Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 11:27 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times

Advertisements

Too contrived.

I’m all about vertical growth and less sprawl but the QOL with a huge population would tank here due to the environment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 10:38 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Too contrived.

I’m all about vertical growth and less sprawl but the QOL with a huge population would tank here due to the environment
Are you talking about water? If that's the biggest case, pipeline it from the Pacific ocean. Water is the new oil for AZ.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:54 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Personally, I would have preferred Skyharbor get moved somewhere south of the metro area, west of I-10 and east of SH-347 but I think its designated for Gila tribal land. So its out of the question.
I think the location is an asset. I hate Denvers airport, it is so far from everything.

One of the reason State Farm moved their headquarters to Tempe was because you can get to the Airport to the office via train in a short period of time.

Most of the RFP's from large companies building huge headquarters is access to quick and efficient public transit from the airport.

If you want high rises, build them in uptown.

Old 11-26-2021, 01:01 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Nay-sayers are coming out of the woodwork as usual. If Phoenix wants to be unique from other large city skylines in the United States, they should use Egyptian styled architecture or even bring ideas from Dubai and build them here. Who wouldn't want Phoenix to resemble this?
The usual ones who complain about anything vertical, even if it's 50 to 100 feet taller than what they're used to. They're perfectly content if nothing disturbs their free access to hiking trails, and their views of the "smoggy, dusty mountains". These are often the same types who gripe about jet noise, traffic noise, helicopter noise, or practically any kind of new development that doesn't involve WalMart, Costco, or Starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Too contrived.

Dubai's population is roughly the same as metro Phoenix's. It's not super huge like Shanghai, Tokyo, or even NYC. Phoenix doesn't have to copy Dubai, but we could certainly take some hints from their development & architectural strategy, which is the main reason they're world class and we're not. Also, Dubai has a very high quality of life from what I've read about it. They have a low crime rate, and the city was ranked as one of the world's safest.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:28 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Are you talking about water? If that's the biggest case, pipeline it from the Pacific ocean. Water is the new oil for AZ.
No. Too many people, lack of rain, rising temperatures, brush/forest fires, and pollution. Not to mention traffic and overcrowding at the parts of the state that make Phoenix great (Rim, White Mountains, Flagstaff etc)

Old 11-27-2021, 09:30 AM

409 posts, read 398,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I think the location is an asset. I hate Denvers airport, it is so far from everything.

One of the reason State Farm moved their headquarters to Tempe was because you can get to the Airport to the office via train in a short period of time.

Most of the RFP's from large companies building huge headquarters is access to quick and efficient public transit from the airport.

If you want high rises, build them in uptown.
State Farm has a regional office here, not headquarters lol. Phoenix could never attract that.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
State Farm has a regional office here, not headquarters lol. Phoenix could never attract that.
This sentence exposes the biggest challenge for Phoenix, in particular, and Arizona, in general. The inability of the 5th largest city in the nation to attract headquarters of large corporations is an enigma.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:30 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This sentence exposes the biggest challenge for Phoenix, in particular, and Arizona, in general. The inability of the 5th largest city in the nation to attract headquarters of large corporations is an enigma.
It's really not puzzling when you look at what our economic focus has been for a long time: snowbirds, retirees, sun lovers, and those looking for a cheaper cost of living. This is the complete opposite of what large reputable corporations are searching for. They want people with skills, intelligence, ambition, and goals ... not those who just want to lay out in the sun, go hiking, and balk at progress. Phoenix may be the nation's 5th largest city, but it still doesn't act like it in a lot of ways, despite some improvement in recent years.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's really not puzzling when you look at what our economic focus has been for a long time: snowbirds, retirees, sun lovers, and those looking for a cheaper cost of living. This is the complete opposite of what large reputable corporations are searching for. They want people with skills, intelligence, ambition, and goals ... not those who just want to lay out in the sun, go hiking, and balk at progress. Phoenix may be the nation's 5th largest city, but it still doesn't act like it in a lot of ways, despite some improvement in recent years.
There is cities and metro areas much smaller than us who attract far more business than Phoenix.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
It is a nice building they have but I also know it is mostly just a call center, had a friend who did that part time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area