Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM

50 posts, read 133,640 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me what the area at 36th and Thomas street is like?
Is this area safe during the day?
How does this area compare to the Christown area? on 19th avenue
I am looking at apartments in both of these areas.
Is one area better then the other? Or are they both to run from?
I'm a single woman and I just want warm weather in a decent safe area.

If anyone living there can tell me I would so much appreciate it.
I'm living in Michigan now and trying to relocate to a warmer area.
I have lived in Phoenix before for 5 years and I know it must of changed since 1990.
But how has it changed? I use to do a lot of walking in phoenix.
And I loved Phoenix at the time when I lived there that is why I have chosen to return.

I hear it has grown tremendously and I hear there is a lot of crime.
But are the areas I meantioned ok to live at?

Anyone familiar with Phoenix today with advice is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM

131 posts, read 345,009 times
I lived on 32nd inbetween Thomas and Indian School a number of years back and my in-laws worked on 36th and Thomas at a care home until about 6 months ago.. I do not like the area even though there are some nice pockets as you go further north. I did not feel safe being out at night in the apartment complex that I lived in and it definately seems like a poorer area.. Just my opinion and nothing more.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Yes, it's changed a lot in 23 years. There is not "a lot of crime" everywhere in the city; we get people here all the time talking about what they've heard about crime here. Property crime is more of an issue than crimes against people, but again, it's not as if the whole city is crime ridden.

Where you will be working matters a lot in terms of where to live. Commutes can be long. Of the two areas you mention, I'd choose the Chris-Town area, (east of the mall, not west) over the 36th St and Thomas area, but not by a lot. Both would be safe during the day. Why are you limiting yourself to those areas?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,169 times
Yeah Phoenix is definitely not the same place it was in the early 90s....heck Phoenix has changed a lot since the early 2000s. The city and metro area is massive and you won't even recognize the place in all seriousness. 36th st&Thomas is kind of eh...it's not dangerous but a lil run down in certain areas around there. It's centrally located though which is good for commuting. Like the above person said east of Chris Town is nicer than west and south. That area has a mix of everybody. The upper middle/middle/working class literally live and breathe side by side in that part of town. I catch the light rail there when I head to class and there are some interesting characters in that area let me tell you hahaha fun people watching fa sho. Again not dangerous(but still be aware of your surroundings just like any where)just a more diverse area and there are some decent apartments nearby.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 PM

I appreciate everyone's feedback. It's good to hear others opinions. You have confirmed that Phoenix has changed for sure.
I'm going to look at other areas. Thank you.

Last edited by freezintoes; 04-04-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,695 times
I live, literally, right across from Christown mall. There are some pocket areas of decent homes. It seems for me anyways, that we have high crime. My neighbors seem to always have bags over their broken car windows. I've been pretty lucky so far. My next door neighbor has had his house broken into several times in the last couple of years. So, I think its hit or miss. Move to a neighborhood that has less foreclosures or just abandoned homes. Seems these attract crime. The house at the end of our street has a break in almost every night. People looking for a place to sleep is my guess. However, the owner is trying to rent it out and has been renovating it for a while now and it keeps getting broken into and all his renovations keep getting stolen. Ac unit, fixtures etc etc. He started sleeping in his empty house until he can rent it out.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM

681 posts, read 1,561,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I live, literally, right across from Christown mall. There are some pocket areas of decent homes. It seems for me anyways, that we have high crime. My neighbors seem to always have bags over their broken car windows. I've been pretty lucky so far. My next door neighbor has had his house broken into several times in the last couple of years. So, I think its hit or miss. Move to a neighborhood that has less foreclosures or just abandoned homes. Seems these attract crime. The house at the end of our street has a break in almost every night. People looking for a place to sleep is my guess. However, the owner is trying to rent it out and has been renovating it for a while now and it keeps getting broken into and all his renovations keep getting stolen. Ac unit, fixtures etc etc. He started sleeping in his empty house until he can rent it out.
^^^^^ YIKES^^^^^

I hope that property owner has a large dog and a large gun to protect himself!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Well he does have a security system. Its not ADT, but something else. Unfortunately, if someone wants what you got, there's no stopping that person from forcefully taking what is yours, well besides a bullet. And bullets don't matter unless your home to use em. Most home invasions happen During the day when no one is home.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 AM

Yikes is right! Big dog or something for sure!
JaredC....Christown area was not like that years ago
thanks for present real time info there

Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezintoes View Post
Yikes is right! Big dog or something for sure!
JaredC....Christown area was not like that years ago
thanks for present real time info there
Yes I heard as much. My fiance has been living in the general area for almost 25 yrs and she remembers the changes Christown had going. It used to be a pretty nice mall. But these days not so much. I used to walk my dog around the walmart / christown area in the morning. Then one day I almost got mugged. But, see, I have a big dog and am usually armed to the teeth regardless what time of day it is. Noticed how I said " almost" got mugged. Some people think that dogs , like golden labs , are super friendly, and generally they are, but when I'm WALKING my dog, she doesn't like close encounters with other people, especially when I'm tense and about to get mugged. Haven't had a walk around Crhistown since, and its been a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: