Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 53,412 times

Advertisements

I have job opportunities in both Surprise and Goodyear. I am moving with my two daughters from the Sacramento area. I am tired of the traffic. I really want to get some property 5-10 acres where we could keep some horses. I love the desert sunsets. Is it hard to find a home with a view? I want to live somewhere where the light pollution doesn't affect the desert starry nights. We are all outdoor enthusiasts (and glad that the ocean is still just a road trip away). In addition to horse-back riding trails.. how about hiking? I've heard the lakes can get pretty crowded. I have relatives who live on the eastern side of Phoenix. My cousin lives in Queen Creek and another in Gilbert. I remember when that was considered country living. Is the Phoenix urban sprawl all the way out to Goodyear. My daughters are 3 and 7 and so I will need to find a good school. We are actually coming from one of the better school districts in California. Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 36,471 times
I'm a fellow equestrian and my sister-in-law told me Surprise is VERY congested (we were looking there too). I also got some great advice from someone on this forum about Surprise and the reason for the low cost of homes so it's an area I personally would stay away from.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Good schools and rural living do not go hand in hand here as a rule. Many of these rural areas are poor or populated with people who do not value education and/or believe that education is a liberal plot to control our minds. Your best bet would be a horse property in one of the areas that has been swept over by housing developments leaving pockets of homes on one acre. The new residents bring in new schools and support bond elections. There are several of these pockets in Goodyear and many others can be found in most of the other former rural towns around the area including the Surprise area.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I love Surprise myself. The schools are all new, or at least the schools that I have seen. We have a K-8 a block and a half from our home, that is being built now. The last count that I heard Surprise surpased the 100,000 mark, but then I also heard that 1 in 10 homes are in forclosure. A lot of people in the valley talk about a smog problem, but I have not seen one in the Surprise area. Then again I am from Southern California and can see smog south west of us looking into the LA basin. Their again it could be like the traffic issue in the valley, it is all in perspective to what you are used to. As far as the view, I love it in Surprise. The White Tank mountains are just west of the city. In our development in Surprise Farms the drive to the mountains is very close. Lots of places to hike around there. Not sure on horse properties in the area. I will say that much of the area west of the city and south of the city is rural and chances are you will find a nice place to live. Chances are like Ponderosa says you could find one near or even within the boundaries of the city.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 AM

20 posts, read 86,399 times
Hey Dazey! Go here - estrella.com or here lifeinestrella.com. especially with kids this might be great for you except for horse property which this doesn't have but hiking and other activities right outside your door,

Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
You can still build a custom home with acreage out in Surprise. Check out craigslist....I have seen postings for what you are looking for

Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
You might be able to find what you're looking for, not in the built up areas of Surprise within the loop 303, but beyond the 303 on US-60 heading out towards Wickenburg. There are a lot of large lot, semi rural properties for sale out there, with beautiful views. Just be prepared to shell out some pretty hefty cash...

Old 03-31-2008, 06:25 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrank3 View Post
I'm a fellow equestrian and my sister-in-law told me Surprise is VERY congested (we were looking there too). I also got some great advice from someone on this forum about Surprise and the reason for the low cost of homes so it's an area I personally would stay away from.
Interesting comment because I really like Surprise, and would definitely consider it if we were house hunting. Curious....what were you told that would keep you away from Surprise?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Good schools and rural living do not go hand in hand here as a rule. Many of these rural areas are poor or populated with people who do not value education and/or believe that education is a liberal plot to control our minds. Your best bet would be a horse property in one of the areas that has been swept over by housing developments leaving pockets of homes on one acre. The new residents bring in new schools and support bond elections. There are several of these pockets in Goodyear and many others can be found in most of the other former rural towns around the area including the Surprise area.
I agree with Ponderosa. Both Goodyear and Surprise have areas with land you're looking for. I also agree with vegaspilgrim about being prepared to shell out some hefty cash because land is not cheap here.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Forgot to add. Anyone who calls Surprise Congested has never been to a real city...LOL. Far from it...Even the traffic congestion is overrated by most
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area