Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:06 AM

3,816 posts, read 4,737,117 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into going to Phoenix next August (yes I'm sure it's hot )

I'd be going to a game there then driving to LA area. The amount of days I'd stay in Phoenix is not finalized yet. I know according to google maps it's about 3.5-4 hour drive to the Grand Canyon.

I know for many you all might think it's a pointless trip to try and do this in one day but I probably will be by myself & just looking to explore the whole area (Arizona area).

Is it possible to just touch the Grand Canyon area for goo views. I think a place called the South Rim? Provides that?

Ideally I guess I'm thinking of a taking a day trip there & back. Just taking my time. not trying to go down to the Canyon.

Is there any places worth stopping on the way there?
Recommended areas to stay at in Phoenix?
Are there any hiking spots around Phoenix area?

FYI. I imagine I'd probably try and stay within 5-10 miles of Chase Field.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 AM

6,867 posts, read 5,180,071 times
It can certainly be done as a day trip. Summer is a very busy time, and you’ll likely have to take a shuttle bus the last little bit to the South Rim. It’s not a big deal, but do allow some extra time for the shuttles.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It can certainly be done as a day trip. Summer is a very busy time, and you’ll likely have to take a shuttle bus the last little bit to the South Rim. It’s not a big deal, but do allow some extra time for the shuttles.
Thanks..

It looks like there is parking lots where you drive in & park. Then walk towards South Rim? Is that what you're referring to? Or do you literally have to park so far away & then take a shuttle to get to south rim?

I was looking at this piece of information.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/parking_sr.htm

Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks..

It looks like there is parking lots where you drive in & park. Then walk towards South Rim? Is that what you're referring to? Or do you literally have to park so far away & then take a shuttle to get to south rim?

I was looking at this piece of information.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/parking_sr.htm

Those are the lots where you park and then walk to the viewpoint. In the summer I expect those lots fill up on most days, at which point the park will stop allowing cars in. I've never had to take the shuttle, personally. I've always gone during the slow seasons, or arrived very early. One time I got there early enough to see the sunrise over the Canyon, which was quite nice.

Another option would be to take the east entrance, over by Desert View. I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that entrance is never closed to vehicle traffic. However, you would be battling for parking everywhere, so in some sense the shuttle bus would be less stressful.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 PM

So update here.
I think that a rental car is out of the question. Because I'd be picking up in Arizona & dropping off in California the extra cost is just not worth it

I was looking online for day trips to the Grand Canyon & it looks like they have them. They have some that actually pick you up from hotels in Phoenix area for a full day trip for a price around $180. I can live with that.

Anybody got experience with any reputable companies?

Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 PM

You could do a one-day car rental to get to the Canyon and back. That would certainly be cheaper than any tour.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,311,233 times
Yeah - you can get a good rate on a short term rental car in August

Some good deals on lodging as well - don't be afraid of looking at resorts

If time allows, could make a day trip to drive to Flagstaff by way of Prescott & Jerome and 89a - then run to the canyon in the AM and return to Phoenix later that night

Flagstaff can get busy in the summer as it pretty much never breaks 90

Old 04-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
You could do a one-day car rental to get to the Canyon and back. That would certainly be cheaper than any tour.
When I first read your suggestion I thought no way... But you might be onto something here. I could get a car, pay for gas, buy lunch, dinner & still not pay what the tour would cost. And I'd also have the freedom to explore on my own.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,311,233 times
Quote:
When I first read your suggestion I thought no way... But you might be onto something here. I could get a car, pay for gas, buy lunch, dinner & still not pay what the tour would cost. And I'd also have the freedom to explore on my own.
Yep - unless the tour had some additional perk, I'm not sure I'd want to tether to their schedule/ itinerary

Make sure to contemplate park admission as well which is $20 if you come in by park shuttle or $35 if you park inside the park (this option would cover passengers in your car, although it sounds like that isn't a consideration)

Old 04-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:

I'd be very surprised if car rental alternative is not cheaper.

Also, Finger Laker made a very good suggestion about summer accommodations. You can stay in some pretty nice Scottsdale resorts for not a lot of money. A few years ago I used Hotwire to find really nice rooms for $100-$125.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area