Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM

28 posts, read 220,447 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a law student from Seattle who was just given an offer at a large law firm in Phoenix for a summer position. It's headquartered in the Biltmore area at 24th and Camelback. I'm not sure how I feel about Phoenix, but if I do take the position, I'd need a place to live for a few months next summer. My questions are: What are good, AFFODABLE places to live near the Camelback Corridor? I'm coming from a very urban city with good public transportation, so I do not have a car. If I moved to phoenix permanently, I'd obviously have to get a car, but just for the summer, I would not have one. Is it even possible to survive using buses in the Phoenix area? Is there anywhere that I could live affordably for a few months without a car?

I know I'm probably asking a lot, but here in Seattle there are a lot of great apartment neighborhoods that are walkable and convenient. Could I find this in Phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Summer + Walking and Busing = going to be really tough summer....

Not sure about the buses in Phoenix but my experience with other buses in other cities has been that they are not really cool during the summer months. Plus you have to wait outside for them....

Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 PM

I'm pretty hardy, I don't mind conditions that others would find unpleasant. I actually love walking everywhere if possible. Are buses not air conditioned though in Phoenix? at 115 degrees? There's no way I can afford a car until after graduation, so the bus would really be my only option. Would it be so awful that I just can't come to Phoenix?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
No...I'm sure the buses have air...but the bus is a large space with a bunch of hot people. It won't be a very pleasant environment. I used to travel train Sped students in Palmdale (10 degrees cooler then Phoenix and it was hot on that bus....plus the buses were constantly overheating and breaking down)

Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 PM

94 posts, read 349,479 times
Smile Buses

As long as you find a rental right along Camelback you will be fine. It's not much fun as I too moved to Phoenix w/o a car but it's doable. A transit tax was passed a few years ago though so things are alot better. The Camelback line is one of the main ones so it runs quite often. Not many people ride the bus in Phoenix so you don't have to worry about crowded buses like in other cities. I think you would be OK since it is only temporary. There is a grocery store at 16th/Camelback and Trader Joes at 20th/Cback. The area between 16th-24th on Camelback has quite a bit of retail, dining and entertainment options to keep you busy. Plus, I am sure you will make lots of friends that will all have cars!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:43 AM

111 posts, read 226,307 times
Camelback/24th St is an upscale area and there are plenty of nice apartments in the immediate vicinity of your office. They'll be a bit more expensive than other areas but worth it.

Having said that, the overall cost of living in Phoenix is very low compared to other cities, especially Seattle, so maybe a car will be an option after all.

If you're single (it sounds like you are) check out the Mercbar in the Esplanade at Camelback and 24th St, it's awesome, and Houston's at happy hour is a great place to meet hotties too!

Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
I wouldn't recommend long-term carlessness, but you could get by for one summer.

The housing right at 24th & Camelback is pricey high-rise condos -- although you might be able to rent from someone who lives here only in Winter. More affordable options are located within a one-mile radius along Highland, Campbell, 16th St., etc.

24th & Camelback is served by five bus lines: 32 (http://www.valleymetro.org/bus/Bus_Routes/Route_32.htm - broken link), 50 (http://www.valleymetro.org/bus/Bus_Routes/Route_50.htm - broken link), 60 (http://www.valleymetro.org/bus/Bus_Routes/Route_60.htm - broken link), 70 (http://www.valleymetro.org/bus/Bus_Routes/Route_70.htm - broken link), and Blue (http://www.valleymetro.org/bus/Bus_Routes/Blue_Line.htm - broken link). Make sure that whatever you rent is near one of those. Chances are that your firm will be arranging some outings for you and the other summer associates, so that should give you a chance to see more of the area that is not readily accessible by bus.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I doubt I'll take the offer (Phoenix doesn't really appeal to me), but if I do, I'll be sure to be near one of those bus lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: