Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 PM

157 posts, read 356,979 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for pool tile cleaning in east valley? Just drained my pool and want to clean tile before refilling. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,235,313 times
I have bad news...you SHOULD NOT be draining your pool when it is this hot. You're going to ruin it, I would get water back in it ASAP.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,659,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I have bad news...you SHOULD NOT be draining your pool when it is this hot. You're going to ruin it.
Unless it's Pebble Tec.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Unless it's Pebble Tec.
That is not correct at all.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
That is not correct at all.
No? I was told by my pool company and several friends that also have Pebble Tec pools that it can be exposed to the heat/air. I guess I shouldn't take their word for it. I'll have to research this.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 PM

Here's a pool company that makes an exception to Pebble Tec when mentioning the need to drain only in the cooler months.

When Should You Drain & Clean Your Pool
Draining and sanitizing (acid wash or chlorine bath) your pool is usually a three day process, so it's best to do it at a time when you aren't planning on using your pool. Swimming pools should be drained in the off swimming season – not in the extremely hot weather of Arizona summers. Except for Pebbletec, most pools must be drained when the temperature is no higher than 80 degrees. This process should only be done by pool professionals. Without certain safeguards, draining your pool can cause serious damage to its structure. Pool Filter Maintenance | Desert Waters Pool Care AZ

Come to think of it, my pool has one edge where the pebble material extends above the water line and forms a curb of sorts where it backs to open area and not the pool deck. It seems to be in good shape despite being constantly exposed.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM

428 posts, read 5,885,569 times
Did you at least try using a pumice stone to clean your tiles? That is all tiles really need to look new.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Here's a pool company that makes an exception to Pebble Tec when mentioning the need to drain only in the cooler months.

When Should You Drain & Clean Your Pool
Draining and sanitizing (acid wash or chlorine bath) your pool is usually a three day process, so it's best to do it at a time when you aren't planning on using your pool. Swimming pools should be drained in the off swimming season – not in the extremely hot weather of Arizona summers. Except for Pebbletec, most pools must be drained when the temperature is no higher than 80 degrees. This process should only be done by pool professionals. Without certain safeguards, draining your pool can cause serious damage to its structure. Pool Filter Maintenance | Desert Waters Pool Care AZ

Come to think of it, my pool has one edge where the pebble material extends above the water line and forms a curb of sorts where it backs to open area and not the pool deck. It seems to be in good shape despite being constantly exposed.
The rolled bond beam pebbletec that is above the waterline isn't used to being submerged in water all the time so it handles the heat differently than the pool surface that is under the waterline.

My pool builder requires three days of 85 degrees or less before they will drain my pebbletec pool and work on it. My buddy tried to get the local pool repair shop to work on his pebbletec pool and they said it can't be drained until the weather is in the 80's. Pebbletec can handle more heat than other finishes for sure but you're still not supposed to drain it in the heat we've had over the last few days especially if it is going to be empty for more than a day.

Looking at the forecast for the next few days it is supposed to be cooler so maybe the OP will be alright.

I also use a pumice stone to clean the scale off my tile at the waterline. I don't even drain my pool to do it, I just hop in the pool with a large pumice stone and go to town on it.

Last edited by LBTRS; 10-08-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 12:36 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,073,730 times
Quote:
I also use a pumice stone to clean the scale off my tile at the waterline. I don't even drain my pool to do it, I just hop in the pool with a large pumice stone and go to town on it.

this is the way to do it....tried and true.....hanging out in the pool disguised as working around the house....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area