Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:00 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,006,150 times

Advertisements

"Jim writes, "As photo radar becomes more popular with City Hall, enterprising violators are coming up with strategies for beating it. If you get caught speeding or running a red light by photo radar, the evidence against you--a photo or videotape of the violation--is pretty clear-cut.
But there is at least one legal strategy available to you. Arizona law requires that you get your traffic citation from a police officer or a process server.
Since the tickets that are mailed to violators don't meet that legal standard, you have the option of tossing the citation in the trash. "

LINK

Note: Underline was added by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 PM

363 posts, read 930,412 times
Unit,

That would have been great info in July of 2010!!! I was coming back to Montana through Payson, and the summons was sent to Montana. Would have been hard for them to bring it to me personally !!! Great info!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
They just put out a brand new radar camera on 60/Grand near Sun City. I don't remember the exact intersection but it's around Thunderbird. I was driving in the evening last week and I watched the camera flash three different times inside of 30 seconds. Thankfully it wasn't me but they are catching a lot of people speeding.

The speed limit is sooooooo slow in that area as it drops to 35 MPH in Sun City. Never mind the road was re-done with a wide 4 lane "highway" last Spring. It's so slow that I had to install some training wheels on my car to avoid tipping over.

It should be 45-55 in that area but they are forcing people to crawl for miles. Therefore, they will be catching hundreds of people who are in disbelief that a wide 4 lane road could have a 35 MPH speed limit. I suspect the town of Sun City is forcing people to go so slow unnaturally in an attempt to re-route them in future commutes.
There is no town of Sun City. It is possibly county (I did not think they have cams) or Surprise - no suprise there, haha. In any case, good to know. I drive around that area fairly often and will have to keep that in mind. I too hate the low speeds, but understand. Those old folks were there long before all the speed demon yuppie tigers moved in up the road and they have a right to have their community remain peaceful and safe. But it is easy to get going too fast without even realizing it on those wide Sun City streets.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,134,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
Unit,

That would have been great info in July of 2010!!! I was coming back to Montana through Payson, and the summons was sent to Montana. Would have been hard for them to bring it to me personally !!! Great info!!!
I have no idea if that info's correct or not, but I'd urge everyone to be pretty sure of the actual laws in your area before believing info posted on the non-specific internet.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,006,150 times
"
28-1593. Service of uniform traffic ticket and complaint
A. A traffic complaint may be served by delivering a copy of the uniform traffic ticket and complaint to the person charged with the violation or by any means authorized by the rules of civil procedure. At the discretion of the issuing authority, a complaint for a violation issued after an investigation in conjunction with a traffic accident may be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested and delivered to addressee only, to the address provided by the person charged with the violation. Service of the complaint is complete on filing the receipt in the court having jurisdiction of the violation.
B. The original complaint shall be filed in a court having jurisdiction of the violation within ten court days of the time the complaint was issued. A peace officer, or duly authorized agent or someone paid to act on behalf of a traffic enforcement agency, may issue the traffic complaint.
C. If a law enforcement agency issues a citation as a result of a photo enforcement system and serves the citation in a manner other than what is prescribed by subsection A of this section, the agency shall inform the person that there is no obligation to identify the driver or respond to the citation. Failure to respond to the citation will result in the probability that the person will be formally served pursuant to state law and the Arizona rules of civil procedure which will likely result in the person being required to pay the cost of the service. "

LINK

Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,134,827 times
Quote:
Failure to respond to the citation will result in the probability that the person will be formally served pursuant to state law and the Arizona rules of civil procedure which will likely result in the person being required to pay the cost of the service. "
It sounds like they're saying if you don't respond, they'll send a server and you'll be charged for the summons server on top of the fine.

I also wonder if each municipality has the same laws as the state.

All good info!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 AM

9,773 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There is no town of Sun City. It is possibly county (I did not think they have cams) or Surprise - no suprise there, haha. In any case, good to know. I drive around that area fairly often and will have to keep that in mind. I too hate the low speeds, but understand. Those old folks were there long before all the speed demon yuppie tigers moved in up the road and they have a right to have their community remain peaceful and safe. But it is easy to get going too fast without even realizing it on those wide Sun City streets.
I will find out the exact street and DM you. I know it is not in Surprise (maybe El Mirage). There is another radar camera on 60 approaching Sun City Grand which is in Surprise. I don't know how long that camera has been there but my buddy showed it to me as we passed.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,787,214 times
The best way to beat a photo radar ticket is to not get one in the first place. Speed limits are posted throughout the city.

If one gets a citation, then the options on the back of the ticket are the best ways to take care of it, in my opinion. (I've gotten two in the past 7 years and on one I took the class, and the other I paid the fine.)

If one does not respond to the citation, their drivers license can, and have been, revoked without giving notice to the person.

Get caught driving without a valid drivers license and the driver will either go to jail, and/or the car will be impounded.

Getting a photo radar ticket is a pain, but standing on principal and not responding to a photo radar violation can become a bigger pain.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 AM

784 posts, read 923,889 times
What cities have cameras, looking to buy a vacation home this spring and will not even consider a city that its voters tolerate this.

Here in Illinois our politicians sold them to us for safety.....then we find out that 90% of the tickets were for turning right on red...not even for speeding or running red lights....now we can't get rid of them....btw...I have never gotten one ticket...its the principal of it.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Many cities have red light cameras, which are separate from "photo radar". We really do have a problem with red light running in metro Phoenix. Most cities in the metro areas, at least (I don't know about other parts of the state) have abandoned the fixed photo radar cameras, but may still use the moving ones, placed in vans. I saw one in Phoenix the other night.

City voters really have very little to do with the installation of photo radar; public outcry has contributed to the decreasing use of it in some cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area