Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 181,871 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Phoenix in a few weeks and was wondering how my black, cloth convertible top will fare in the relentless Arizona sun.

I was there a few months ago and didn’t notice too many so I was wondering if this was because the sun damages the top. Is a soft-top convertible a bad idea in Arizona?

Thanks.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
I would only drive it in the winter months, and try not to park it out in the sun for extended periods of time. My BIL had a Wrangler, and after 3 years its top was definitely pretty beat-up looking, and he maintained it constantly. Even the plastic windows were warped and brown looking.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:05 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelko View Post
I am moving to Phoenix in a few weeks and was wondering how my black, cloth convertible top will fare in the relentless Arizona sun.

I was there a few months ago and didn’t notice too many so I was wondering if this was because the sun damages the top. Is a soft-top convertible a bad idea in Arizona?

Thanks.
You should be fine as long as you have covered parking.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:18 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Sorry, I don't know anything about cloth tops, other than seeing a lot of destroyed ones.

Don't ever park in the sun, ever, with a black sports car. We have 2 black 4th gen firebirds (one being a trans am), one with a hard top and one with t-tops. They both have melted inside a bit (mostly on the dash). My bf had one of the dashes replaced while it was still under warranty. That was a big job!

He has them both stored in the garage fulltime now, and drives his third car to work and around. I also think my dash melted around the passenger airbag too this summer being out in the sun while at work. I have a cream color car with a sunroof and leather.

Get a garage, park under covered parking, or a big tree.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I have a rag top. After 7 years it is fine - no fading, discolored plastic. Some of the stiching is beginning to come apart though. I keep it in the garage when I am not using it. I think convertibles are best at night around town. The air and sun is so hot in summer and in winter the low sun angles bother me a bit. Spring, summer and fall nights are great though. All in all, convertible driving in the city is not a lot of fun. Freeways are noisy with who knows riding next to you. Out on the backroads it is a ball. The scenery is real nice. I go check out the fall colors every year top down.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:59 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
i have a black top 04 convertible beetle and it's doing just fine. looks like the day I bought it. there are a lot of convertibles in the valley! i've never seen any that look beat up because of the sun.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,264 times
The soft top on the Wrangler does fine year round. No fading or beat up look - and the top gets changed out every 3-4 years anyway due to stretching from wind and taking it on, off and down. The plastic on the windows will get hazy after 3-4 years but that is normal. Buy a top of the line soft top if you have a Wrangler for this sun and you'll get top performance from your product. A soft top on a Jeep is not meant to last for the lifetime of the vehicle anyway. Those who take their Jeeps off road will probably most likely change out their tops every 1-3 years...the dirt/mud (in addition to pollution in the air) can and will stain the windows giving it that warped nasty look. Nothing to do with the sun. In the midwest and East the windows on the Wrangler will eventually look that brown color or hazy-white from the salt and mud mix on the roads in Winter. Have fun with your convertible!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:50 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelko View Post

Thanks.
Great question, Angelko

I have two convertibles (only one with a fabric top) and rarely drive either vehicle with the top up, however, when not being driven, they are always kept in the garage. Also, I search for shade when parking during errands, etc.

As for a black vehicle . . . I made that mistake only once and since I am a regular car nut, never again. Not because of the heat as much as the dust. They begin to look dirty about 20 minutes after a bath. ! ! ! !

Bring your convertible out here and enjoy the fantastic weather night and day.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:53 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

As for a black vehicle . . . I made that mistake only once and since I am a regular car nut, never again. Not because of the heat as much as the dust. They begin to look dirty about 20 minutes after a bath. ! ! ! !

Bring your convertible out here and enjoy the fantastic weather night and day.
And that's just from sitting in the garage! I hear it all the time.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:00 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
And that's just from sitting in the garage! I hear it all the time.
Yep, sablebaby . . . YA GOT THAT RIGHT.

Downright depressing! Two or three hours for a bumper to bumper bath and then it is dusty by the time I've showered and ready to go for a drive! ! ! ! !

Yellow, Red, Tan, Blue or Orange but . . . NEVER BLACK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: