Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 AM

9 posts, read 34,927 times

Advertisements

Aloha! I'm worriedMommy&wife, and I currently reside in Hawaii! But we are planning to move to AZ because of my fiance's promotion from work! His job is located on W. Basine Rd! I was wondering of any one could let me know if this area is safe? We also have a 5 year old son who will be starting kindergarden the next school year, so are there any good schools around this area that is safe? What is a safe and mellow area near W. Baseline Rd to live? Please help me out, I'm open to any suggestions! Thank you for your time!
Ahui Hou!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
West Baseline Rd stretches for miles and most of Baseline is fine rather your West or East of Central Ave. There's new housing and developments all up and down Baseline Rd and it's safe and you'll be ok shopping at the local stores in the area. Broadway&Southern are more hoodish in appearance but really isn't nothing to worry about. I mean Ibwould avoid a couple of the Circle K's in the area real late at night but other than that I never feel unsafe going to the local business in the area. I would suggest to look for a home in proximity to Baseline Rd though if you plan on living in South Phoenix. Laveen I would try to stay east of 51st Ave and west of 19th Abe btwn Southern&Baseline. South Phoenix I would stay East of Central Ave and west of 40th St between Baseline(or slightly north of Baseline not too far north though) and South Mountain. Hope I helped!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
O and the schools in South Phoenix and Laveen suck. Thats one of the downsides of the area. A good number of parents in South Phoenix send their kids to school either in the Kyrene School District which is in Ahwatukee(community behind south mountain) and Tempe(neighboring suburb) or Tempe Union High School District. A good number of high school aged kids in South Phoenix go to Mountain Pointe which has open enrollment just like the Kyrene School District(I believe...).

Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM

105 posts, read 446,227 times
Short answer NO. The southwest valley is not considered the most desirable area to live unless your a gang banger or homeless. Some places can be down right dangerous. The schools are some of the worst in the state. The east valley is the best for families, I would not live in the west valley if you paid me. I would look in Chandler, mesa, Gilbert Scottsdale and let your husband commute to work.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
There are a lot of threads on here about South Phoenix. People like myself who actually live there love it. People who do not currently live there do not like the area.

I do not have children but I have heard that the public schools in the area are lacking. However, there are a few charter/prep schools that have opened. I live right by this one which I believe is for K-8. Paideia Academies | Preschool and Elementary Charter School

I've lived in South Phoenix for over eight years and like I said I love the area. I also work here as well so the vast majority of my time is spent here. Feel free to direct message me any questions you may have.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I would not live in the west valley if you paid me.
Good.

To the OP: You'll hear that kind of thing a lot when talking about the west valley or south Phoenix. The truth of the matter is, yeah, there are rough areas - but your lives are not in danger and there are many, many nice, comfortable neighborhoods to call home.

As said earlier, Baseline Road stretches across the ENTIRE valley, so you need to be careful. As you mentioned West Baseline Road, I'm going to take that to mean the job will be in the southwest valley - in which case, consider Laveen. Laveen is centered around 51st Avenue and Baseline.

This area is still pretty agricultural - lots of young families, newer homes, decent access to downtown and points beyond.. Yes, if you go a few miles north of there it can get pretty rough. But you won't have anything to worry about day-to-day.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
South Phoenix is not a good area for the most part. For years, it was regarded as the worst section of Phoenix ... but other areas like Maryvale have taken that honor in more recent years. As far as Baseline Road, it depends on what part. Most anywhere around Central Avenue & Baseline will be a more ghettoish area, but the more east you go, the better it will become for the most part. Not too sure about west Baseline. Seems like that would be getting more into hit & miss areas.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
There are many new homes north of Broadway and west of about 67th Avenue that are just fine and would be an easy drive to West Basline. This area stretches all the way out past 99th Avenue into Avondale. There's more "brown" people than you will have in Gilbert, but the areas are safe with mostly young families. As for schools, the elementary schools are generally new and OK. We're talking Kindergarten here, after all. The best neighborhoods in the south west valley area are in Goodyear and Litchfield Park which are the equivalent of Chandler or Gilbert in terms of incomes, schools, demographics etc. You are probably talking about 30 minutes to west Baseline from there. Down the rung a bit is Avondale which has some nice developments near Van Buren and 115th Avenue west. One of my favorites is Coldwater Springs. Prices are reasonable and it looks to be a very nice development. Frpm there it would be maybe a 20 minute commute for your husband and there not be much traffic to deal with. There is plenty of shopping nearby in new stores and strip malls that have gone up in the past few years.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM

9 posts, read 34,927 times
To all that has replied to this post, from the bottoms of my heart THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time from your daily commute to help me out!! It means so much not to just myself but my small family as well! All this information sounds awesome! It will defenitly help me out when we're looking for a place to live!! SAFETY is the biggest issue to me & also my sons schooling! This is going to be a drastic change for me because this will be my first time branching away from Family! Not so much for my fiancé because he was a military baby and we all know how they move all the time! But for myself I'm going from sweet paradise HAWAII to desert ARIZONA!? lol so big change! But once again thank you so much for giving me the time of day!! It would help a lot of you would know specific apartment stuctrues that are really good and safe (: school names? lol if not THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!

ALOHA & MAHALO!!!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedMommy&wife View Post
It would help a lot of you would know specific apartment stuctrues that are really good and safe (: school names?
Can you give us cross streets of about where your husband will be commuting to for work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area