Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,510,776 times

Advertisements

Just curious!
All opinions..

Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Give you one big con....it's feels like the surface of the sun in summer.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Weather rarely cancels your plans, and rarely kills someone.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Pros:
1 - Weather is nice from October, sometimes through early June. In comparison to other cities in the northeastern region of the United States, we have mild falls, winters, and springs
2 - Phoenix is in the center of the State of Arizona, so you'll have convenient access to other areas in the state, which is advantageous because you can go from desert climate, to mountains in about an hour or two. All the mountains are north and north east of the Phoenix area, that vary in elevation from 4,000 to 9,500 feet, so you can go from sun tanning in Phoenix, to skiing just west of Flagstaff in about two hours.
3 - There are many scenic areas that are close to the Phoenix area, the Grand Canyon is about 3 hours north of Phoenix, Sedona, with its spectacular red-rocks is about 2 hours north of Phoenix, Mogollon Rim has a lot of scenic areas, Monument Valley is about 3-4 hours northeast of Phoenix.
4 - Phoenix has a population of around 1.6 million, the entire metro area has about 3.7 million people, it's not the largest metro area in the United States, but it still creates a healthy economy in many sectors.
5 - Phoenix has the open space feel, even in populated areas, unlike other cities, where everything seems to be built on top of everything else, with little or no space in between.
6 - Wherever you live in the Phoenix area, you're always not too far from a shopping center, we have plenty of them.
7 - Phoenix is not too far from other large cities, the Los Angeles and San Diego areas are a 6-hour drive away, and Las Vegas is a 5-hour drive.

The Cons:
1 - It does get hot here in the summer, maybe not as hot as "The surface of the sun" as Pretzelogik mentioned sarcasticly, but it's a dry desert climate, and the daytime highs can get up to 118 degrees F in July. The daytime highs from the beginning of June through the end of September average about 105 degrees F. The one good thing about it is, the humidity is very low, typically around 10% during the day.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
There are MANY threads on this issue already. And, you need to keep in mind that both the overly positive and overly negative posts should be taken with a grain of salt, and that what are "pros" or "cons" in terms of whether someone likes living somewhere are entirely personal to them. You cannot, and should not, base any decisions on what anyone else says. No place is for everyone. If you are considering moving here, you need to come see for yourself. And, summer is the best time to do that, because the weather only gets better in other seasons.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM

24 posts, read 42,397 times
Some places are nice, but have very cold winters. Phoenix is like that, but instead of being really cold in winter you'r just really, REALLY hot in the summer. I'd take the hot over wind, sleet, hail, and snow any day...

Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Pros:
1 - Weather is nice from October, sometimes through early June. In comparison to other cities in the northeastern region of the United States, we have mild falls, winters, and springs
2 - Phoenix is in the center of the State of Arizona, so you'll have convenient access to other areas in the state, which is advantageous because you can go from desert climate, to mountains in about an hour or two. All the mountains are north and north east of the Phoenix area, that vary in elevation from 4,000 to 9,500 feet, so you can go from sun tanning in Phoenix, to skiing just west of Flagstaff in about two hours.
3 - There are many scenic areas that are close to the Phoenix area, the Grand Canyon is about 3 hours north of Phoenix, Sedona, with its spectacular red-rocks is about 2 hours north of Phoenix, Mogollon Rim has a lot of scenic areas, Monument Valley is about 3-4 hours northeast of Phoenix.
4 - Phoenix has a population of around 1.6 million, the entire metro area has about 3.7 million people, it's not the largest metro area in the United States, but it still creates a healthy economy in many sectors.
5 - Phoenix has the open space feel, even in populated areas, unlike other cities, where everything seems to be built on top of everything else, with little or no space in between.
6 - Wherever you live in the Phoenix area, you're always not too far from a shopping center, we have plenty of them.
7 - Phoenix is not too far from other large cities, the Los Angeles and San Diego areas are a 6-hour drive away, and Las Vegas is a 5-hour drive.

The Cons:
1 - It does get hot here in the summer, maybe not as hot as "The surface of the sun" as Pretzelogik mentioned sarcasticly, but it's a dry desert climate, and the daytime highs can get up to 118 degrees F in July. The daytime highs from the beginning of June through the end of September average about 105 degrees F. The one good thing about it is, the humidity is very low, typically around 10% during the day.
One of the best of these lists I've ever seen. I'll add one con, though. Everything is very spread out. This means that where you live is largely based on where you work, which isn't the ideal situation and can cause significant issues if both spouses work.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM

197 posts, read 453,921 times
This thread is going to attract nothing but negative replies. It might as well be closed. Yes, Phoenix is hot If you don't like the heat(some of us do) then don't come here. Simple as that.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
One of the best of these lists I've ever seen. I'll add one con, though. Everything is very spread out. This means that where you live is largely based on where you work, which isn't the ideal situation and can cause significant issues if both spouses work.
Thanks for the con you mention - As a native Arizonan, I can agree with you on the Phoenix area being spread out, I guess that can be a disadvantage in some cases, especially if you own a house in Surprise, and you work in Mesa.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times
Pros
-- If you need to go to college, in-state tuition is low (all things considered) for public universities.
-- Weather is nice 6 months out of the year. I say 6 months because I'm pale, with freckles.. you get the idea. I'm a bit more sensitive to the sun.
-- You don't need a ton of variety in your wardrobe.
-- I love to local scene in shopping. Love.
-- Cost of living is great.

Cons:
-- Because of the heat... you cannot slack with car care. I tend to slack and I can't. Last summer, our radiator in our xTerra was 20% blocked and caused the A/C to shut down on 119 degree days. No one could figure it out for awhile and it took a month to fix.
-- I hate driving. Public transportation has been improved by leaps and bounds but still has room for major improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area