Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 7,366 times

Advertisements

We currently reside in Seattle and are considering a relocation for a job that would be located in west Phoenix near Tolleson. We have family in the Queen Creek area and really like the housing and school situation there. Queen Creek to the Tolleson area is about 50 miles. Would that commute be brutal? We are also considering the Gilbert/Chandler area as a nice in-between location. I am not familiar with Phoenix traffic but can see from the forum that I10 can be rough. Any insight would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:11 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpatico2011 View Post
Would that commute be brutal? We are also considering the Gilbert/Chandler area as a nice in-between location. I am not familiar with Phoenix traffic but can see from the forum that I10 can be rough. Any insight would be great.

Thanks!
Yes, it would be brutal. A commute from Gilbert or Chandler would be only slightly less so. Anything that requires you to pass through Downtown during rush hour on the way from one side of the metro area is a potential problem. If you're going to work on the west side, it's probably best to live on the west side or at least in a central area that would enable a reverse commute.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:53 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,451 times
I wouldn't do it, but if it means a lot to you, there is an alternative. As of now, I believe you can take small highways/streets south of Phoenix (in part through the Gila River Reservation) and loop up through Komatke and into the West Valley. I'm not sure if that's faster or not, or if weather gets bad (like around monsoon season) if those roads are reliable. If this is going to be long-term, the 202 will eventually make that route much faster, though keep in mind it will be a few years until that's finished so you'd have to put up with the commute until then. I included the link below. You may want to research other areas that are in your budget and have decent schools, but that will put you much closer to work. I live in East Phoenix (Camelback East) and work downtown. Without traffic I can get there in less than 10 minutes, but it typically takes me close to 20 because of congestion. Rain, holidays, events, etc. can make that even longer. You would have to go with traffic to that same area, then keep going west.

Overview

Old 05-26-2015, 03:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
You will get very tired of that commute. Going down through the reservation roads is not a viable regular option, and I'm not sure it's shorter. It's going to be more than "a few" years before the 202 freeway loop is completed, so don't plan on that to relieve your commute all that soon. I would find something closer to work, (no further than west Chandler near the I-10 and the existing 202 which would take you out to Queen Creek to see your family.)

Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 PM

386 posts, read 327,078 times
Queen Creek? It is far from everything and the Mesa-Gateway Airport flight path is over that area. Let your family visit you.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:18 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,043 times
I wouldn't do it even if I got to live rent free.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
West Phoenix near Tolleson is nowhere near Central Phoenix.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
West Phoenix near Tolleson is nowhere near Central Phoenix.
The OP said the work site was west Phoenix. No mention of central Phoenix. You may be thinking of another thread posted by someone else.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:17 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The OP said the work site was west Phoenix. No mention of central Phoenix. You may be thinking of another thread posted by someone else.
Read the thread's title.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Read the thread's title.

You know, I just noticed that. Sorry. The other thread has the central is really west problem too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area