Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 08:26 AM

153 posts, read 526,134 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My brother-in-law, his wife, and their 2 year old daughter are moving from San Francisco to an exurb outside of PHX in a few months, and I drew my brother in law for our christmas gift exchange. I was thinking about an AZ gift package of necessities and/or local events (dining, shows, etc)

Other than gag gifts related to too much sun, I was wondering if recent transplants have any suggestions for something they simply couldnt live without (and were surprised to learn they couldnt)?

Alternatively, great places to take a 2 year old I could get them tickets for?

or anything, really.

Cheers and thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM

51 posts, read 159,426 times
i'm assuming they are buying a house.

find out immediately, the number of a good, HONEST, air conditioning repair man. ask around.

although i do not subscribe now, the az republic is the local paper. i'd get a subscription if i were new to the area.

Quote:
Alternatively, great places to take a 2 year old I could get them tickets for?
i think the phoenix zoo is great for kids.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 AM

88 posts, read 482,727 times
How about one of those sun blocking screens you place inside the windshield to block the sun while the car is sitting in the sun? My son loves his.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:39 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
Window tinting gift certificate?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:13 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,965 times
I think a subscription to Phoenix magazine would be great. Every month they have a comprehensive list of goings on in the area, as well as a great list of restaurants, museums, kid's activities, etc. Additionally, they do their annual Best Docs, Best Dentists, vacations, etc. issues, which can be very useful to new residents. I had a subscription our first 2 yrs here and was extremely happy to have it.

As to activities - depends on where in the valley they're moving.

Also, depending on what your budget is, I think one of those Magellan-type satellite direction/map things would be great. I think Costco has them for like $200 or something like that. If that's too much, maybe a good map of the valley for their car.

And I bet they'd really, really appreciate a coupon from you for babysitting their kiddo while they unpack and maybe go out by themselves for an evening or two

Old 12-15-2007, 09:29 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
If you know generally which exurb, let folks here know the location--->gift certificate for an evening out for dinner while they are unpacking. Or to one of the many spas or golf courses to relax afterward. ;-)

Flip flops for the entire family....

Old 12-17-2007, 12:16 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Perhaps an Entertainment book? It is a coupon book filled with two for one dinner and ticket offers. (That way they could see what is around, check out various restaurants and go to places they did not realize were nearby.) There are also coupons in there for some retail stores and services. The coupons in the book are usually good for one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area