Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 PM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,163,103 times

Advertisements

I live in Anthem. Both of my sons attend a charter school (BASIS Peoria) which I think is academically unparalleled (not just in the metro, but nationally).

That being said, we've decided that a neighborhood public school is best for both our sons, so we're pulling them out of BASIS after this year.

Where are the very best (academically rigorous) Valley public schools (junior/high schools)? I'm not impressed with either Kyrene or Scottsdale (two districts that I believe are typically highly-regarded), and as much as we love Anthem, I'll happily relocate to be within the borders of the valley's best public (not private, not charter) neighborhood school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
The Chandler, Gilbert, and Higley districts are all high-performing academically and are rated an "A" by the Arizona Department of Education.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
That being said, we've decided that a neighborhood public school is best for both our sons, so we're pulling them out of BASIS after this year.
I will be making those same decisions as my kids get older, and I am curious to your reasons for making this decision if you don't mind my asking...

Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,089 times
I don't think that you can go by districts here, you have to go by individual schools. I know the high school by me has a lot of AP classes for underclassmen. If they pass those they take classes at the local CC as an upperclassmen. With the CC system that Maricopa Co. has I'm sure this is going on at most highschools.

Example: If your kid is smart he/she takes Freshman math/english/science as a 7th grader. By the time she is a Jr./Sr., there are no more math classes to take so they send her to community collage for half the day. As a bonus, a kid can graduate high school as a collage sophomore.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,163,103 times
El_Waiboi,

We live in the Anthem County Club and there aren't a whole lot of kids our sons' ages nearby--it's a lot of retirees and snowbirds unfortunately. BASIS is an excellent school. I could not be more impressed with their approach to academic/college prep excellence. That being said, our boys simply aren't developing the meaningful friendships with kids they're going to school with because we live so far away. Even if we moved closer to the school (which we'd do in a heartbeat if we felt like it'd make a difference), because of the nature of charter schools, there aren't likely to be kids living up/down the street from us that would attend the same charter. For that reason alone, we're looking to relo (may be out of state) to some place with an excellent local college prep middle/high public school. I can't recommend BASIS enough.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
I live in S. Chandler and I fully intend to have my kids go to Chandler Public Schools, which are very highly rated public schools, and they are open enrollment which helps if you prefer one school over another. If one of my sons should test into a gifted program, there are certain schools that may handle that better than others. Hamilton High is very very highly regarded for a public high school, and I don't think a kid that graduates from there with a high GPA is at a disadvantage to a kid that went to Brophy, for instance. Having said that, Chandler schools aren't rated as highly as Kyrene, which you didn't like, so perhaps your standards are much higher than mine. There's plenty of charter schools around here as well, but I intend to stick with Chandler schools.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,431 times
Deer Valley school district always rates very highly and it is even geographically close to you.... You may not have to move.
Certainly worth visiting a few of the schools in the district anyway.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Madison District.

Ask anyone who's been in the Valley for decades, Madison is known for being one of the best. My child attends in the district and my wife and I have been impressed. All the teachers we've dealt with there have been intelligent and genuinely caring. When I've talked to parents where we pick up at the end of the day I've learned that many of them don't live in the Madison District but they drive the extra miles so their kids can attend. Parents from as far away as Glendale and Laveen driving twice a day to Central PHX. It's anecdotal info, but I think it says something about the districts notoriety.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
If you don't like Kyrene or Scottsdale school districts then none of the public schools in the metro area will please you as those two districts are among the best public education school districts in the entire state. Maybe you should look into the Montesorri charter schools which I hear great things about. There are also a couple of Christian schools in the area that perform pretty high academically. You mentioned your sons attended Basis.......that school caters to handicap children and children with disabilities from what I understand correct? Are you looking for a similar environment?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
I live in Anthem. Both of my sons attend a charter school (BASIS Peoria) which I think is academically unparalleled (not just in the metro, but nationally).

Where are the very best (academically rigorous) Valley public schools (junior/high schools)? I'm not impressed with either Kyrene or Scottsdale (two districts that I believe are typically highly-regarded), and as much as we love Anthem, I'll happily relocate to be within the borders of the valley's best public (not private, not charter) neighborhood school?
You think BASIS is academically unparalleled yet you don't want to send your children there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area