Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,624,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Fire just brought a 33 year old man off Piestewa Peak at 230 this afternoon. He went to the top, and on the way bafck didn't think he could make it all the way down. He had plenty of water, reportedly, but in this heat, HELLO, people... that is not enough. Why is ANYONE doing mountain hikes in this weather???
Who knows. So they can brag to their friends they did it? So very sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 05:02 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,158,932 times
Might be rare pokemons at the top.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,330,043 times
Quote:
Fire just brought a 33 year old man off Piestewa Peak at 230 this afternoon. He went to the top, and on the way bafck didn't think he could make it all the way down. He had plenty of water, reportedly, but in this heat, HELLO, people... that is not enough. Why is ANYONE doing mountain hikes in this weather???
I used to do mid day Summer hikes in South Mountain all the time...when I was in college. But I was in good shape, and pounded more than enough fluids. I wouldn't recommend a kid or an adult that is not fit attempt to do this.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:28 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,652,601 times
Quote:
Makes no sense to me either.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:11 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,330,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Makes no sense to me either.
The problem is people either aren't in great condition or they aren't prepared for it. Look at all the High School football players age 13-18 that just started practicing and conditioning 2-3 hours a day in pads and helmets, that is MUCH harder work in the heat than hiking IMO. but they are prepared with fluids and hydrate well before even starting. Life shouldn't stop in the Summer but I think people need to educate themselves and bring an oversupply of water, not just "enough".

Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,144,705 times
What was the temperature? I was in SoCal this past week. I went into Inland Empire. It was over 100F, but it was dry. I just came back to NYC this morning, and I notice an extreme difference between dry heat, and humid heat.

In Dry heat, I was outside no problem. Okay sun will burn your skin, but just move into shade, and it really was not at all uncomfortable. When I come back to NYC, I notice my breathing becomes labored. It was easier to breath in Inland Empire's dry heat than NYC and it is only like high 80s.

Is AZ humid?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,889,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That puts the number at well over 100 people a year. Crazy. I know last year 64 people died at the hands of heat here in the low desert, which in and of itself is a already-ridiculous number.
And I doubt that number accounts for all of the illegal aliens that die of heat related illness while crossing the border.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,889,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What was the temperature? I was in SoCal this past week. I went into Inland Empire. It was over 100F, but it was dry. I just came back to NYC this morning, and I notice an extreme difference between dry heat, and humid heat.

In Dry heat, I was outside no problem. Okay sun will burn your skin, but just move into shade, and it really was not at all uncomfortable. When I come back to NYC, I notice my breathing becomes labored. It was easier to breath in Inland Empire's dry heat than NYC and it is only like high 80s.

Is AZ humid?
Hotter temperatures are still harder on your body, regardless of humidity levels. So although 110F with low humidity will feel more comfortable then 95F with high humidity, the higher temperatures cause your body to lose water quicker and are much more dangerous.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:22 AM

2,796 posts, read 7,511,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Is AZ humid?
No, it's quite dry. What heat index ignores, however, is the effect of direct, overhead sunlight on the body. Heat indexes are calculated based on an assumption of shade. While the dry air may make 110 degrees feel closer to 100, the blazing sun can then make it feel like 115. Strenuous exercise in the absence of shade, which is exactly what is involved when hiking desert trails in the mid-afternoon, is dangerous in the summer, no matter how dry the air is. The same trail that is reasonably comfortable at 5 or 6 AM this time of year can become hazardous as the sun rises higher in the sky. For a good sense of the combined effect of temperature, humidity, cloud cover, and wind, I often consult Accuweather's "Real Feel" index. At noon today, that index is expected to be 112 degrees, even though the actual air temperature may be five or more degrees lower.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,017,163 times
Quote:
Downhill is the easy part. You use like 1/4 of the water, as gravity does most of the work for you. Piestewa is pretty tough on the ascent, Ill admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area