Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,929,321 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating next year for grad school, and the east valley is one of my options (ASU).

I'm already familiar with the desert southwest (my family relocated to Vegas when I was a young teen), but I have some specific questions...

1. My big thing is congestion. Living in Vegas, I've had it pretty easy. We rarely have any traffic, except for the areas immediately around the strip. I've heard that the Phoenix is really bad though (a friend of mine said that it's supposed to get as bad as LA within the next decade ). Can anyone shed light on this? I can handle some traffic, but I'd rather shoot myself than deal with anything to the extent of CA highways. I probably won't be driving much during rush hour, though. If that makes a difference.

2. What are the differences in temperature? I've heard that Phoenix is 5-10 degrees warmer year round. And that it doesn't cool down as much at night. True?

3. What does the area have to offer for fun-loving people in their mid to late 20s? I like everything from nightlife, to outdoor recreation, to shopping, to trying new ethnic foods. What stands out in the valley, in terms of fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,959,250 times
1. You'll get different opinions on this depending on where people have lived previously. If you're from a small town, Phoenix is going to seem crazy with traffic. If you're coming from L.A. or Chicago, it will seem like a breeze.

Outside of rush hour (6:30 am - 9:00 am and 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm) it's not a problem at all. Trust me on that. I've heard people say there is traffic all day...and while there can be many cars on the road, the freeways still move along at 65 MPH. That to me says there is not much traffic...hell, even if it's moving at 50 MPH, which is under the limit, it's still not bad...just as long as it's not inching along at 5-10.

2. It's true that Phoenix is a little warmer, but again...110 vs 105, is it really that much of a different, it's hot as **** either way. I've been to Vegas many times during the summer and it "felt" as hot as here, I wouldn't say there is a noticeable difference during the day. At night there is more of a different and that you can feel. Unfortunately, 80 vs 75 is a big difference at night and Phoenix really doesn't seem to cool down at all in the summer, it just always feels hot outside, at least to me.

3. You can find all of the things you asked for in Phoenix...and being from Vegas, you know how it is with things sprawled out. As has been mentioned before, you just have to plan more in Phoenix than other big cities. In NYC, you might just be able to go out and stumble into something whereas here you kind of have to plan it out, but you will find anything from theatre to clubs to ethnic foods.

Last edited by HX_Guy; 03-21-2008 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-21-2008, 03:07 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,180,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

Outside of rush hour (6:30 am - 9:00 am and 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm) it's not a problem at all. Trust me on that. I've heard people say there is traffic all day...and while there can be many cars on the road, the freeways still move along at 65 MPH. That to me says there is not much traffic...hell, even if it's moving at 50 MPH, which is under the limit, it's still not bad...just as long as it's not inching along at 5-10.
There are definite exceptions on this. Take for instance the I-17 northbound at 1130am today. It was at a standstill. Also, various parts of the valley do get congested at odd times of the day. It all depends on where you are. Many surface streets fill up and are congested as well. There's a lot of cars here.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:35 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,959,250 times
Yes but there was an accident around I-17 and the 101 today around noon, I heard it on the radio.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,929,321 times
Okay, so there is traffic, but it's not getting as bad as CA, right?

Old 03-21-2008, 05:51 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,615,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Okay, so there is traffic, but it's not getting as bad as CA, right?
Correct. However, when it is open in California the flow moves fast, 75-90 MPH. People drive much slower here...

Old 03-23-2008, 04:26 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,530,830 times
I have spent a lot of time working in Vegas (almost every month for 8 years) and I really do not think that you will find the traffic here any worse than the freeways there. There are just more freeways here.
The weather is a little warmer here most noticable in the winter where the difference will average 8 to 15 degrees. The winter nights are about 15-18 degrees warmer. The difference in the summer is not as noticable.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:13 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,295,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Correct. However, when it is open in California the flow moves fast, 75-90 MPH. People drive much slower here...
Probably because they're leary of the photo radar cameras that will cite you if you're doing 76 MPH in a 65 zone. Driving 75 or 80 MPH is perfectly safe under good road & weather conditions, even on some of the Valley freeways during less congested times.

Speed limits don't attribute to safe driving. In fact, it is the slower drivers who chug along in the left lanes that are the dangerous ones because they hold up the flow, cause other drivers to swerve around them, pass them on the right, and become aggressive. Slowpokes who insist on remaining in the left lanes are also BREAKING THE LAW! It is the law that slower drivers must keep to the right lane. Left lanes are for faster traffic and for passing. The problem is that this law is not enforced like it should be.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,566 times
Default photo ticket cameras

There's an 80% chance I will move to Phoenix area in June. I've gotten speeding tix in 7 states so far and these photo cameras have caught my attention. Can someone elaborate?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,333,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
1. My big thing is congestion. Living in Vegas, I've had it pretty easy. We rarely have any traffic, except for the areas immediately around the strip. I've heard that the Phoenix is really bad though (a friend of mine said that it's supposed to get as bad as LA within the next decade ). Can anyone shed light on this? I can handle some traffic, but I'd rather shoot myself than deal with anything to the extent of CA highways. I probably won't be driving much during rush hour, though. If that makes a difference.
Nothing to worry about then! There are certain bottleneck spots on the freeways that always get backed up, and certain high traffic roads that can get gridlocked at different times (unfortunately, Rural Rd/ Scottsdale Rd is one of them), but it's nothing to worry about. Phoenix is not even in the same ballpark as LA traffic. During non-rush hour(s) traffic is even an issue to worry about.

Quote:
What are the differences in temperature? I've heard that Phoenix is 5-10 degrees warmer year round. And that it doesn't cool down as much at night. True?
True. If you're from Vegas, you're already used to heat, so it won't be hard to adjust, but you will notice it a bit hotter. And more humid during the monsoon season. Oh well. The positive side is the desert surrounding Phoenix is greener and more interesting, IMO, than the Mohave desert.

Quote:
3. What does the area have to offer for fun-loving people in their mid to late 20s? I like everything from nightlife, to outdoor recreation, to shopping, to trying new ethnic foods. What stands out in the valley, in terms of fun?
Scottsdale. Scottsdale. Scottsdale. Anything within the Tempe-Scottsdale corridor would be what you're looking for. Outdoor recreation you'll have to drive all over for, but you've got nightlife (Old Town Scottsdale, and Mill Ave, if you hold your nose), shopping (Scottsdale Fashion Square-- check!), and ethnic food (pick any old strip mall in Tempe, south Scottsdale, west Mesa, or east-central Phoenix and you've got that covered) in the area. Just keep in mind, don't even attempt to compare Phoenix's night life to Vegas. For a mid-sized "normal" American city, the entertainment Phoenix (actually Scottsdale) has to offer is pretty decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area