Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:25 AM

656 posts, read 814,130 times

Advertisements

I have lived on or off this road for 12 years. I think this is a good idea.

Big changes proposed for Missouri Avenue in Phoenix - azfamily.com 3TV | Phoenix Breaking News, Weather, Sport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,146 times
Interesting. I always liked Missouri Avenue in that north-central area ... a lot of nice homes in through there. I do think area residents use it as one option for a through-way, just as they do with other half-mile streets. Turning it into a two-lane road probably would push more cars onto Bethany and Camelback, certainly. Traffic in north-central is bad already and will only get worse as more and more people and developments infill the area.

The real question might be, why this unnecessary project in a nice neighborhood in an already-nice, expensive part of town? Surely there are more pressing needs in the City of Phoenix. Maybe it's trickle-down development..."if we make the nicer areas even more nice, then eventually the rising tide will lift all boats." I don't necessarily disagree for adjacent areas, we've already seen that with numerous neighborhoods that are downtown- and Central Ave-adjacent, however, it's a far bridge from there to some of the more far-flung impoverished areas of Phoenix.

I think maybe if the city spent more money on code enforcement, that would help life all boats immediately, to continue the metaphor. Try to keep the entire city clean, rather than just focusing on the "nice" areas.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:49 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,067,197 times
squeaky wheel gets the grease?

Old 10-11-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Interesting. I always liked Missouri Avenue in that north-central area ... a lot of nice homes in through there. I do think area residents use it as one option for a through-way, just as they do with other half-mile streets. Turning it into a two-lane road probably would push more cars onto Bethany and Camelback, certainly. Traffic in north-central is bad already and will only get worse as more and more people and developments infill the area.

The real question might be, why this unnecessary project in a nice neighborhood in an already-nice, expensive part of town? Surely there are more pressing needs in the City of Phoenix. Maybe it's trickle-down development..."if we make the nicer areas even more nice, then eventually the rising tide will lift all boats." I don't necessarily disagree for adjacent areas, we've already seen that with numerous neighborhoods that are downtown- and Central Ave-adjacent, however, it's a far bridge from there to some of the more far-flung impoverished areas of Phoenix.

I think maybe if the city spent more money on code enforcement, that would help life all boats immediately, to continue the metaphor. Try to keep the entire city clean, rather than just focusing on the "nice" areas.

Thanks for your comments.

It has not been safe to ride a bike on Missouri Avenue for 12 years. The speed limit is rarely observed, and I have never seen a cop pulling over anyone for speeding. Not nice.

I would be interested to hear from neighbors about this issue.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
This is like when Tempe reduced Mill from 4 lanes to 2. It made rush hour worse in the north Tempe area. And as I now live off Maryland and 19th Ave, this hits close to home for me. I am not in favor of this

Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 PM

61 posts, read 46,020 times
Streets aren't just for cars.... Mill would be an empty **** show if it was more lanes

Old 10-11-2016, 02:25 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
Streets aren't just for cars.... Mill would be an empty **** show if it was more lanes
They narrowed it to add on-street parking and a more neo-traditional street scene, not for pedestrians or bikes.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:10 PM

416 posts, read 588,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
They narrowed it to add on-street parking and a more neo-traditional street scene, not for pedestrians or bikes.
And turned downtown into a monster cluster. Great experiment, didn't work out as planned.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:36 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
And turned downtown into a monster cluster. Great experiment, didn't work out as planned.
I didn't like the plan when it was announced, but it works out fine IMO. There's plenty of alternative routes if you know the area (and it should be avoided unless you're actually going to a place on Mill). I've used the on street parking several times as well and it's nice.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I didn't like the plan when it was announced, but it works out fine IMO. There's plenty of alternative routes if you know the area (and it should be avoided unless you're actually going to a place on Mill). I've used the on street parking several times as well and it's nice.
Major roads should prioritize cars in their design, the minor roads should accomodate pedestrians and cyclists. It is pretty simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area