Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,274,641 times

Advertisements

the Litchfield Elementary School District rates very high and I know they are opening a new school next year

not sure what grade levels you are looking for though

honestly, i'm not super impressed by the educational system out here - although for employment most will be OK places to work

with the growth we've had it's relatively easy to find a job and a lot of midwestern people move down to teach because of this

also keep in mind what was posted above about the english only requirements in schools - some have special programs for ESL where they do allow some spanish instruction - however, most students aren't eligible for this

it would be useful in speaking with parents, monitoring the classroom, etc if you are in a population that speaks mainly spanish .......... but then again you said you are looking for good schools so you probably wouldn't want to be looking at these
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM

6,741 posts, read 5,991,943 times
Tangential to the OP's question, I was wondering how much does it limit someone's employment prospects to apply only to "good" schools? Wouldn't those be the most competitive jobs?

My wife is an ESL teacher who may end up teaching in the secondary school system once our child is in school, and she has always preferred to work with immigrants. She finds the work to be more culturally interesting and challenging, and feels that it helps to make the world a better place. So maybe for her, it will be easier to find work.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM

definitely easier to get a job and it will pay a little more - just a lot more stressful - districts such as the glendale ESD are pretty unorganized and the limited money they have in their budget is to lure & retain teachers and setup programs to deal with the needs of the school

resources tend to be very poor and it takes a strong personality to make it

Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 PM

31 posts, read 117,617 times
Go to Scottsale school district. Someone correct me if I am wrong....but I believe that Scottsdale school district is the only one in the valley where the teachers are unionized. That is a big plus!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 PM

you are wrong

Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,646 times
Red face Be weary of Madison!

I moved cross country to accept a Self-Contained elementary school position at what seemed like a great elementary school on the surface... Boy was I wrong! Some of the teachers (and assistants), along with administration at this certain elementary school are very controlling and if you don't do things the way they like them done, you will be treated as the black sheep. They preach "professionalism" and "respect" to the students, yet they don't make a habit of treating their staff the same. What is good for one teacher/staff member is not okay for another.

(Now I am not saying that all schools in Madison are evil. I am aware that all the schools in this district do not have the mentioned issues. I am also aware that other districts have their own issues.)

I have turned in my resignation and am not certain what school district to check out this point or move back to the east coast? I live at Tatum and 101, in the NE Phoenix area. I say this because there are closer districts and it's my understanding that the Cave Creek District, as well as Paradise Valley are decent. These are located in a family and young professional community with plenty to do. These districts might be worth checking out.

Good luck to you on your search...

Old 02-09-2010, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,672 times
Default Good school district

We are moving from Chicago to Scottsdale (but are willing to consider other areas) in July 2010. We are looking for a good school disctits that not only excels in education but has a good athletic program (and extra cirricular activites)....my son will begin 4th grade and my daughter 2nd grade. My son is very good at baseball and football and we are looking for an area where he will be able to play these sports. My daughter is really into ice skating and gymnastics. If anyone has any information, good or bad, I would really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area