Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 AM

50 posts, read 133,640 times

Advertisements

1-Phoenix-32nd street & Thomas
2-Sunnyslope-south of hospital
3-South Scottsdale-south of McDowell & Scottsdale road
(is this area about same as sunnyslope?)

4-Paradise-sweetwater and 24th St

I have narrowed down a search can someone who lives out there tell me what these areas are like?
I appreciate any info you may have about any of these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Where will you be working?

Are there children who need to be considered (i.e. school district)?

Buying or renting?

What are YOU'RE primary concerns or priorities? (What is "best" for one person is "worst" for another - it's a matter of perspective.)

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,169 times
1. 32nd street&Thomas is a pass
2. South of the hospital is doable and very nice in a lot of areas. It's not Sunnyslope though it's North Central Phoenix
3. South Scottsdale is doable and no nothing at all like Sunnyslope

Like the above person said more info is needed (i.e. budget, do you have kids or single, etc)

Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM

50 posts, read 133,640 times
Area with decent houses and less vacancies in them. Safe area and we have no children.
My friend works from home and we are thinking of coming out there and would like to narrow our search before.
We will be barely getting by for starters, so that is why I think south scottsdale might be nice since it is near tempe.
We are just trying to get by. We are not into the bar scene.
I have gotten that from others that Thomas is a pass. And thanks about North Central information.
Occasionally we may need to take a bus in south scottsdale.
We are trying to get out of the harsh cold snowy winters here.
1-So schools are not a concern we have no children
2-Safety is a concern with houses in area that are at least in ok condition but fewest vacancies
3-Renting

Would it be right to say south scottsdale is older homes and has been hit with the recession and they are trying to fix it up?
How would you say it differs from the sunnyslope area?

Last edited by freezintoes; 05-02-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Where are you working in relation to all those places? That fits into the equation as well. Parts of all those places are fine, the least appealing to me would be the 32nd and Thomas, area, but not by much, and there are perfectly okay neighborhoods in that area too.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,564 times
Phoenix neighborhoods can vary dramatically by a few blocks. What is your rent budget?

You have picked some interesting areas. When you say 32nd Street and Thomas, I think of Big Lots, El Super supermarket, Church's Chicken, a Wells Fargo ATM, Starbucks, a Frys supermarket with one door. It is predominately Hispanic, but that changes in less than a mile. So go a little bit north and the demographics shift. Lots of stores and restaurants within several miles of there.

Sunnyslope south of Dunlap. Again similar scenario. Spotty area but go west of Central or drift away by a mile or 2 and there are some decent places. Not as much shopping nearby.

South Scottsdale is fine. Rent may be a tab higher but cheaper than the rest of Scottsdale. 1960's one level homes. Close to downtown Scottsdale shopping and partying, and just north of Tempe. not really comparable toSunnyslope. The houses are just older but Scottsdale is not allowed to run down as much as other areas.

Cave Creek Rd area. (that is 24th street). Spotty, but again go a mile or 2 and that changes.

Where did you come up with these locations? You really just have to pick a rent budget, and then drive around and see the options available to you within that budget. Pick the best of the litter, and hope you can be approved and move there.

If your income is restricted for now, you may just have to look for a place in a working class area. Find the nicest place you can in an area. Just because an area is lower income or working class does not mean there are not some better kept rentals or modern apartments there. The rent may be lower because the income is lower in the area, but the place may be great inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area