Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 981 times

Advertisements

Hi,

After several months of looking around at places to live with a realtor, we were not able to find one. I decided to stop the search and found something temporarily on my own. I feel terrible not being able to give her my business and would like to gift her in some way. I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking of a gift certificate to a restaurant.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 12:16 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlin213 View Post
Hi,

After several months of looking around at places to live with a realtor, we were not able to find one. I decided to stop the search and found something temporarily on my own. I feel terrible not being able to give her my business and would like to gift her in some way. I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking of a gift certificate to a restaurant.

Thank you.
Referrals are the best gift you can give a realtor. Just let her know that anytime you know of someone wanting to move, you will refer her.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:46 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times
Here's what you do. You buy her something nice but impersonal, like a two-pound box of Godiva chocolate (wait until the temperature drops a few more degrees). Then you write her a lovely thank-you note (not an email), which you will send with the box. And you not only tell her how much you appreciate her, but ask her for a dozen of her business cards, and promise to recommend her.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:24 AM

2,004 posts, read 864,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlin213 View Post
Hi,

Thank you.
She didn't find you what you wanted, why do you feel you owe her anything?

And, after selling two homes in the past two years using realtors, I liken them to used car salesman. Can’t trust them far as you can throw them.
It's all about the money, not about you.

Old 10-01-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
She didn't find you what you wanted, why do you feel you owe her anything?

And, after selling two homes in the past two years using realtors, I liken them to used car salesman. Can’t trust them far as you can throw them.
It's all about the money, not about you.
Two realtors out of the thousands that are licensed here....seems like you are painting with a very broad brush. There is a reason some realtors get referred over and over. Looks like you just didn't do your due diligence. I put that on you, not the industry as a whole.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:56 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,135 times
Just give her $3,000

Old 10-02-2023, 06:18 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
I wanted to give something from Arizona....so I gave my agents 5 pounds of Yuma County dates.

Old 10-02-2023, 12:04 PM

2,004 posts, read 864,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Two realtors out of the thousands that are licensed here....seems like you are painting with a very broad brush. There is a reason some realtors get referred over and over. Looks like you just didn't do your due diligence. I put that on you, not the industry as a whole.
The realtors that I dealt with were from Maryland. But, I did deal with one from Arizona.

I don't care for realtors. Most, but not all are unethical. They all use home inspectors that they know personally. They all are quick to offer the assistance of referred repair work of people they know. It's a shady business of people that dress nice, drive nice cars that pick your pockets.
And, the biggest financial transaction of any one's life is handled by an individual that has little or no education except for a 90 day realtor course. The system needs to be revamped with more educated responsible people.

Last edited by Greenvalleyfan; 10-02-2023 at 12:29 PM..

Old 10-02-2023, 01:00 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
The realtors that I dealt with were from Maryland. But, I did deal with one from Arizona.

I don't care for realtors. Most, but not all are unethical. They all use home inspectors that they know personally. They all are quick to offer the assistance of referred repair work of people they know.
You should not automatically go with a home inspector or handymain/contractor recommended by your realtor. Always find one on your own. The last home purchase I made my realtor gave me that exact advice. She said, to be sure of complete impartiality, I should bring in my own experts.

Old 10-03-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I don't care for realtors. Most, but not all are unethical. They all use home inspectors that they know personally. They all are quick to offer the assistance of referred repair work of people they know. It's a shady business of people that dress nice, drive nice cars that pick your pockets.
And, the biggest financial transaction of any one's life is handled by an individual that has little or no education except for a 90 day realtor course. The system needs to be revamped with more educated responsible people.
The buyer purchases their own inspection. You can literally use whoever you want.

And yes, I admit the barrier to entry is low; however, most of the successful agents I know have a college degree (not that that matters, really).

But to the most important point - I think there are plenty of ethical agents out there. Most of them are doing what is in the best interest of their client, because that ultimately dictates how much they get paid. I'm not really sure how screwing over their client would make them more money. Some may be uneducated, and make mistakes - but I don't think many are intentionally going out of their way to pick your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area