Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,930,047 times

Advertisements

We are visiting family who live near Thunderbird and 19th Avenue. I'm familiar with Phoenix (lived there for 25+ years until June, 2012), but not the west site or the motel scene.

We're looking for something fairly close to that intersection, in a budget to moderate price range - nothing fancy, but we don't do 'Motel 6 style' anymore. Do not need pet friendly on this trip (he's staying home.) Microwave and mini-fridge would be a BIG bonus. We will, of course, have a car.

I know that parts of that area are a bit sketchy, and safety is always a concern - but we're not exactly paranoid, either. Have found the following nearby - any comments or additions, please?

Red Roof Inn, 17222 North Black Canyon Highway
Fairfield Inn, Phoenix North 17017 North Black Canyon Highway
la quinta, 2510 West Greenway Road,
Super 8, 17211 North Black Canyon Hwy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,152,728 times
gosh just get a 7 day stay rate at a Residence Inn. cook fridge etc.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,493,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We are visiting family who live near Thunderbird and 19th Avenue. I'm familiar with Phoenix (lived there for 25+ years until June, 2012), but not the west site or the motel scene.

We're looking for something fairly close to that intersection, in a budget to moderate price range - nothing fancy, but we don't do 'Motel 6 style' anymore. Do not need pet friendly on this trip (he's staying home.) Microwave and mini-fridge would be a BIG bonus. We will, of course, have a car.

I know that parts of that area are a bit sketchy, and safety is always a concern - but we're not exactly paranoid, either. Have found the following nearby - any comments or additions, please?

Red Roof Inn, 17222 North Black Canyon Highway
Fairfield Inn, Phoenix North 17017 North Black Canyon Highway
la quinta, 2510 West Greenway Road,
Super 8, 17211 North Black Canyon Hwy
Of those, I'd take the Fairfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I think there is a Residence Inn in that general area too, those are nice. EDIT: The Residence Inn is at around Dunlap and the 1-17. (8242 N) Perfectly convenient to Thunderbird, it's just south where the others are north. You get a real kitchen, very comfortable.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,348,555 times
I used to travel for business, so I have a lot of general hotel experience, but not these particular properties. (Sometimes even the best chains have weird outliers.) Of your original list, the Fairfield Inn will have more amenities than the others on the list. But they have small fridges and microwaves in only the suites. So I agree with observer53. If the Residence Inn meets your budget, I've never been in a bad one. I stayed at the one in Westgate just a couple of weeks ago and it was great. You'll have a full kitchen, a TV with more stations than I have at my house, and a nice desk set-up. In general, I'm a fan of the Marriott's Hampton Inn chain — consistently good value for the price — but they don't have kitchens.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I used to travel for business, so I have a lot of general hotel experience, but not these particular properties. (Sometimes even the best chains have weird outliers.) Of your original list, the Fairfield Inn will have more amenities than the others on the list. But they have small fridges and microwaves in only the suites. So I agree with observer53. If the Residence Inn meets your budget, I've never been in a bad one. I stayed at the one in Westgate just a couple of weeks ago and it was great. You'll have a full kitchen, a TV with more stations than I have at my house, and a nice desk set-up. In general, I'm a fan of the Marriott's Hampton Inn chain — consistently good value for the price — but they don't have kitchens.

Agree with this .. except that Hampton is a Hilton brand, not a Marriott. I stay in Hamptons around AZ a lot. Like them all. There isn't one around the area that the OP is looking for, though, and they don't have kitchens.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,930,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
That would be quite simple IF WE WERE STAYING IN ONE PLACE FOR 7 DAYS.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That would be quite simple IF WE WERE STAYING IN ONE PLACE FOR 7 DAYS.
That poster evidently assumed you were staying longer than you are. That said, if the nightly rate at Residence Inn is within your budget, it's still the best choice in that neighborhood in terms of what you are looking for.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,348,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Agree with this .. except that Hampton is a Hilton brand, not a Marriott. I stay in Hamptons around AZ a lot. Like them all. There isn't one around the area that the OP is looking for, though, and they don't have kitchens.
Sorry when I said Marriott's Hampton Inn, I actually meant Courtyard. You'd think I'd remember, as I was once stuck in one for three days during a freak snowstorm. But I've been in them both so often, I get them mixed up. Since Courtyard markets itself as a business hotel, they often cut rates substantially on weekends. So if you need a hotel on a Friday or Saturday night, it's always a good place to check. No help to the OP, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area