Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,310 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a house. I currently live in Tempe and I like it, but the ASU kids can be overwhelming sometimes. Tempe is an option, but I want to know more about phoenix. I've been there a few times and I like it, I like the artsy vibe down on Roosevelt (first fridays), but I don't think I'd want to own a house in that specific area, too close to Van Buren ect.

I'm going to own a house, so I want it to be a good area, but I'd like an artsy vibe, coffee shops. I'm 25, so something with people in their mid-20's to mid-30's, art galleries, ect.. Something within 20 minutes of Tempe (I work there, friends are there). Something in the middle of a good hip scene I guess, with good neighborhoods. A good neighborhood close to Roosevelt i guess, IDK any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM

606 posts, read 1,607,300 times
This thread may be of some help to you: https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...hborhoods.html

Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM

223 posts, read 515,254 times
what part of the 25K to 25KK price range of the Valley are you expecting to spend?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
I'd buy one of the older homes in Tempe, close to those kind of amenities but not full of students, and save myself the travel and wanting to be in Tempe in 20 minutes. Take the rail, or your car, into central Phx when you feel like it.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
what part of the 25K to 25KK price range of the Valley are you expecting to spend?
I think he meant PEOPLE in their mid-20's to mid-30's, not price.

OP: If you read up on some of the other posts on historic districts of Phoenix, you'll find a LOT of good info. Here's what I've found doing research:

Willo and Roosevelt are the ideal "historic neighborhoods". The houses are attractive, there's low crime, and all the amenities you're looking for. They're also out of most people's price ranges. Where you want to look are the areas that are up and coming. The two that are most promising seem to be "Garfield" and "Coronado". This area is bordered by Van Buren (South), Thomas (North), 7th St (West), and 16th St (East). Housing is still cheap, for the most part. There's still quite a few houses that haven't been "flipped" yet (redone, modernized, etc). You've got basically the same convenient location as Roosevelt or Willo. There's cafes and art galleries in the area, and the light rail less than a mile away (running up the Central Ave corridor).

The Garfield/Coronado area is about 15-25 minutes from downtown Tempe (ASU / Mill Ave), but keep in mind those stretches of highway get bad gridlock during rush hour. Light Rail, depending on your distance to a station, will take 40 minutes to an hour to get to Tempe (honestly, not all that bad for public transit in the Valley).

If you're worried about proximity to Van Buren, look more into the Coronado area than Garfield.

EDIT: observer53 makes a good point, as well. Historic Tempe has a lot to offer, in an arguably nicer area. Downtown Tempe is right around the corner, and the Light Rail could instead take you into Downtown Phoenix, and all it has to offer.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Willo and Roosevelt are the ideal "historic neighborhoods". The houses are attractive, there's low crime, and all the amenities you're looking for. They're also out of most people's price ranges.
Really? The current issue of Inside Willo shows pending sales at $145K and $160K. (There's also a $730K.)

Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM

890 posts, read 2,281,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
The Garfield/Coronado area is about 15-25 minutes from downtown Tempe (ASU / Mill Ave), but keep in mind those stretches of highway get bad gridlock during rush hour. Light Rail, depending on your distance to a station, will take 40 minutes to an hour to get to Tempe (honestly, not all that bad for public transit in the Valley).
True, however Tempe to Phoenix will be a reverse commute, so I don't think the traffic would be unbearable. Same with the light rail, it won't be too crowded as the majority of riders will be going toward Phoenix in the morning, not toward Tempe.

That said, the historic areas of Tempe are very nice, though they can be pricey. Although the older areas are near ASU, college students tend to live in other neighborhoods since the rents aren't as high. With the traffic calming they have done in Maple/Ash, it's actually a very quiet neighborhood despite being across the street from ASU and right by Mill Avenue.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Really? The current issue of Inside Willo shows pending sales at $145K and $160K. (There's also a $730K.)
Around $150k in Willo? Not bad... There's huge price jumps in those neighborhoods, though. The cheap deals still need to be renovated from what I've seen. Most of the nice, "artsy", renovated houses in the area are all more expensive. Anything over $150k is basically out of my price range -- I'm mainly shopping sub-$100k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
True, however Tempe to Phoenix will be a reverse commute, so I don't think the traffic would be unbearable. Same with the light rail, it won't be too crowded as the majority of riders will be going toward Phoenix in the morning, not toward Tempe.

That said, the historic areas of Tempe are very nice, though they can be pricey. Although the older areas are near ASU, college students tend to live in other neighborhoods since the rents aren't as high. With the traffic calming they have done in Maple/Ash, it's actually a very quiet neighborhood despite being across the street from ASU and right by Mill Avenue.
Very true. Phoenix to Tempe is definitely a reverse commute, but traffic is slow through the "bends" in I-10 no matter which direction you're going at rush hour. 202 should be mostly clear going the opposite direction, though...

Even so, if I lived in the area, and commuted to Tempe, I'd commute with the Light Rail. Save the wear and tear on my vehicle, and save money on gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: