Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,994,443 times

Advertisements

A letter from MCC sat on my table for a week. This morning I finally opened it to find a warning that my personal information may have been compromised. I went out onto the net and found this article & video clip on AZ Central from 11/27. It alleges that MCC sat on the info for 6 months before notifying anyone of the situation. I missed the news completely and was not aware until I read the letter, dated December 11, this morning. Read any mail you may receive from MCC. I assumed it was junk and nearly threw it away. Also, click the link below for the report from The Arizona Republic & NBC 12.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...ta-breach.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times
I got that letter, too, and I never went to an MCC school (that I remember)....it seems to be more an ad for signing up for identity protection.....

Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,747,420 times
I also got the letter. Note that the Republic article says
Quote:
Students’ academic information also may have been exposed, but not their personal information.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:12 PM

39,083 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Got it too. I get three letters a year at least to the same effect from one firm or another. Our info is out there and routinely is compromised. What are you going to do about it? It is just life in the 21st century, though MCC should not have sat on it for 6 months before notifying people even though keeping mum about it would have saved a lot of money (gets back to what is one to do about it anyway).

Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 PM

200 posts, read 413,905 times
I got one and so did my son....he's 16 and we have never had an contact with MCC.
I found it funny in the letter it said " no credit card info was compromised ", only your name, address, social sec number , date of birth, and email.
With all that given out, a thief could pretty much obtain whatever he wants.
Not sure why we received the letters , kinda strange.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:45 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,696,560 times
the info might be a little less dangerous if the schools werent *retaining* your social security numbers - under current Az law, they need to *verify* your citizenship, but they dont need to *retain* that info. Its a bit of a hassle anyway, since the schools are all interconnected & allow you to bounce among them, but you need to prove citizenship at each of the "connected" schools you attend. I've had to submit that private info to four different schools so far.

the disadvantage of all the "prove you are here legally" stuff is that legal citizens end up with *all* of their important info stored on multiple (poorly maintained & insecure) government databases.

at some point there needs to be a public backlash to all of this information collection & retention - both by the government and by the ineffectively regulated private sector.

I was a little miffed when I saw that Kroll was the repository charged with "monitoring" the accuracy of my credit reports. A few years back, I was hired for a job, subject to a background check by Kroll. They told my future employer that I was a convicted sex offender based on a half-assed background check. I lost two weeks pay while they figured out that Kroll's records were incorrect. I basically had to prove that I was innocent, despite the fact that I carry a DPS level-one fingerprint card. Never got any sort of apology from Kroll for libeling my reputation & I wasnt able to sue because the employer wouldnt cough up the written (erronious) report that Kroll provided.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,831 times
It appears that this is a real incident but it also appears to be manufactured possibly by the company that offers the credit monitoring services. There are a few universities that had that same thing, Drew University, University of Hawaii, Kapiolani CC, Honolulu CC and Broome (MD) Community College and they are all served by IDintegrity.com. I'm sure there are more schools but those are the ones that came up with a quick search. The interesting thing is that the University of Hawaii got sued and subsequently paid for credit monitoring as part of the settlement. I wouldn't put it past these credit monitoring companies to employ hackers to access the information and create a breach and then have the university pay for the students whose data was compromised.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,070,628 times
I got that letter too. Have had nothing to do with MCC for several years, since I took a real estate course at a community college.
So not worried. BUT I am concerned about TARGET. That is something that might affect me (and 40 million others too).

Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM

768 posts, read 1,760,433 times
Everyone in my household received the "letter" from MCC.

As per my conversation with a representative from Kroll (the credit monitoring company hired by MCC) last Friday:

- 2.5 million records have been compromised
- Student records dating back 40 years are (1973) have been effected

Given the pathetic computer systems (especially student records and on-line registration) that MCC spends millions of dollars supporting - everyone in the IT Department should be fired.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Everyone in my household received the "letter" from MCC.

As per my conversation with a representative from Kroll (the credit monitoring company hired by MCC) last Friday:

- 2.5 million records have been compromised
- Student records dating back 40 years are (1973) have been effected

Given the pathetic computer systems (especially student records and on-line registration) that MCC spends millions of dollars supporting - everyone in the IT Department should be fired.
Given my own experiences with Kroll, I think I'm less scared with hackers having my personal info than I am with Kroll having it. I wouldn't trust those guys with a used diaper, much less my soc number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area