Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM

21 posts, read 70,784 times

Advertisements

I am new to AZ, just moved here 2 weeks ago from NJ.

I was driving on E. Shea Blvd a last week at night. At the intersection of 90th street I was in the middle of the intersection with another car or two and the camera flashes went off. When I entered the intersection the light was clearly green it changed to orange while I was in the middle of the intersection.

Is this considered running a red light?

Also how soon after the flash goes off do you get the ticket in the mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 AM

123 posts, read 488,456 times
You can't run a red light when it is amber. You get a ticket when the light changes to red, then you enter the intersection.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
These cameras are probably the same across the country. Basing my answer on that, I've seen traffic cameras taking pictures even when nobody was breaking the law. I assume a person will review the pictures and see that you didn't break the law and you'll be okay. Or at least you'll be okay as long as you didn't enter the intersection after the red came on.

Funny, I just got my picture took today too. I stopped before I entered the intersection, and in fact it was a fairly abrupt stop, but I'm confident that I didn't break the law and not worried about getting a ticket.

One nice thing about AZ, as far as I know, you don't need any front license plate. (Correct me on that if I'm wrong.) Here in CA you need the front plate. Without the plate it's harder to photo ticket somebody.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:16 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmen View Post

I was driving on E. Shea Blvd a last week at night. At the intersection of 90th street I was in the middle of the intersection with another car or two and the camera flashes went off. When I entered the intersection the light was clearly green it changed to orange while I was in the middle of the intersection.

From my day at traffic school here, if you are at the intersection and halfway through and then turn, you won't get a ticket because it doesn't pick it up if you're halfway through. That flash might have been for someone else.

When I first moved here I thought I was in a police state - sometimes I still do. Avoid ALL areas where there is a school in Scottsdale. Do not drive down Sweetwater during the day, as they have their little mobile unit there.

Generally it's a couple of weeks before you get your picture in the mail - yes, your picture. It's hard to dispute a picture of you. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
These cameras are probably the same across the country. Basing my answer on that, I've seen traffic cameras taking pictures even when nobody was breaking the law. I assume a person will review the pictures and see that you didn't break the law and you'll be okay. Or at least you'll be okay as long as you didn't enter the intersection after the red came on.

Funny, I just got my picture took today too. I stopped before I entered the intersection, and in fact it was a fairly abrupt stop, but I'm confident that I didn't break the law and not worried about getting a ticket.

One nice thing about AZ, as far as I know, you don't need any front license plate. (Correct me on that if I'm wrong.) Here in CA you need the front plate. Without the plate it's harder to photo ticket somebody.
Yes, you don't need a front plate here but it didn't matter in my case. They still nailed me.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times
Quote:

I answered this question (about running red lights & where an intersection actually starts) for someone else last December.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2368271-post69.html
Click on the photo for a larger image. Hope it helps.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:

If the facts of your post are accurate, Dagmen . . . don't worry as the "flashes" were probably directed towards another vehicle.

There's a major intersection only blocks from my home with Photo Cameras and I see the flashes frequently . . . hopefully, NOT AT ME.

THINK POSITIVE!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM

21 posts, read 70,784 times
Thanks everyone! I feel a little better. I will give it another couple of weeks to see if I get something in the mail, I hope not!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Sure! And if you get something in the mail, let us know what the fine is and friendly people that we all are, we'll chip in and help pay the fine for you.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I feel a little better. I will give it another couple of weeks to see if I get something in the mail, I hope not!
My fine was $157. I think traffic school was around $127. I remember that guy saying we'd be back in two years and I thought, hell no, no way. That was in 2004 and I haven't been back. Just know where the cameras are in Scottsdale and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: