Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,302,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
I guess the one argument I can understand is that LV, LA, and SD are exciting world-class tourist-destinations. But honestly, if you're talking 6 hours, now you've got to start comparing it to where you can go with a short flight. Plus, every city on either coast has more options within the same distance, thus rendering the "better than average" portion of the statement incorrect.
I could never understand why people move to Phoenix to be close to southern CA or Las Vegas. Hell, if they want to be that close to the beaches, the theme parks and other entertainment, why not MOVE to Los Angeles, San Diego, or Vegas??? Better yet, why can't Phoenix get some decent theme parks going (other than the many water parks we have, which are mediocre at best)?

Do people move to California or Nevada so they can be close to Phoenix? Of course not. At least, I have never heard of that. So it really doesn't make any sense to move to one city to be "close" to another just for an entertainment destination. Besides, Phoenix is certainly big enough to attract some better fun activities to keep people here. I'd rather see tourst money be spent here, instead of most of it going to CA or NV!

Also, you're right that a six hour drive isn't anything to brag about. It takes more than a half a day to make such a trip by car ... and during the summer months, you have to drive through a seemingly endless amount of hot, ugly desert anyway. Admittedly, I love going to San Diego, so I'm really just as guilty. I guess my point is that it would really be great to try to keep the entertainment and tourism dollars HERE so that people won't have to be forced to make that boring five or six hour drive elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,952,694 times
I think the point is, you can do and see all the things these cities have to offer, without paying the price to live there. Quality of life here is really good, if you stop and enjoy it. Phoenix has the best roads I've ever had the pleasure to drive on, rivaling (in smoothness) the roads in Germany. There's multiple art installations around town, and a lot of really attractive looking areas (downtown Scottsdale, Mill Ave, etc).

I agree, Phoenix needs a good theme park. Castles and Coasters isn't exactly something to write home about. Tourism here seems to revolve mostly around golf. But, there's plenty to do and see in the state, and it doesn't cost you your first-born child to live here.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:47 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,173,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Phoenix is part of the third world to me. Unless youve lived elsewhere, you wouldnt know.
You do know that a huge percentage of the people who live in the Phoenix metro area used to live elsewhere? While it's quite clear you despise the area, you're vastly outnumbered by people who did live elsewhere and choose to live here. And quite happily. No place is perfect for everyone, and Phoenix obviously doesn't suit you.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,790,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Moderator cut: off topic Anyways......yes, Phoenix is ghetto and impoverished compared to where Ive lived. Northern Virginia is highly affluent, cultured and 'intellectual.' Suburban Chicago, suburban Detroit and Indianapolis were average. Southern Wisconsin is clean and peaceful. But Phoenix is part of the third world to me. Unless youve lived elsewhere, you wouldnt know.
take the government out of NoVa and it would also seem like a third World Country, meanwhile enjoy paying 3 x for rent and 4 x to buy.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,330,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I could never understand why people move to Phoenix to be close to southern CA or Las Vegas. Hell, if they want to be that close to the beaches, the theme parks and other entertainment, why not MOVE to Los Angeles, San Diego, or Vegas??? Better yet, why can't Phoenix get some decent theme parks going (other than the many water parks we have, which are mediocre at best)?
The day-to-day living is better in Phoenix than L.A. that's why people do that. The cost of living is less, the crime is less, the traffic is less, the schools are better (hard to believe but true), the city is cleaner...overall Phoenix is just nicer. However, when you have the itch to go to a theme park or a vacation, it's nice to be able to go there a few times a year. But the nice thing about Phoenix is that it's a big city in its own right and has enough attractions to keep you fulfilled during most of the year (pro sports, shopping, golf, hiking, restaurants)

But I agree we need to get our own theme parks. We were headed in that direction and the economy took a hit otherwise Decades theme park and Waveyard were scheduled to open by now.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 PM

755 posts, read 677,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The day-to-day living is better in Phoenix than L.A. that's why people do that. The cost of living is less, the crime is less, the traffic is less, the schools are better (hard to believe but true), the city is cleaner...overall Phoenix is just nicer. However, when you have the itch to go to a theme park or a vacation, it's nice to be able to go there a few times a year. But the nice thing about Phoenix is that it's a big city in its own right and has enough attractions to keep you fulfilled during most of the year (pro sports, shopping, golf, hiking, restaurants)

But I agree we need to get our own theme parks. We were headed in that direction and the economy took a hit otherwise Decades theme park and Waveyard were scheduled to open by now.

This!!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,790,482 times
California is the US equivalent of Greece. The effects of a poor bond rating have been dramatically underestimated. The Doc is also 100% correct on the education system. Ours is fairly week, but LA or LV? Somewhat worse, and a lot more dangerous. The school I worked at this Spring gets a "1" from greatschools.net, but it was actually a good place to work, and the tacos across the street were superb.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:35 AM

69 posts, read 221,517 times
Looks like most of the pros have been accounted for and I agree with many of them. Life is pretty good out here and it's easy to take the area and what it has to offer for granted.

A 'con' for me are the concrete-walled back yards that exist in just about every tract home neighborhood. Coming from a small town in the Northeast with more open yards, this was jarring. Some may find this a 'pro' due to privacy, but for me it just cuts off your relationship with neighbors and contributes to feeling isolated. It is, however, undeniably beneficial for so many homes with pools. On the other hand, it's just more concrete to hold onto the heat and feeling these babies radiate from 2 feet away at 9PM in July kinda sucks!

Anyway, Phoenix and the surrounding areas are beautiful and a wonderful place to live assuming this place fits your "style". If you're a hot weather person, you'll probably like it. If you prefer cooler weather, there's a good chance you won't. For me it's really that simple. It's a great, generally friendly place and I'd never discourage anyone from living here. I personally get worn out and irritable from the sun and heat in a way I never did with the cold and rain/snow of the Northeast.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:46 AM

391 posts, read 842,039 times
I don't know if anyone has brought up the fact nothing is really centralized besides government? For example, the high tech jobs range from north scottsdale to south chandler. I felt the same about entertainment.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,577,323 times
I don't know of anyone who moved to Phoenix because it's "close to California" without being California. I have other reasons and I'm sure most people who end up in Phoenix have reasons that are as complicated or more than mine.

I moved to Arizona from California because at that time I lived in the California high desert and got a job in Tucson (was intimidated by Los Angeles and it was too close to the era of the Rodney King riots). A few years later I had a great job opportunity in Phoenix and took it. It lasted 18 months and I was kindly let go in 2002 at GD but have remained a Phoenix resident since (worked in various cities coast to coast meanwhile). I'm currently working in L.A.

Proximity to California is fine for now. Just about one hour plane flight. When working on the east coast I get the dreaded jet lag. My reasons for staying based in Phoenix are the low cost of living and the airport. This morning at Valero in Phoenix I bought gas for $3.69. In L.A. in the south bay it's around $4.37. Added up is a 68 cent difference. This is but one of the nickel and diming California does. California income tax rate is double that of Arizona. Same for its capital gains tax rate. So you have to negotiate for a pay rate that is high enough to justify work in California. Fortunately as a California non-resident and Arizona resident, the FTB gives me tax credit for paying Arizona state income taxes. I drive an economy car over there in California, live in a studio apartment two miles from work so I do not drive much. I don't go out much either. Nor do I buy the premium wines like I did when I worked in Florida. I have to save money as much as possible because I put most of my earnings into investments.

Out of 53 years of age, I spent 44 years living or working in California and know why some of my friends there who have money say they don't mind paying the higher taxes to be in California. One is a surfer my age from a wealthy family and has two beach houses. He does not care about capital gains taxes, even short term capital gains which is at the ordinary income tax rate. Some of us seek justice though and do not want to support the high population of illegals and lazy bums.

It is a fact, not an exaggeration, that California coddles the tax recipients and Arizona taxpayers should be happy that California is like a magnet and many of them are attracted away from Arizona.

My history is in California. Parents are buried there. I have many good memories so I'm sure people here can understand that many people follow their heart to live there, not their minds. I just work where the good money and jobs are and do hope to work in Florida again. I am really hoping to get my foot in the door of engineering contracts in Wasington State, Texas, and Florida so that I can live in Nevada and be done with state income taxes and capital gains taxes all together. And I'm working on it by studying up on what is in demand in my career in those areas. Las Vegas has a good airport, not as good as Phoenix but has direct flights out all over the place compared to Reno. So that is probably going to be my base address someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area