Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM

97 posts, read 134,166 times

Advertisements

I just read a blog describing the draconian HOA enforcement activities in Anthem (according to the blog, homeowners have been fined for cars parked in front of their houses which aren't even theirs; they've been ordered to repaint when the paint is new; fined when the grass isn't "green" enough, etc.). That's not how I care to live. Does anyone know about the HOA policies in other north Phoenix areas like Surprise or Goodyear?

Any other problems with living in these communities?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Every HOA is different, regardless of which city they are in. Some HOA's run very well, and don't antagonize the homeowners. You can ask for copies of the CC and Rs for any community you are looking at a home in, to see what the restrictions are.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM

97 posts, read 134,166 times
I think the problem is less the actual restrictions and more the unfair enforcement of the restrictions, as in being fined for cars parked in front of your house that don't belong to you.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsl6 View Post
I just read a blog describing the draconian HOA enforcement activities in Anthem (according to the blog, homeowners have been fined for cars parked in front of their houses which aren't even theirs; they've been ordered to repaint when the paint is new; fined when the grass isn't "green" enough, etc.). That's not how I care to live. Does anyone know about the HOA policies in other north Phoenix areas like Surprise or Goodyear?

Thanks.
I have lived in a number of HOA Communities over the years and my first impression of these "radically extreme" violations . . . they are either very rare or merely a bunch of BS.

Granted, the CC&Rs need to be enforced and enforced equally, however, I doubt very seriously if any homeowner was fined, first without warning and/or due process, for not repainting "fresh paint" or illegally parked vehicles that did not belong to them.

All of this "Po Me Syndrome" BS sounds more like a homeowner who arrogantly feels they are above the rules they fully agreed to PRIOR to purchasing their home.

Generally speaking . . . show me a community without an active Board of Directors enforcing the CC&Rs and I'll show you a poorly maintained community with, but not limited to, overgrown yards, abandoned or unlicensed vehicles, trash containers left outside for days and shoddy paint which all have a very negative affect on each and every homeowner.

Anyone desiring that type of community . . . PURCHASE A Double-Wide OUT IN THE DESERT.

Sadly, HOAs are necessary primarily due to the First Person Singulars who prefer to disrespect everyone else, including their neighbors.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Anyone desiring that type of community . . . PURCHASE A Double-Wide OUT IN THE DESERT.
Funny you mention "double wides" - in my old home state (Michigan) the fire codes generally required "double wides" to be at least twenty feet from the property line (or fourty feet apart)..

Many/most builders in Phoenix stick "real houses" four feet from the property line.

I think the crux of the problem is that we market "single family homes", that are really condos.

CC&R's & HOA's aren't something that's *needed* when you live in a true "single family home" - you need them for a condo.

A home in an association is really no different than a detached condo, except you "own" a little more dirt.

You still get the dues, the HOA board, and the handy "joint and several" liability..

This is really just a terminology problem, and condo-owners trying to sell condos for the same price as single-family homes.

I mean, "condo" might be a "emotionally loaded" term, but "single family home" implies a much higher level of ownership than you really get by buying in a HOA neighborhood.

If we started calling Association homes "condos", people would expect to be told where to park, when to paint & how many pets they can have.

The 50 pages of covenants, codes & restrictions *should* imply that you aren't getting "full" ownership of the land, but they're delivered along with probably another hundred pages of mind-numbing docs that no one reads at closing - so you really can't blame the new owners for being confused.

They bought a "house", not a "condo!"..

But they get a condo..

Last edited by Zippyman; 11-09-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsl6 View Post
. Does anyone know about the HOA policies in other north Phoenix areas like Surprise or Goodyear?

Thanks.
I don't think I would call either of those north phoenix - especially goodyear, which is squarely in the SW portion of the metro

There is actual north phoenix, places like deer valley, the desert ridge area, north glendale, north peoria and other places that would fit above the northern portion of the 101 freeway that would have a wide variety of HOA rules and regulations

Places like anthem are giant master planned communities ...... some of the smaller ones can be more loose or more strict .... a lot will depend on what they are selling.

My HOA is fine - they maintain the common landscaping and keep a real basic level of oversight on the neighborhood ........... changes to your home, etc would need to get worked through them - but the day to day stuff typically isn't an issue .... there is no requirement to have a front lawn, carriage lights, etc and if you drag your trash can out a couple days early and stick it by the side of your house or leave your car out at night no one is really caring

Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,264 times
We live in Goodyear, Palm Valley Phase 5, and have had no problems with the HOA. I feel that the HOA does a nice job of maintaining the area, but doesn't purposefully harass homeowners. I prefer to live in a neighborhood with an HOA because you can't always trust people to use common sense and keep areas tidy.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

How about if you want everything surrounding your residence to look exactly as you want it to appear, YOU build a house out in the desert (funny, if one is in the Phoenix area, aren't they already out in the desert?)

Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
I live in Anthem. Have not had a problem with the HOA at all. There have been other peoples cars parked in front of my house for days on a couple of occasions. No fine. I really don't know why the HOA gets such a bad rap. Maybe its different in Country Club, which has its own HOA, but in Parkside I don't see the problem. If you're interested in living here I suggest talking to more residents beside the occasional online complainers.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,787 times
Even if you buy in an HOA which doesn't strictly enforce its rules today, that doesn't mean they won't change management companies the month after you buy and start being strict. I've seen this happen in a few communities we own/manage homes in. It can happen the other way around as well - there was one community in Goodyear that had very adverse management policies towards rentals - they changed management and the policies and over-strict governance went away. But please consider that any HOA can be very strict and if you don't want your property to ever become micro-managed, consider buying an older home in a non-HOA community. Note that some cities have strict bylaws considering homeowners and how they tend to their property as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area