do in life.
No offense, but your post wasn't anymore constructive or relevant than his.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:40 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeme View Post
[SIZE=3]Thanks for all your comments. Actually I have lived/traveled all over the country and unfortunately seen a lot of places go down hill quickly, I am not trying to say the problems stem from immigration but rather the governments lack of growing a city properly. I believe its difficult to have a city prosper with so many cultures, mixed gangs groups, high children:teacher ratio ect. I do not want to judge Phoenix that why I posed the question. There is no use in me moving to another city that is going to end up like the one I just left. What is the government doing to control the illegal issue? Am I out of luck? Should I move to Mexico? I heard Tempe was a college town, do 30 something’s live there? It looks like Tempe, Scottsdale, and northern Phoenix have been suggested, are there many trails/parks/pedestrian and dog friendly sidewalks?[/SIZE]
Tempe is actually quite a diverse town in terms of age, outside the immediate university community. Yes, there are young professionals here. There are a number of parks all over the metro area, Tempe and Scottsdale included, where dog walking is common (particularly Indian Bend park in Scottsdale and Kiwanis and ASU Research Parks in Tempe); lots of people walk their dogs on the canal banks, particularly in the north Phoenix area, but the canal system is in other areas too (note: you will likely not be walking your dog five miles a day regularly in the summer months here, as sometimes it is too warm even in the dark, but the rest of the time, you'll be fine. So long as you follow the "clean up after your dogs" laws, you'll find dog friendly areas all over.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:26 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
No offense, but your post wasn't anymore constructive or relevant than his.
Nor was yours

I just thought his post was worthless since he bumped up an old thread for absolutely no reason except to express his dislike of Phoenix.

Since it was already bumped and on the first page near the top, though, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give my two cents

Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The Mexican population is big in Phoenix, you can only assume most of them are here illegally. The problem is bad, and getting worse it seems. We aren't doing anything to combat the immigration, Sheriff Joe tried, but did it in a way that was considered racial profiling.
Most of the "Mexicans," hispanics, or latinos in Phoenix are not illegal immigrants. Of the nearly 1 million hispanics in the Phoenix area a handful are illegal compared to us "legal" or just American hispanics. Of the 30 million hispanics in the U.S., a few hundred thousand are thought to be here illegally.

If you want expansive, green, and walkable neighborhoods that intertwine parks, paths, bike lanes, and the sort into the community I would look into downtown Phoenix and the central neighborhoods. You can walk from downtown neighborhoods (which are greenbelts) all the way up the Murphy Bridle path, through parks, etc. and back and would easily walk 20 miles or more and not get through every area.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Of the 30 million hispanics in the U.S., a few hundred thousand are thought to be here illegally.
Are you joking? Here's a quote from the WSJ 4 days ago:

Pew Hispanic estimates that the Mexican immigrant population in the U.S. slipped to 11.5 million from 11.6 million between March 2008 and March 2009.

I'd say a few hundred thousand MIGHT cover Maricopa County.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:06 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Are you joking? Here's a quote from the WSJ 4 days ago:

Pew Hispanic estimates that the Mexican immigrant population in the U.S. slipped to 11.5 million from 11.6 million between March 2008 and March 2009.

I'd say a few hundred thousand MIGHT cover Maricopa County.
If you noticed, it said Mexican "immigrant" population. We are talking about illegal immigrants here, not legal. Yes, there are millions of legal Mexican immigrants living in the U.S., hell many of my Mexican friends have parents who are legal Mexican immigrants. Careful what you say. Just because they are from Mexico, doesn't mean they are illegal buddy.

However, I think we might be confusing terms. I mean that 33 million hispanics are counted by the census bureau as legal residents, but that I believe a few hundred thousand of those may be illegal, as in using someone else's ID. As in Juan Jose from somewhere in Mexico stole Mark Cortez from Phoenix identity and is being counted for example. I know most of us with spanish names check our credit and driving records frequently to insure that no one else is using it. It would be funny in many instances however, since many of my friend's and family have mixed anglo and spanish names like Nathan, Mike, Jonathan, Kate, etc as first names. Would be somewhat obvious to run into a non-English speaking hispanic using Katherine/Kate or Jonathan as their first names.

However, I do believe there are millions of uncounted, estimated illegals that aren't part of the 30 million legal residents. Maybe that clears it up...Someone said earlier in this thread that there are lots of Mexicans in Phoenix and most of them are illegal. Of the 1 million legal hispanics in metro Phoenix there are tens of thousands of estimated illegals; but not most of us, etc.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 07-27-2009 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area