Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 41,188 times

Advertisements

Hello, All,

I am doing significant work on my home in Phoenix, AZ., and expect to put it on the market this Fall. Thought I would install new tile and carpet, and now am rethinking it, considering whether I should install hard wood floors. Just don't know about the payback. I spoke with an experienced realtor, and he said everyones preferences are different, and was not a proponent of investing big on the flooring. He said that some people may like dark wood, others like light wood, etc. Hardwood floors would be in the entry way, kitchen, dining room, and living room. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I want to resolve this in my mind and move on.

Thanks, All.

Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,912 times
I personally love hardwood floors as long as the entire downstairs is not hardwood. I love a hardwood/plush carpet mix. I recently put in hardwood in my kitchen and bathroom and new carpet in the living room, but not just for re-sale, but for my own enjoyment the next couple of years.

I guess you should do it if a) your current floor plan is bad -- your carpet worn thin and stained; b) if you really think it's going to add value to your resale.

In this market, would you be willing to take a slight loss on it? It's not a friendly time to sell, so it's risky either way. Are you sure you want to sell right now? I would consider, if you're able to do handy-work, and you have some savings, to rent it out and wait for the market to turn.

That's what I would do where I live, though in my neighborhood, NOTHING is selling.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 41,188 times
Default Hardwood Floors

Yes, you're right the market is bad. I was also thinking that if I need to lease my house, versus selling it, wouldn't want to put in expensive wood floors that need to be maintained properly by lessors...

Julie

Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 PM

551 posts, read 1,591,308 times
I love my laminate flooring. We put it in 2007 and the flooring has held up well. It has also brightened the house as the flooring is birch in color. Laminate flooring is easy care but the only thing you have to be careful of is water. I never have mopped the floor with water but use a Swifter mop instead. You can also purchase special flooring cleaner but the Swifter cleaning supplies are at Wal Mart.

LF

Last edited by LadmoFan; 05-11-2008 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Added forgotten comments

Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,740 times
There are so many new products out there and it also depends on the house. I love some of the tile floor products that look like wood tiles/planks. Of course they might look best in a more modern design. If your place is a 1900-something Craftsman, on the other hand, it would be wrong to not have real wood floors.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie W View Post
Yes, you're right the market is bad. I was also thinking that if I need to lease my house, versus selling it, wouldn't want to put in expensive wood floors that need to be maintained properly by lessors...

Julie
Interesting question, Julie

Depending on the price range your home falls, I believe Hardwood Floors would definitely be a positive for selling.

On the flip side, as long as we're not talking Million Dollar Plus, high quality laminate flooring would help with the sale but would not be a problem if you do decide or are forced to rent.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,506,901 times
I don't know...we had neighbors who put in hardwood and it looked GREAT. I love hardwood. When they went to sell though, the #1 negative they heard about the house was "want tile, don't like hardwood." The realtor had told them hardwood is not looked at favorably in AZ, and they had a lot of trouble selling b/c of it. Over and over that was the one thing people didn't like.

I love it...I just don't know if it's a good call for a regular, standard AZ home..

Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,385 times
Hardwood floors will cost about double of tile, carpet or laminate flooring. Unless the floors are in poor condition now, I would not replace them, especially with wood.

Like frog said, lots of people do not like hardwood floors. This type of flooring would not be my first choice if I were looking to buy your house.

altus2006

Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
You will lose money on any improvement you make for sale. Nothing pays back what it costs in this market. The only thing it might do is make it more attractive to a buyer who likes wood floors and, at the same time, less attractive to one who does not.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,966 times
I thought about hardwood floors, but due to the termite situation in the area, I would go with an imitation wood instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area