Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 PM

98 posts, read 297,757 times

Advertisements

please let me know which city you think is better.
also, are there any areas of chandler to steer clear of?
i know i want to pretty much avoid west of 7th ave (or around there) in ahwatukee because of the lack of anything, but are there bad areas of chandler? i'm not familiar with it.

thanx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM

51 posts, read 159,416 times
downtown chandler has been traditionally considered a work in progress, i think the rest is ok. i'd do ahwatukhee if possible, better schools, nicer shops in general -- just my opinion.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM

thanx, gophins. i do appreciate your opinion.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,012 times
Doesn't really make a difference but Ahwatukhee is part of Phoenix, not its own city. Anyways, Ahwatukhee has some great places to live, although some areas are pretty expensive. The nicer areas of Chandler are just as far away as the west side of Ahwatukhee but has a little better freeway access now with the 202.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 PM

thanks, uconn...i didn't think about the 202!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 AM

this morning news:
the authorities are looking for a rapist in chandler on dobson and ray that raped 5 girls...the elementary schools are on alert.

i guess i've made my decision.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynkpanther View Post
this morning news:
the authorities are looking for a rapist in chandler on dobson and ray that raped 5 girls...the elementary schools are on alert.

i guess i've made my decision.
Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens everywhere. They have been looking for a rapist for some time who has attacked small girls in the Gilbert area. Maybe this is the same guy.

In Val Vista Lakes, during the day time a child was attacked. So no matter where you are, you have to be on the alert. This can happen in Scottsdale, Gilbert, Phoenix, Ahwatukee. There are no boundry lines for rapists.

Bill

Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,012 times
Chandler has the lowest crime for cities over 100k in Arizona. Don't let one instance scare you....

Dobson/Ray area is a little older area. The south Chandler area is newer and has larger more expensive homes. You really can't go wrong in Chandler, you can find some decent deals in 1980's houses in the Alma School/Warner area and the Dobson/Ray area.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Chandler has the lowest crime for cities over 100k in Arizona. Don't let one instance scare you....

Dobson/Ray area is a little older area. The south Chandler area is newer and has larger more expensive homes. You really can't go wrong in Chandler, you can find some decent deals in 1980's houses in the Alma School/Warner area and the Dobson/Ray area.
They also got a new gang task force, which is a good thing.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,787 times
Depends on where you'll be commuting to and how much money you have to spend on a house. You'll get more for your money in most parts of Chandler and there are some VERY nice areas in Chandler. But the commute downtown would be shorter from most parts of 'Tuke then most parts of Chandler, though getting to the highway from way back in the foothills can take quite a long time.

Don't let the rapist thing scare you away from Chandler. There's crime in 'Tuke too and parts of 'Tuke are rather close to some not very nice areas, IMO.

Also, research the construction of the continuation of the 202 they'll be building through 'Tuke. That's going to impact the area a lot - some positives but also lots of negatives depending on where you'd be living.

Finally, I'd recommend doing a lot of driving around each area. I find them to be quite different, with 'Tuke feeling rather congested to me b/c everything is so close together. Chandler feels more open and the traffic isn't quite as bad, IMO. The Foothills are beautiful though and if you have 700K+ to spend on a decent sized house there, I imagine it'd be a very nice place to live. It's a matter of opinion though and there are positives and negatives to each area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area