Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Would like to know what the closest place to rent a personal water craft, like a jet ski. I know that you can rent them in Lauphlin, Nevada. Is there a place that you can drive to in a reasonable amount of time and rent them? Also what is the closest lake area or river area that you can play on? I am not against buying one if I knew I could use is often. I have heard rumors that people claim that Arizona has more boats per capita than any other state. Where do they use them at other than on the Colorado River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:09 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Would like to know what the closest place to rent a personal water craft, like a jet ski. I know that you can rent them in Lauphlin, Nevada. Is there a place that you can drive to in a reasonable amount of time and rent them? Also what is the closest lake area or river area that you can play on? I am not against buying one if I knew I could use is often. I have heard rumors that people claim that Arizona has more boats per capita than any other state. Where do they use them at other than on the Colorado River.
If you are moving to Surprise you are about 1/2 hour from Lake Pleasant - 10000 acres of water recreation, surrounded by 25000 acres of county park surrounded by thousands of square miles of public land. There are numerous places to rent a jet ski nearby. You'll need both a jet ski and a quad.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
You can rent them at any of the urban lakes -

Lake Pleasant on the north

Saguaro and Barlett NE

Then there are the Canyon Lakes, - Apache, Canyon and Roosevelt Lakes

Head to the Colorado River and rent them there

Far north, there is Lake Powell

A few hours south of the Valley is Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Mexico -

You will not be water challenged in any way

Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM

89 posts, read 326,665 times
If and when you rent, make sure you know the rules of the lakes. There are tons of cops out there and they'll watch you like flys on krap. The slightest mistake and you're pulled over. I had a jet-ski years ago and sold it two years later mainly cause the lakes are too small here with too many people, and the cops were just a PITA.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
If and when you rent, make sure you know the rules of the lakes. There are tons of cops out there and they'll watch you like flys on krap. The slightest mistake and you're pulled over. I had a jet-ski years ago and sold it two years later mainly cause the lakes are too small here with too many people, and the cops were just a PITA.
Gee, I observe so many enjoying themselves on their jet skis every time I'm out on the lake -

I agree with you though -it is important to know the rules of the lake - it is primarily for yours, and everyone elses safety

Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Thank's everyone. Growing up on the coast I am just used to being around the water. In my trips to AZ, I haven't seen anything other than the Colorado. I do like the Lake Powell area, that Water is like glass it is so smooth. I agree it is so important to follow the rules of the waterway. I know in the Lauphlin area you can get nailed by 3 different state's agencies depending where you are on the lake. Arizona, Nevada and California are involved because of the proximity to those states. I don't drink, but then many do, and that is always fun to navigate around people that may be intoxicated. have nothing against having fun on the water, just against driving while intoxicated. I do have a problem with not being able to go fast though. I know the rules are there to protect us, just want to have fun at the same time, and stay alive.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 12-06-2007 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Bad grammar

Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Thank's everyone. Growing up on the coast I am just used to being around the water. In my trips to AZ, I haven't seen anything other than the Colorado. I do like the Lake Powell area, that Water is like glass it is so smooth. I agree it is so important to follow the rules of the waterway. I know in the Lauphlin area you can get nailed by 3 different state's agencies depending where you are on the lake. Arizona, Nevada and California are involved because of the proximity to those states. I don't drink, but then many do, and that is always fun to navigate around people that may be intoxicated. have nothing against having fun on the water, just against driving while intoxicated. I do have a problem with not being able to go fast though. I know the rules are there to protect us, just want to have fun at the same time, and stay alive.

Get used to getting excited when you see a fake lake and those nice waterfalls at the entrances of subdivisions. That's the extent of being around water besides going to the over crowed lakes.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Get used to getting excited when you see a fake lake and those nice waterfalls at the entrances of subdivisions. That's the extent of being around water besides going to the over crowed lakes.
Now, let's not be so negative!

There are actually a couple of communities that have private lakes that are specifically designed (and used) for water skiing!

Have you been to any of the lakes around the valley? You seem to imply they are "over crowded". I'm frankly a little dismayed by that statement

Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Now, let's not be so negative!

There are actually a couple of communities that have private lakes that are specifically designed (and used) for water skiing!

Have you been to any of the lakes around the valley? You seem to imply they are "over crowded". I'm frankly a little dismayed by that statement
Yeah, I think someone is being a little negative. The lakes (I mean Pleasant, Roosevelt, Alamo, Powell, Apache, etc not subdivision lakes) are less crowded here than in most other places I have fished or boated. You want crowded try Lake of the Ozarks on a Sunday! And we get to enjoy the lakes all year not just June-September.

Weekdays, they are all pretty much empty.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
Absolutely.

Hopefully this doesn't get too off topic, but...

I was a sailing & powerboat instructor for fifteen years back east (part time). I have over 10,000 hours of helm experience including all the time spent aboard during my youth. Sail and power vessels, generally under 42 feet. I had a close working relationship with our local law enforcement agencies and US Coast Guard station.

The bottom-line reason that police enforce personal watercraft like flies on ---- is because they are the most likely to be involved in an accident on the water. Period. Not high speed powerboats, not small sailboats, not windsurfers. The top accident spot belongs to personal watercraft.

They are not inherently dangerous, but are often operated by novices who have not taken any time to learn how to operate, or to learn the laws that specifically govern the use of such watercraft.

For that reason, police and other enforcement agencies are responding to statistics, in the hope of reducing them. If you have a personal watercraft, and you operate it within the law, and you have the correct safety equipment, and you don't drive like a moron, then you won't get cited for anything (but don't be surprised if you are stopped for a "courtesy inspection" anyway). If you drive like an imbecile, spinning circles next to other watercraft or boats, and basically make an $$$ of yourself, then yeah, you're going to get ticketed and hassled by the police. Unfortunately because of people who originally screwed up the statistics, even safe operators are putting up with the high enforcement of these vehicles. I've had lengthy discussions with law enforcement agencies about this specific problem in the past. The problem is merely safety.

The reason that I say all of this is because PWC are a ton of fun, and I like to see them enjoyed responsibly. It is totally possible to have a good time on them, without getting hassled. But they're like the waterborne version of a bright yellow sports car. They ar e known for having operators who don't know what they're doing, and being at high risk for accidents. So, avoid high-risk behavior, drive defensively, and enjoy yourself. Oh yeah, stay away from booze too, not a good idea on the water.

And one last thing, please never take your eyes off of any neighboring traffic. Many inland and novice operators do not have a good idea of how traffic laws function at sea, whether in a lake or ocean. Often there is a lot of drinking going on, especially on weekends or during peak vacation times. Always expect that a collision course, will result in a collision (i.e. assume the "other guy" doesn't have a clue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: