Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,632,368 times

Advertisements

I don't have cable or a TV. The few shows I watch are on CBS and The CW. I just go to the website on my laptop (or desktop depending) and watch over the internet. It's free with minimal commericals. I'm also able to get iive streaming during major events (i.e., presidential debates), also free. Picture resolution on the Mac is as good or better as any TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,173,162 times
There is no question that Internet with a good bandwidth plan can be competitive with HDTV depending on how much compression is applied. IMHO

Old 01-19-2017, 10:07 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,323,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Roku isn't the same thing as Sling. Roku is just an app place to allow you access to HBOGo, Hulu, Sling and the rest. I've had my Roku for 4 years now and use Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Netflix, Starz, and rarely Showtime. The movie channels I use for about 3 months at a time since they don't rotate often enough to justify keeping it long term. I don't like Hulu and Netflix but they have decent kids programming and Amazon Prime for that too. I spend about $30 a month but if it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't have any of that.

Fox has a free app on Roku and so do a few other network channels like PBS and CW. I'm not a big TV watcher though so my experience will be different than yours most likely; it's 5 pm and my TV hasn't been on yet today.
I use the FOX app on my phone and cast to my TV via ChromeCast. That works pretty well. I also watch a lot of You Tube stuff that way. It's amazing the full length movies, comedy specials, and whatnot you can find on You Tube.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:09 AM

223 posts, read 597,277 times
I tried cutting the cord briefly (Cox), but my g/f could not stand the alternative. While I think she was being a bit unreasonable, I have to admit that if you like a certain set of 'shows' (Elementary, NCIS, PBS Sherlock, etc etc) then it's really hit or miss as to whether the alternatives carry that show. Netflix may have a deal with ABC but not CBS (or whatever); Netflix may carry last year's season but not this year's. You may need to download the dedicated channel app for some shows (the CBS app, or the NBC app, or whatever). So you end up having to assemble an array of 'apps' and then remember that for 'show x', you have to run 'app y'. If you just went to sit down and 'surf', this can be a bit of a challenge. On the other hand, once you get used to it, I love the way Netflix present an entire season in a way that allows you to just play the entire season in one go.

We ended up re-subscribing to Cox despite finding them way overpriced ...

Old 01-19-2017, 01:54 PM

Unfortunately for me Fox News Channel has no app that doesn't require authentication by logging in with your cable or satellite username/password. It works great right now with my Time Warner account (except it drains my iPad battery quickly). Also, only works if the Internet is via Time Warner. Won't work on cellular.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM

77 posts, read 112,915 times
Project Free TV - Watch all your favorite tv shows free

Good quality and stuff is available pretty timely. Streaming

https://thepiratebay.org/

Torrent site. Not streaming. You download the file. Stuff is available there very quickly. For example, GoT sometimes hours (or sooner) after airing.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:19 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,004,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Does anyone have an HD antenna that can pick up NBC? I have two standard HD antennas. One is RCA the other I don't recall. I can't pick up NBC on either. Drove me nuts during the football season.
I get NBC just fine on 12-1.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 PM

This should explain a lot: Phoenix, AZ - TV Channels and Antenna Map.

Most of the TV station transmitters are evidently located on Mount Suppoa (South Mountain, TV Tower Peak), highest point in the mountains at 2690 ft.

However NBC is located in Mesa (and KPPX is located in Tolleson). You can of course see "TV Tower Peak" from most of Phoenix. My area of most familiarity is Mesa and I can't even remember seeing any tall mountains besides the Apache mountains in the distant east.

So your problem with NBC may be due to your antenna being pointed in the wrong direction.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:42 PM

164 posts, read 184,694 times
I think P.Benjamin had it right with the 8, 10 and 12 channels being VHF Hi. Those are the hardest to recieve. In my case it's channels 12.1 and 12.3 that're the worst (about half the time). I have a Mohu leaf antenna for each TV. I think I am going to call Mr. Antenna to see about installation of a rooftop antenna. I guess I can live without NBC. There are enough news models on the other channels and the 12.3 retro channel is all rerun crime stuff. I get Seinfeld and Martha Stewart perfectly with the leaf antenna. I have the 300+ MBS Cox internet so I can stream Netflix and Amazon with ease. Each of my TV"s are connected to computers with HDMI connections. Any time I have strayed and signed up for cable or satellite I have found them to be loaded with shopping channels, religious channels and foreign language channels.

Mr. Antenna / Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,060,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The catch with these services is that $20 price you are quoted applies to only one device/TV. You can't Slingtv to multiple tv's in your home for only $20. Playsation Vue, Directv all have that catch. So it's not like you are really paying $20 per month unless you have one TV in the home and most don't. That is something they don't tell you.

Also, most people pay more than $20 for Sling. When you look at the packages that are most closely related to cable, you are realistically looking at $50 per month for one TV. This doesn't include a DVR service. That is separate.

I think the best way is to cancel your Cox TV for a month or two and then call back and re-establish service. They will give you a better deal.
^^^ except due to contracts, you can't just simply cancel without big penalty. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area