Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times

Advertisements

I got this DM and thought it would be worth sharing this info with all searchers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAME REMOVED
I saw your post from quite a while back about living in Maricopa. I am thinking about moving to Maricopa. What is the town like now? I have two school age children, how are the schools?
Any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have any children, so i don't feel i am qualified to answer your question about the schools.

As far as the town itself, i love it here. It is far enough from phoenix that all the crime and other "big city" issues do not spill into here. The town is very quiet, you can see the stars at night and every convenience you can imagine is only a 20 minute drive to the big city. The drive is across and Indian reservation, so there will never be any sort of other cities sprouting up between maricopa and phoenix.

The housing prices here are extremely reasonable, and the maricopa is known for being able to get more house for less money. The lots are traditionally bigger than the in city developments.

There isn't a lot of employment opportunities in maricopa though, but there is a lot of growth planned. If you work in phoenix look for a 30-45 minute commute in the morning, and the ride home is usually a little less, depending on when you get out.

The downsides:
if you plan to spend time in phoenix i would not live south of the rail road tracks, it adds a ton of time to your commute.

Also, there is a big dairy farm near the tracks. Sometimes you get a whiff of "dairy air". It used to bother me, but after a year i don't even notice any more.

There are 2 grocery stores, both are a little more expensive than in phoenix. The more expensive one never has lines and the cheaper of the 2 has a long wait to check out. Personally i do my shopping in chandler after work to save a little.

the restaurants are limited in menu, most are local pub type of place. They all have good food. there are your usual suspects for fast food here, except mcd's

there is a lot of commercial construction happening. Work has started on a few professional plazas, and a few run of the mill strip malls. Planned are a super walmart, home depot, a gym, McDonald's and a few others.

the city's site is City of Maricopa.

Any other questions just ask. Hopefully some of residents of Copa will post up too.

Vinny

Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,944 times
Default Also looking to buy in Maricopa or queen creek

Hi your information you posted awhile back was great! My husband and I have three children and are thinking of moving to Maricopa, was wondering if you had any more info now or if you are still living there?
Thank you!!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 AM

70 posts, read 433,025 times
I was talking to a geologist acquaintance and he was telling me that the City of Maricopa was just about to have very serious water shortages. As in - needing water trucked in. Conversely, here in Casa Grande (13 miles away) we have wonderful schools and nice parks and activities for kids, and a little known fact... Casa Grande is located right above an aquifer. Nasty tasting water, but water all the same.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatoaz View Post
Hi your information you posted awhile back was great! My husband and I have three children and are thinking of moving to Maricopa, was wondering if you had any more info now or if you are still living there?
Thank you!!
Others may have input, but you are commenting on a three year old post.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,239 times
Quote:
Thank you!!
There is a McDonald's now, a Walmart, gyms, but no Home Depot.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:19 AM

29 posts, read 55,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybookroom View Post
I was talking to a geologist acquaintance and he was telling me that the City of Maricopa was just about to have very serious water shortages. As in - needing water trucked in. Conversely, here in Casa Grande (13 miles away) we have wonderful schools and nice parks and activities for kids, and a little known fact... Casa Grande is located right above an aquifer. Nasty tasting water, but water all the same.
That's interesting. According to the Pinal County Comprehensive Plan in the past, listed under groundwater, the two largest sub-basins have been listed as the Maricopa-Stanfield sub-basin and the Eloy sub-basin. Both had actually seen increases due to more CAP use and less irrigation. I'm not a geologist, but I question 'just about to have'.

Groundwater - Pinal AMA

Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 AM

70 posts, read 433,025 times
Smile Well it depends on where you get your water from

Of course what I "heard" from my geologist friend could be wrong. However, he explained it to me this way: Maricopa uses water from another source, not from it's own groundwater. Now this needs to be researched because it did sound strange to me, but hey, governments are wacky sometimes. However Arsenic IS found in a lot of the ground wells in Maricopa (my brother in law has a well and lives in Maricopa right outside of one of the subdivisions and he cannot drink the water due to arsenic, so that might explain why I was told Maricopa got it's city water from another source. It's all very confusing to me, and that's why I'm not stating as a fact but as something I heard. Facts need much more understanding than I have on this subject.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
Quote:
Thank you!!

Still here, still love it. Since my original post a lot has changed.

the largest feed lot has moved to Yuma, I haven't noticed the infamous cow smell in months.
Walmart, McD's, QT and a few other places have opened
Central Az college bought a large tract of land to build a campus on
Banner health is opening a large primary care facility
Holiday inn express is in the planning phase
Construction for the LA fitness was a rumor, fresh and easy fell through.
Home Depot is still planned, but no hard construction date has been set.
home sales are increasing: News Article Details

The rest of my post still holds true.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM

34 posts, read 89,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybookroom View Post
Nice plug for Casa Grande... Regardless of what I think about the City of Maricopa, it is not in danger of running out of water. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area