Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 01:03 PM

189 posts, read 201,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
So the Scottsdale mayor is correct. Screw them. They wanted to be off the grid and that is what you get. Including dirt and dusty roads.

Tying it back into the thread, those Rio Verde Foothills homes are spendy. But I'm guessing those septic homes are taking a beating.
Hopefully potential buyers are learning from this, and have learned the importance of water rights. This is really no different than a lot of people in America who live without city water and have to haul it. It's a trade off. But the fact that the Rio Verde folks are acting entitled is what irks me, when they either ignored Scottsdale or were too lazy to understand the water rights of the neighborhood they bought into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 11:52 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUgrad09 View Post
Hopefully potential buyers are learning from this, and have learned the importance of water rights. This is really no different than a lot of people in America who live without city water and have to haul it. It's a trade off. But the fact that the Rio Verde folks are acting entitled is what irks me, when they either ignored Scottsdale or were too lazy to understand the water rights of the neighborhood they bought into.
Agreed. More power to those who live out in the boonies. They chose to reside where they do largely because they want to be away from the city, but they have no business expecting to receive city services. It's a matter of taking the bitter with the sweet.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:09 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
AZ Central has a piece today on where valley home prices rose and fell in Q4. The data are muddy but affluent areas took some of the biggest hits with so-called affordable areas holding or even gaining in value. The worst area was in San Tan and the best was a downtown to west Phoenix ZIP.

Link is subscriber only (note: they have a deal today for 1 year digital for $1!):

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...2/69900719007/

Old 02-15-2023, 11:31 AM

189 posts, read 201,086 times
Looks like Maricopa County will temporarily help out the Rio Verde residents with water.

https://www.yourvalley.net/stories/a...sidents,368667

Old 02-18-2023, 08:15 PM

372 posts, read 205,626 times
I've been watching the water issue in Phoenix for years now. There will come a time when property values will tank, due to water issues. How on earth, can people be building new homes where there will be no water, eventually? 100 years of water...I don't think so. Is this not a reality to people who live there? I like Phoenix, but I'd not spend a dime of money on real estate there.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:03 AM

9,816 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I've been watching the water issue in Phoenix for years now.
Well (pun intended), if you have been watching closely. you understand that you cannot put "Arizona" in the same bucket of water as Maricopa county (another pun intended). If we are talking about groundwater for agriculture in rural areas, then we agree, the clock is ticking and they may be screwed.

Quote:
How on earth, can people be building new homes where there will be no water, eventually?
Sigh. I thought you told us you have been following it closely? It seems your premise is "there will be no water, eventually". Please explain how that's going to happen. Will it stop raining and snowing? If and when Colorado River stops flowing, agriculture (read that last word twice) will be screwed and you and I will be paying more for items at the grocery.

OF COURSE, the area will conserve even more and reuse its water, stop canal leaks, etc. If that happens, then the price of water is going to go UP, and I expect the golf courses will have more brown spots on the edges of the course. Houses will have more artificial turf, showers will be shorter, pool build restrictions will be enforced, etc.

Now if you are a hydrology expert in the water resources department, please educated us all. Evidently, you studied the topic more than anyone else, so I am interested in hearing your educated opinion. lol

Quote:
How on earth, can people be building new homes where there will be no water, eventually? 100 years of water...I don't think so.
I agree that you don't think. Unless you share your expertise on how you know what you know, I'm marking you down as someone who reads some headlines from time to time. Like this absolute POS garbage article https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-end-rcna57550
"More than 500 households in the rural Arizona desert are set to be without running water starting January, 1 2023, as first reported by NBC News." By the way, the only ones that "ran dry" are the stupid people who built there and couldn't afford to buy more expensive water that was now trucked farther away. Don't believe me, here is what really happened https://www.citysuntimes.com/news/sc...59ff334a2.html "Because of this restriction, the water haulers Rio Verde relied on had to find another source of water, which the city of Scottsdale said could be hauled from other jurisdictions to continue to serve homes in Rio Verde."

Here is some math for you. There are 1,700,000 households in Maricopa county. And 500 idiot households without city water and sewer didn't have water rights. Would you like me to work that percentage for you? Somehow, this made national news!? I could just imagine not-so-smart people reading those headlines thinking " Gee... How on earth, can people be building new homes where there will be no water, eventually? Is this not a reality for people who live there? "

Now bring something to the table with real substance to substantiate your claims.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-19-2023 at 06:16 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Well (pun intended), if you have been watching closely. you understand that you cannot put "Arizona" in the same bucket of water as Maricopa county (another pun intended). If we are talking about groundwater for agriculture in rural areas, then we agree, the clock is ticking and they may be screwed.

Sigh. I thought you told us you have been following it closely? It seems your premise is "there will be no water, eventually". Please explain how that's going to happen. Will it stop raining and snowing? If and when Colorado River stops flowing, agriculture (read that last word twice) will be screwed and you and I will be paying more for items at the grocery.

OF COURSE, the area will conserve even more and reuse its water, stop canal leaks, etc. If that happens, then the price of water is going to go UP, and I expect the golf courses will have more brown spots on the edges of the course. Houses will have more artificial turf, showers will be shorter, pool build restrictions will be enforced, etc.

Now if you are a hydrology expert in the water resources department, please educated us all. Evidently, you studied the topic more than anyone else, so I am interested in hearing your educated opinion. lol

I agree that you don't think. Unless you share your expertise on how you know what you know, I'm marking you down as someone who reads some headlines from time to time. Like this absolute POS garbage article https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-end-rcna57550
"More than 500 households in the rural Arizona desert are set to be without running water starting January, 1 2023, as first reported by NBC News." By the way, the only ones that "ran dry" are the stupid people who built there and couldn't afford to buy more expensive water that was now trucked farther away. Don't believe me, here is what really happened https://www.citysuntimes.com/news/sc...59ff334a2.html "Because of this restriction, the water haulers Rio Verde relied on had to find another source of water, which the city of Scottsdale said could be hauled from other jurisdictions to continue to serve homes in Rio Verde."

Here is some math for you. There are 1,700,000 households in Maricopa county. And 500 idiot households without city water and sewer didn't have water rights. Would you like me to work that percentage for you? Somehow, this made national news!? I could just imagine not-so-smart people reading those headlines thinking " Gee... How on earth, can people be building new homes where there will be no water, eventually? Is this not a reality for people who live there? "

Now bring something to the table with real substance to substantiate your claims.
I'm not a scientist...just someone who is retired and has looked at Maricopa County for living. The climate is something I would love. I just can't believe that so many people build homes in the desert...you know, the desert. Maybe you should do more reading as to how they plan to solve this problem. I've read suggestions to pipe water in from the Great Lakes, lol. Sure, that's a great idea, especially since there's a treaty with Canada and the Great Lakes states. Just because millions want to live in the desert, doesn't give them the right to poach water. They need to figure it out...the first step would be to stop building. You seem to be in denial. When water has to be trucked from one community to another...that's not a problem???

Articles on the internet abound, maybe you should read some of them. I haven't read one single article, that says this isn't a problem, and "not to worry....". Not a one.

Last edited by Bicala; 02-19-2023 at 07:37 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 08:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
I've been watching the water issue in Phoenix for years now. There will come a time when property values will tank, due to water issues. How on earth, can people be building new homes where there will be no water, eventually? 100 years of water...I don't think so. Is this not a reality to people who live there? I like Phoenix, but I'd not spend a dime of money on real estate there.
C'mon you've been watching water issues in Phoenix for years and this is your post on it? Arizona/Phoenix is simply shifting it's water use from farming to urban settings, which uses far less per acre than 2 or 3 of the 5 C's this state was founded on. How can you follow water use here for years and not understand new homes are simply a shift from one source to another?

Do you really think the nation's 5th largest city and 11th largest metro will just hangout and do nothing for the next 50-years? Arizona has always been focused on water strategy and the state is already looking decades ahead into future expansions.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
I'm not a scientist...just someone who is retired and has looked at Maricopa County for living. The climate is something I would love. I just can't believe that so many people build homes in the desert...you know, the desert. Maybe you should do more reading as to how they plan to solve this problem. I've read suggestions to pipe water in from the Great Lakes, lol. Sure, that's a great idea, especially since there's a treaty with Canada and the Great Lakes states. Just because millions want to live in the desert, doesn't give them the right to poach water. They need to figure it out...the first step would be to stop building. You seem to be in denial. When water has to be trucked from one community to another...that's not a problem???

Articles on the internet abound, maybe you should read some of them. I haven't read one single article, that says this isn't a problem, and "not to worry....". Not a one.
You need to remember that articles almost always have an agenda, click bait. They don't make money publishing something reasonable, such as the volume of water Arizona has access to versus the amount used in it's urban settings (I'll give you a hint Arizona's majority water use is not homes in Phoenix, and it's not even close). Shock factor is what gets you to click it, so a story like "Arizona city runs out of water" gets that going, as opposed to "Arizona city needs to develop it's own water source now, relying on Scottsdale Muni supply is no longer an option."

If you want to read up on the reality, there are state resources (not clickbait articles with alarming headlines) that will help you understand how things are being managed in the Grand Canyon State. Predictions of Phoenix's demise have been around since the 1800s.

We know it's a desert, we happen to love it. And it's okay that you don't want to live here, it's not really a great retirement location anymore anyways, it's a big city of 5 million+ now.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You need to remember that articles almost always have an agenda, click bait. They don't make money publishing something reasonable, such as the volume of water Arizona has access to versus the amount used in it's urban settings (I'll give you a hint Arizona's majority water use is not homes in Phoenix, and it's not even close). Shock factor is what gets you to click it, so a story like "Arizona city runs out of water" gets that going, as opposed to "Arizona city needs to develop it's own water source now, relying on Scottsdale Muni supply is no longer an option."

If you want to read up on the reality, there are state resources (not clickbait articles with alarming headlines) that will help you understand how things are being managed in the Grand Canyon State. Predictions of Phoenix's demise have been around since the 1800s.

We know it's a desert, we happen to love it. And it's okay that you don't want to live here, it's not really a great retirement location anymore anyways, it's a big city of 5 million+ now.
I'm fully aware it's a city of 5 million in the desert. I have a close friend who used to live there, and the things I read are not all "click bait." You keep believing what you want, and be in denial of a real water issue that exists. If you really don't think water is an issue, that's your problem, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area