Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:20 AM

5 posts, read 9,571 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to Phoenix from upstate NY. I have read a lot of the threads here about how horrid Phoenix is. Both my siblings live in AZ, one in Phoenix, and the other in Peoria. I was told Peoria is better than Phoenix but being that we do not have car and won't purchase one until after we move, moving to Phoenix would be the best way to go because it has public transportation. I need some information about this. Coming from Brooklyn NY orginally there is no transportation like NYC's but would like to know how reliable Phoenix transportation is.

What areas specifically should I stay away from in Phoenix? I have lived in cities most of my life but and just want to know which areas to steer clear from and which areas are decent but affordable. We will be renting and most likely will be looking for an apartment in the many complexes available. It would just help since I am doing this all over the internet and phone with some help from my siblings. Eventually we will be moving in a more country type setting, or whatever "country" is in AZ

Thank you so much~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 12:40 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,544 times
Don't worry too much - there are plenty of good areas. It's by no means all bad news. Just like NY or any other huge metro area, there's favorable places and others you'd do better to avoid.

That said, it would help if you provided a bit more information. Public transport isn't the best, and even if it was, this is a huge metro area. Do you have a job lined up? A career focus?

Old 10-05-2008, 12:56 AM

Thank you. I figured as much since living in a few different cities ranging from Brooklyn, NY, Waterbury, CT to Newport News VA

Anyway, both my fiance have over 20 years retail/customer service management experience so we are signed up with every job site there is on the net. We're looking for something to rent that is basic, clean and affordable (under $1000) since both of us are truly starting from the ground up after coming out of a divorce and break-up (each of us) and moving to Phoenix is our "New Chapter" and although it gets very very hot in the Summer months I NEED to see the Sun shining most everyday, something that genuinely make sme happy~

We don't want to use public transportation for too long but know we will have to until we find a car when we're out there.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Well, there is always the bus. Valley Metro | Welcome
Plan your move around the bus schedule and you should be ok. But, don't think you won't nee a car. We really don't have the best transit system, you need to budget in a car. You can get a used car at no credit places that will lend to you themselves for a monthly payment, or you can buy one that runs but is ugly like I have done for around 1200 to 1500 dollars. So if you budget that, then you'll be on your way to happiness.
You will love Phoenix if you need sunshine! We have a lot of it! Summers aren't as bad as people say, I hate them, but it's because you just get bored and tired of the same old thing, they really are something we all make it through, and even some enjoy. Just have a pool somewhere around you, if you get hot, go swimming. lol
Get a car with air conditioning, and get it by the next summer! Walking everyday in this heat is a different story. Good Luck to you on your next chapter!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
During the building/buying rush here, we have seen tons of new retail space being built. However, with the economic mess right now we are not seeing the spaces being rented out and they sit empty. I would do some serious job hunting before moving this far in hopes of finding a job. With all the layoffs soon to hit next year the ones we do have may be spoken for quickly. Best of luck.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:53 PM

Oh, yes, i do agree about budgeting a car in by next summer. I lived in VA with my car (we had one and it just recently died) without A/C and I will NEVER do that again.

I have been on everyday, sending resumes out, was even suggested about looking jobing.com as well the looking through the newspaper ads online, etc, the same for rentals.

It's smart to obtain employment first then look for a place. I am determined to be out in AZ before January and will not look back AZ does have everything, and that includes mountains, greenery, waterfalls, rivers etc, one just has to look for it and the energy that I am told that is out there is something to experience and I am ready

Thank you everyone for being so helpful.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:56 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentroy View Post
I was told Peoria is better than Phoenix but being that we do not have car and won't purchase one until after we move, moving to Phoenix would be the best way to go because it has public transportation. I need some information about this. Coming from Brooklyn NY orginally there is no transportation like NYC's but would like to know how reliable Phoenix transportation is.

Thank you so much~
Peoria better than Phoenix? By what criteria? Peoria is a fast-growing suburb with an established southern part near the 101 Freeway and a sprawlish northern part with remote developments like Vistancia. Phoenix, on the other hand, is the core city with all sorts of neighborhoods -- good, bad, beautiful, ugly, safe, dangerous, whatever. It's really a matter of personal preference rather than one being intrinsically better than the other.

If you're going to be transit-dependent, however, settling in Peoria is not a good idea. You'll want to be in Central Phoenix or Tempe. Those areas have the most extensive bus service and will also be served by the new light rail line when service starts December 27.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:11 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
I can't comment to much about the Phoenix area as we've only lived here less than 2 years. We actually live out in the "country" and it's nice and quiet. We are a little concerned though with the slowing down of the housing market that the area we live in may turn into the "slums of phoenix" but we're renting so whatever.

Anyway, we moved out here from upstate NY, too, and just wanted to say good luck on your drive. We left end of December and had a lovely drive. Enjoy it!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:10 PM

First of all I only mentioned about Peoria since my sister and her husband live there and they were comparing it to a more urban, city life. I have lived in the suburbs as well as the city and I am very much aware of the good, bad, ugly, beautiful etc.

As I said above, it is much better for my fiance and I to move to Phoenix since it is a very large city that has more amenitites for our situation right now. We we are more established I would like to move out into a more "country" setting but until then I am researching Phoenix which I have to say despite all the negativity that I have read in these threads I am very excited about the move. I am very adaptable to my surroundings and as long as it is in a safe area I am set!

Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 AM

68 posts, read 285,762 times
Jentroy,

I have ridden on Phoenix transportation aka Valley Metro for the past couple years and have adapted to getting around without a car.

Anyways, you will come to find that Valley Metro will get you to your destination - eventually.

On the week days, the main lines, red, green, blue, etc... run till 11:30 p.m., or 12:00 a.m. at the latest and start about 4:30 a.m. or 5:00 a.m.

Now since this is a warm weather climate, it attracts elderly folks, wheel chair bound people and a large amount of homeless people. The loading and unloading of wheel chairs and dealing with drunks on the bus does tend to slow the bus down some.

If you are going from point A to point B, a straight shot, then you will most likely get there in a fair amount of time. However, if you do have to transfer, like say go from Phoenix to Tempe, i.e switch directions (southbound, to eastbound) you can expect to wait a little bit longer for the next bus.

They are opening up the light rail in December and on major routes they are considering running the busses every 15 minutes versus the 30 minutes that they currently do.

A monthly pass costs $45 and can be purchased down town. All day ride passes are $2.50 and will be compatible with the light rail when it does open.

All in all, Phoenix does not have the best bus system, but they are at least making an effort to improve. If you have to travel only a few blocks, say to the store, you're probably just better off walking. I've done that a couple times - wait on the bus for 30 mins and only 8 blocks away from destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area