Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I've lived in South Tempe for most of the last 40 years. I would not know the University is even in the same city, unless I drive into that area. To take the entire city of Mesa and most of the city of Tempe "out of the running" on that basis would be wrong. Mesa is not influenced by ASU college student rentals much at all; neither is the city of Tempe south of Broadway Road. Don't take those areas off your list on that basis. Tempe is closer to the airport than Chandler or Gilbert, close to South Mountain Park, and has the best public transportation in the Valley, as well as an excellent parks and recreation department with all sorts of special interest classes and activities. And, the university is nearby when you want it, for cultural/educational activities. South/south central Tempe has Whole Foods, Trader Joes, REI, and one farmer's market that I know of because it's near my house.
Agree. Tempe or Ahwatukee would be the first (and probably last) places I would look given OP's criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM

357 posts, read 712,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Agree. Tempe or Ahwatukee would be the first (and probably last) places I would look given OP's criteria.
I 3rd this. South Tempe and Ahwatukee are your best bets. I don't see how the majority of Gilbert would be within 30 minutes of the airport unless the OP is always flying between 10am and 2pm. Even from the very NW corner of Gilbert, according to Google Maps, it's 20 minutes with no traffic. Places like Power Ranch would be more like 35-40 minutes with no traffic. Plus both South Tempe and Ahwatukee are much closer to South Mountain and outdoor activities.

Chandler north of the 202 would be great too - an area like McClintock and Elliot/Warner maybe? Malls, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, all of that is there. Plus if you're near the 101 and Elliot (theoretically) it's a quick 15 minutes to Scottsdale.

Your budget I think would be the main concern, you'll probably have to spend closer to $1,500.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,793,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
... Even from the very NW corner of Gilbert, according to Google Maps, it's 20 minutes with no traffic. Places like Power Ranch would be more like 35-40 minutes with no traffic...

Your budget I think would be the main concern, you'll probably have to spend closer to $1,500.
From my home in Val Vista Lakes, which is north central Gilbert, I get to the airport in less than 30 minutes anytime. Power Ranch, Seville, and that south west section of Gilbert is outside of the 30 minute range.

Yes, prices are higher in Tempe, Ahwatukee, and Chandler, then Gilbert, typically in that order.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
I 3rd this. South Tempe and Ahwatukee are your best bets. I don't see how the majority of Gilbert would be within 30 minutes of the airport unless the OP is always flying between 10am and 2pm. Even from the very NW corner of Gilbert, according to Google Maps, it's 20 minutes with no traffic. Places like Power Ranch would be more like 35-40 minutes with no traffic. Plus both South Tempe and Ahwatukee are much closer to South Mountain and outdoor activities.

Chandler north of the 202 would be great too - an area like McClintock and Elliot/Warner maybe? Malls, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, all of that is there. Plus if you're near the 101 and Elliot (theoretically) it's a quick 15 minutes to Scottsdale.

You are precisely in my neighborhood with that suggestion... which is actually south Tempe. But, as I like to say, I could throw a rock into Chandler... (or, I can see it from my house... )

Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM

58 posts, read 113,750 times
We currently live in Voorhees Nj and have been to Phoenix 6 times in the last 9 months looking at areas that would suit us best. We have a family so schools are very important, that's why we considered Gilbert... For us it's a little off the beaten path and not to offend anyone, too many LDS
We have looked into Anthem, Chandler, North Scottsdale, Scottsdale and some areas in between. As of right now our focus is on 85254 and North Scottsdale. I also mountain bike a lot and were boaters. Isn't isn't too far to Lake Saguro and plenty of outdoor activities.
As far as realtors, find someone that knows something about most towns rather specializes in one community. They can set u up with a portal and you will get daily updates from the MLS. No sense in wasting your time if all they want to do is fulfill thier own agenda.
Our search continues... We're not making the move till the school year ends.
As I sit here in NJ right now were getting freezing rain and snow and it seems as if the sun hasn't been out in ages... The end of the school year can't come soon enough
You will get great advise from people on here. Observer has always been a great help and won't steer u wrong. Best of luck in your search!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,793,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBuddy View Post
...As far as realtors, find someone that knows something about most towns rather specializes in one community. They can set u up with a portal and you will get daily updates from the MLS. No sense in wasting your time if all they want to do is fulfill thier own agenda....
When the OP looks for a Realtor, they should research them by googling them on line, looking at their web sites, their blogs, and their posts if they participate in C-D. A lot can be learned by researching them.

Any Realtor in the ARMLS system can set the OP up with a portal through the MLS, and the agent he chooses will do that.

I would disagree with finding a Realtor that knows about most towns. Phoenix is a huge area, (1.5 hour drive one way with light traffic from Gilbert to Surprise) so it is virtually impossible for one agent to cover the entire valley. It is best for the OP, or anyone else, to choose an agent who covers the area they are interested in. One should not use one agent to look for homes in Surprise and in Queen Creek.

Generally speaking, agents in Surprise will have local knowledge of the west valley and west Phoenix. Agents in Scottsdale will know that area, part of Phoenix, and Tempe. Agents in the east valley, (not including Scottsdale) will know Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, and Ahwatukee.

Therefore, it's best to make sure that the agent knows the area where the clients are interested. Local knowledge is extremely important, and while agents licensed in Arizona can practice anywhere in Arizona, it is not practical.

The OP has requested information on areas that meet his criteria and everyone has naturally provided their favorite areas that they feel will meet the OP's criteria. The OP is now able to research those areas to determine which area best meets the most of their criteria, and proceed from there.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,575,090 times
Ahwatukee is like a small town feel without being out of the city. I agree that you should be tucked away into Ahwatukee. West of 36th street (and west of S. Mountain Parkway) and North of Chandler Blvd. It's clean, people are friendly, and you are minutes from the airport. The nice thing is there are some fine restaurants in the area near I-10 and Ray Road, within 5 minute drive: Roy's, Fleming's, and the chains Buca De Beppo, Red Lobster, etc. I like On The Border but also go to Roy's. I'm not a restaurant snob - I don't care about local-owned only. There are some nice chains.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,575,090 times
Yeah, 85254 (N. Scottsdale, but not waaay north) is a good zip code. Mountain biking - can't beat the Pima - Dynamite trail - although you have to have a state permit to ride there - who does?

Kierland is very upscale and in 85254. Not sure about small town feel since I never lived in that area, but biked a lot up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBuddy View Post
We currently live in Voorhees Nj and have been to Phoenix 6 times in the last 9 months looking at areas that would suit us best. We have a family so schools are very important, that's why we considered Gilbert... For us it's a little off the beaten path and not to offend anyone, too many LDS
We have looked into Anthem, Chandler, North Scottsdale, Scottsdale and some areas in between. As of right now our focus is on 85254 and North Scottsdale. I also mountain bike a lot and were boaters. Isn't isn't too far to Lake Saguro and plenty of outdoor activities.
As far as realtors, find someone that knows something about most towns rather specializes in one community. They can set u up with a portal and you will get daily updates from the MLS. No sense in wasting your time if all they want to do is fulfill thier own agenda.
Our search continues... We're not making the move till the school year ends.
As I sit here in NJ right now were getting freezing rain and snow and it seems as if the sun hasn't been out in ages... The end of the school year can't come soon enough
You will get great advise from people on here. Observer has always been a great help and won't steer u wrong. Best of luck in your search!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM

19,453 posts, read 27,902,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
When the OP looks for a Realtor, they should research them by googling them on line, looking at their web sites, their blogs, and their posts if they participate in C-D. A lot can be learned by researching them.

Any Realtor in the ARMLS system can set the OP up with a portal through the MLS, and the agent he chooses will do that.

I would disagree with finding a Realtor that knows about most towns. Phoenix is a huge area, (1.5 hour drive one way with light traffic from Gilbert to Surprise) so it is virtually impossible for one agent to cover the entire valley. It is best for the OP, or anyone else, to choose an agent who covers the area they are interested in. One should not use one agent to look for homes in Surprise and in Queen Creek.

Generally speaking, agents in Surprise will have local knowledge of the west valley and west Phoenix. Agents in Scottsdale will know that area, part of Phoenix, and Tempe. Agents in the east valley, (not including Scottsdale) will know Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, and Ahwatukee.

Therefore, it's best to make sure that the agent knows the area where the clients are interested. Local knowledge is extremely important, and while agents licensed in Arizona can practice anywhere in Arizona, it is not practical.

The OP has requested information on areas that meet his criteria and everyone has naturally provided their favorite areas that they feel will meet the OP's criteria. The OP is now able to research those areas to determine which area best meets the most of their criteria, and proceed from there.
This ^^^^^^^

Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM

58 posts, read 113,750 times
Im sorry maybe I should clarify abouy my realtor. Because Maracopa county is aboit the size of NJ. We had no idea where to settle in. Im the kind of person that will do most of my own research with this forum being on top of the list for REAL information. That coupled with school reports, demographics and even google maps helps me get most of the info I need... if I then think the area is a good fit for us my realtor to give me current listings and info. She works for a large firm and has a network of other realtors that can provide even more info on that area.... process of elimintation works best for me.
FWIW...I like to work with flexable people... not someone who only specializes in a particular neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area