Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,122 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide insight to the South Mountain area?
I plan to put money down next month on a new home south of 32nd st and baseline and concerned about the area. Home is upscale, near mountain and gated but area seems like it is in transition and could improve? Currently live in Ahwatukee but homes are older and only new homes are in Queen Creek(too far). Work in Tempe....
New retail stores/restaurants planned, crime decreasing/increasing, forecasted house values, ect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
last summer there were two serial killers in this area , this was on the news, some one please correct me if I am wrong !

Old 02-10-2007, 04:41 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
The serial killers are believed to have been apprehended, so that issue's probably off the table. Besides, they struck throughout the city. One was called the "Baseline Killer" only because some of his first crimes occured there; he then diversified the locations of his targets.

As far as new retail development goes, there is a large new shopping center at 24th St. and Baseline Road anchored by a Target store. I don't know much about the home values, but given the pace of both residential and retail development, I would say the neighborhood is steadily improving.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:48 AM

401 posts, read 2,604,545 times
From what I know, certain areas of South Phoenix are considered some of the most dangerous streets in AZ. A few rappers that are starting to get national publicity openly rep "The hard streets of South Phoenix". I guess you just have to kind of scope out the area and see what you are comfortable with

Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
From what I know, certain areas of South Phoenix are considered some of the most dangerous streets in AZ. A few rappers that are starting to get national publicity openly rep "The hard streets of South Phoenix". I guess you just have to kind of scope out the area and see what you are comfortable with
The areas referred to in hip-hop lyrics are more likely to be up by 24th St. and Broadway, and area that has historically been a high-crime zone. Baseline is two miles south of there and a bit safer, although certainly not perfect.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:15 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,545 times
[quote=silverbear;356233]The areas referred to in hip-hop lyrics are more likely to be up by 24th St. and Broadway"

Yeah, I guess youre right. Willy Northpole is an up and coming rapper with G-Unit, and has a tatoo of Broadway on his back

Old 02-11-2007, 04:06 PM

226 posts, read 999,504 times
I live in Phoenix and I wouldn't drive anywhere close to south mountain. CRIME...... it's not safe. Look elsewhere is my advice

Old 02-18-2007, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 32,684 times
I'm a teacher in the South Phoenix area. I work at 10th and Baseline. I have found that 32nd and baseline is far enough east that it is still nice. There is that nice new Fry's and Target plaza to shop at. I get luch at the noodle place on Fridays. I think the area is under major revamp and will continue to be imporved. Look into the schools closely if oyu have kiddos. Roosevelt school district sucks and don't send your babies there if you don't have too. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,828 times
Default Welcome to the neighborhood

Yes, South Phoenix does have it's share of crime, probably a little more than other parts of the city. This comes naturally with areas in transition.

I say buy now. There are major retail and housing project slated for 2007. In a year or two, you will own a house in a very desirable part of the city.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
I was just down in that area today (45th St & Baseline) and it looked like a nice area that would be backed up into the South Mountain. There was a good deal of shopping at 48th Street and it’s only a short distance away from the Pointe at South Mountain. I was some newer homes on the north side of Baseline all gated. I guess one question is why gated? That is telling me something in of itself.

The area isn’t all that safe, just north of baseline there are some neighborhoods that I don’t believe I’d want to be in during the night. One of the biggest reasons for home prices being lower in on area then another is the value of the neighborhood and the property they are building on. They save money building on cheap land, and pass the savings on to the buyer. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for most of the time. I don’t see this as a good investment and resale may be very difficult in the future.

Upgrade an older home in an established area that you know is stable. You know what you have around you when all of the area is already developed. Look for stable with no decline in value in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area